Home

All pro football 2k8 in May GI issue

This is a discussion on All pro football 2k8 in May GI issue within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #57

OVR: 34
Re: All pro football 2k8 in April GI issue

It seems to me the best approach would be to lay down what their expectations are for a game. I'm not expecting them to give us promises, but more of their philosophy behind making this game. At least, that's what I'd like to see.

If we understand their philosophy of development, we'll better understand what the game would most likely present. Something that gives this game legs is this speculation that Madden hasn't delivered a next-gen football game experience, and 2K knows that and is of the belief that they are able to be the ones that actually do give us that. I suppose that's part of their thinking.

lol..I keep going back to what Spank said, but it's true. Had Madden blown the doors off of next-gen football, we wouldn't even be here talking about "All-Pro Football."
Old 03-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #58
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I think they are being hush hush because they are still working on the game and trying to add features. Also, giving out info this early can bite you in the ***. For example, last year NBA 2k's lead developer Rob Jones did an interview saying that they are trying to eliminate all sliding in NBA 2k7 and have "Winning Eleven" type footwork. Well when 2k wasnt able to get the new footwork system in the game because of time restraints, This board ripped them a new one. Best case scenario, we are still 3 months away from release so there really isnt a reason to release info now.

Still, I would like to see screenshots but its not like people here would be satisfied with just a few screenshots.
yeah, i understand that. a few screenshots, and basic info wouldnt hurt though. they should know certain people are gonna complain regaurdless. thats life on a message board. I think they know the strong majority here is ready to embrace this game.
i think we give the few loose cannons too much credit for being the consensus on the boards sometimes.

at any rate im just satified we are finaly getting the game this summer. wanting info is more of a itch that needs scratchin for me..lol....its not that im ticked off or anything. im just anxious to find out where my favorite Fb title is headin after leaving me for sooooo long lol
Old 03-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #59
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Could it be that VC wants to take an "under-promise and over-deliver" approach?
could very well be the case.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #60
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

All I know is this- The APF2K8 "info freeze" that is now going on a month and a half is cruel and unusual punishment for people who care about this game. This deliberate building of anticipation might be a good thing if in the end we are overwhelmed by whatever we find out this game is about. But if the info is so-so, or not equal to the guarded approach they are taking, it could lead to a big letdown.

We could find out disappointing stuff about the game...like there's no 32 teams crafted after the players/teams of the NFL like many of us expect. We could find out that the edits we hope we can do will only work offline, and not carry to online franchise, etc. (I know if these "edits" only carry to offline play, there's going to be a good degree of disappointment.)

And that's the problem with this monumental level of "hush hush hype-building". If they SERIOUSLY end up delivering the goods to please most everybody- its okay. If they don't, then the hype that built was unfounded, and might lead to some disappointment that could have been avoided by a bit more disclosure.

I personally find it hard to believe that an unlicensed football game needs to be this shrouded in secrecy, right of first reporting by Game Informer, and 2K employee gag-orders. On the surface, you'd think it is quite unnecessary for a game of this kind. Madden's dev cycle is pretty much set in stone at this point. It would be almost impossible for EA to reverse gears and copy something from 2K to stick it to them at this point.

About the only thing that would seem to merit this much secrecy is that perhaps 2K is still in the process of signing former players, and they don't want EA to interfere with that plan. (EA signed a bunch last year for Madden..)

But if you build this kind of hush-hush hype... you had better back it..big time. I hope they do.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:00 PM   #61
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
All I know is this- The APF2K8 "info freeze" that is now going on a month and a half is cruel and unusual punishment for people who care about this game. This deliberate building of anticipation might be a good thing if in the end we are overwhelmed by whatever we find out this game is about. But if the info is so-so, or not equal to the guarded approach they are taking, it could lead to a big letdown.

We could find out disappointing stuff about the game...like there's no 32 teams crafted after the players/teams of the NFL like many of us expect. We could find out that the edits we hope we can do will only work offline, and not carry to online franchise, etc. (I know if these "edits" only carry to offline play, there's going to be a good degree of disappointment.)

And that's the problem with this monumental level of "hush hush hype-building". If they SERIOUSLY end up delivering the goods to please most everybody- its okay. If they don't, then the hype that built was unfounded, and might lead to some disappointment that could have been avoided by a bit more disclosure.

I personally find it hard to believe that an unlicensed football game needs to be this shrouded in secrecy, right of first reporting by Game Informer, and 2K employee gag-orders. On the surface, you'd think it is quite unnecessary for a game of this kind. Madden's dev cycle is pretty much set in stone at this point. It would be almost impossible for EA to reverse gears and copy something from 2K to stick it to them at this point.

About the only thing that would seem to merit this much secrecy is that perhaps 2K is still in the process of signing former players, and they don't want EA to interfere with that plan. (EA signed a bunch last year for Madden..)

But if you build this kind of hush-hush hype... you had better back it..big time. I hope they do.
yes EA was doing a good job of countering every step they made in the begining, but at this point seems like every thing EA related should be a wash. or if not they can still sit on strategic info and throw us some fluff info, we'd eat that up too. wel the good part about it, is we know the info is coming, its just a matter of patience. Im sure as a favor to GI they dont want to steal the thunder from their article. with MLB2K7 on the shelves and the GI article out, im sure the info will start afterwards, and dont forget E3 is on the way as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #62
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have to say that I was once in the camp of "Give me any information . . . please" but I'm slowly becoming of the mind set that I don't want to hear much of anything other than a real release date.

I know that there is going to have to be some advertising and hype about a month before the release but anything before that really doesn't help move their product.

The more info I hear, the harder it becomes to wait for this title. I'm sure that Game Informer will give us more info than we ever dreamed (I hope) but there is no need to rush it until we get closer to the release date.

Now, that being said . . . I understand that there are certain pockets of 2K5 fans on the internet who should maybe be given a little special treatment. After the Game Informer drops, it would be nice to get a couple of "Exclusive" screenshots or interviews to Operation Sports and others as a quick little thank you. Then, after April, go back into hiding for a while. (Wow, 100 posts in four years . . . I'm such a lurker . . . )

Last edited by burnt_secondary; 03-08-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:24 PM   #63
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72

I'm sorry but I completely disagree. If you went to EA and asked a Madden developer about the upcoming features, he would say no comment. Same goes for most sports games. People need to keep in mind that we are still 3-5 months away from release.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #64

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'm sorry but I completely disagree. If you went to EA and asked a Madden developer about the upcoming features, he would say no comment. Same goes for most sports games. People need to keep in mind that we are still 3-5 months away from release.
I would have to say this is a different situation though. There's a lot of external things that surround this game (The success of 2K5, The exclusive license, the questioning of whether or not they'd make a game).

With this game comes more than the normal next version. When Greg Thomas confirmed the game, and then made specific that it was being made for the true fans of the series, and it would best represent football, he then switched the speculation of "Will they make a game" to "What will the game be like."

Now, if they choose to be hush hush, that's their call, but I don't see the reason to do so. 2K Football may have been great in 2005, but they have been non-existent while Madden has snowballed it's succes into the next-gen. If 2K Sports is indeed hush hush about this game, they face a bigger challenge in getting recognition. Pretty soon, the mammoth that is Madden will start showing itself and anything that competes with it will be a blip on the radar.

Last edited by DaveDQ; 03-08-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »