Home

Knowing that there is no franchise...

This is a discussion on Knowing that there is no franchise... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: If 2K sports knew that there wasn't going to be a franchise mode should they have...
Not come out with a game at all 102 34.69%
Continue and do what they are doing and release the game 192 65.31%
Voters: 294. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: Knowing that there is no franchise...

Interesting take on this. How can franchise be "left out" of APF when there never was an APF? This isn't NFL2K5.2 or NFL2K5 "The Return". This is a whole new game and this needs to be viewed on it's own merits.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #74
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
Interesting take on this. How can franchise be "left out" of APF when there never was an APF? This isn't NFL2K5.2 or NFL2K5 "The Return". This is a whole new game and this needs to be viewed on it's own merits.
I think that's kind of splitting hairs. Whether it's a new game or not, franchise modes are still going to be important to gamers, whether it was in previous versions or not.

I think it's even more critical when you figure this game is being sold to the masses, without player licenses and apparently at the same price point as all other premium games. Does not seem like a smart move to leave something like that out, when so many chips are already stacked against you.

That being said, maybe they have something else up their sleeve. Hell maybe they have something better than franchise mode up their sleeve.

Initally I was very disappointed at the news of no franchise, at this point, I am taking a wait and see approach.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #75
Banned

That's the best approach to take in my opinion for some. Just wait and see. For me, gameplay is king. That's the only thing that matters the most with the online league action being right up there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #76
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20

I don't know how I feel about doing exhibition games with generic players/teams. Acutally I do know, I hate the idea. If I had a team I could build through drafts the way I wanted then I could see the enjoyment and worthy of investing time in. I enjoy exhibition games in my sports games to play with certain teams/players, doubt I will have that feeling in 2k8.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #77
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
I dont think this will be reviewed on it's own merits. I think they will get "dinged" in reviews for having no franchise mode. What you have to understand is "franchise mode" is not an NFL thing. Its not like EA bought the exclusive rights to franchise mode. Simply put, had there been no deal struck between EA and the NFL, 2k SPorts would have been putting out NFL football games as well and probably with a franchise mode by now. The reality is that 2k set out to make a football game that's as close to what youd find in the NFL experience without it being the NFL (for licensing and legal reasons of course). We all know 2k Sports set out to make a game as close to real pro football as possible without using the NFL and ESPN licenses, franchise mode is something people have come to expect in thier sports titles. Just because APF2008 doesnt have an NFL license doesnt exclude them from this criticism.

The people at 2k Sports are not dumb. They KNOW what the fans are wanting. Unfortunately they arent going to be able to deliver on some of that this year. Do you think 2k Sports is saying "well this is OUR version of pro football, and in OUR version there is no franchise mode". Yeah, good luck with selling that to the public with a 60.00 price tag onto it. For me, no franchise mode means im either renting this game and buying Madden 08 OR im Buying APF and using it only for my online playing and Buying Madden 08 for my franchise fix. At the end of the day, I see Madden 08 unfortunately getting more spin time in my 360.

PSN = LordHveMercy08

XBL = Lord Hve Mercy

Add me now, because I don't like playing with little random 12 year olds.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #78
Banned

Well we have a good amount of votes in now. It's really hard for me to believe that 64 people think they shouldn't have brought out the game at all. As we all probably know there probably quite a few madden fanboy votes in there to skew the results but I'm also sure that some so-called football fans actually voted this way.

Even though a feature you may have wanted is not in the game that doesn't mean that the rest of us shouldn't have a game to enjoy. That's alot of audacity right there and that's why quite a few posters are getting jumped on about complaining about lack of franchise. There's an underlying theme in some posts saying that because there's no franchise well screw everybody , they should not put out the game. Thats utterly ridiculous.

This is why the poll was worded exactly the way it was worded. There's nothing "confusing" about it. It asked a question and gave two answers. Maybe the answer you wanted to skew into it wasn't there but it wasn't there for a reason.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #79
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

people will not get too deep into a game that has no-name players and strange stadiums. i'm not a madden fanboy (can't stand the game much anymore), but i honestly don't see this game going anywhere without a franchise mode and fake players. there's a reason why people here want up-to-date rosters every five minutes...this game just won't cut it.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:12 PM   #80
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
people will not get too deep into a game that has no-name players and strange stadiums. i'm not a madden fanboy (can't stand the game much anymore), but i honestly don't see this game going anywhere without a franchise mode and fake players. there's a reason why people here want up-to-date rosters every five minutes...this game just won't cut it.
I disagree. Earlier versions of FOF, FOF:TCY, BBCF and OOTP prove that claim to be false. Sometimes fictional leagues and players can be more engrossing, as there are no pre-concieved notions on the numbers every player should put up, or exactly what skillset every player should have.

It's actually quite a liberating experience on many levels.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »