Home

How important is franchise mode?

This is a discussion on How important is franchise mode? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How do you play most?
Exhibition against CPU 29 5.66%
Exhibition with friends offline 18 3.52%
Online 51 9.96%
Franchise 414 80.86%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-20-2007, 04:40 PM   #41
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: How important is franchise mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruPlaya
True.

The only thing I can think of .......APF2k8 Online Leagues.

Would that be a suitable replacement for a franchise mode?
Again, the amount of brodband users out there still is relatively small. And you are still trying to match up schedules with other people, which can be difficult not only due to your own tight schedule, but then time zones come in to play. Not always easy to schedule a game when people are 2 or 3 hours apart. Having a league deadline added to the mix, makes it even more difficult.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #42
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruPlaya
True.

The only thing I can think of .......APF2k8 Online Leagues.

Would that be a suitable replacement for a franchise mode?
You still have to be able to set aside time to play them. I'm like Bkrich. It would be so fun to play other "sim" style players but they're hard to find at 5:00AM. The main gripe for a lot of the franchise folks is that we either don't want to play online, like the GM thing, or (like myself) can't set aside the time to dedicate to an online league or have the friend get together. And that makes the loss of franchise huge in regards to long-term enjoyment. I loved the graphics and gameplay of Table Tennis and Fight Night Rd. 3. But the fact that they were fairly shallow in regards to a career mode killed their replay value for me. So FN got sold and TT sits on the shelf. Won't do that one again.

P.S. FNR3 was a longer play than Table Tennis.

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 04-20-2007, 07:00 PM   #43
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
See, there is an underlying assumption in your statement. The assumption is that people play these games to prove/achieve something or test their skills and show they are good at the game. That cetainly applies to a lot of people but there's also a significant proportion of people that just play to be entertained. These people tweak settings and sliders to get a balanced experience when playing the AI to make their franchise experience enjoyable. Some guys don't understand how anyone can feel they have achieved something by beating the AI. That's just it. To some, it's not about achieving. It's just about entertainment.

That's what I enjoy. I have more fun in seasons in which I struggle to make the playoffs than in seasons in which I win it all. For example, I absolutey love 2K basketball games. I suck at them, big time! I see on the boards here most people are playing on the 2 highest levels in these games. I struggle to be competitive on the level just above default. I don't care. I enjoy myself.
Great post. I agree 100%. The most enjoyable video game seasons I have had are those where I struggle to even make the playoffs. Every game is a big game. I pay close attention to the out of town scoreboard hoping for certain teams to lose etc.

A defining moment in my video game career was when I beat Mike Tyson with Little Mac on the NES. I was the only one in my neighborhood who could do it. And despite my title belt, no one seemed to care. Chicks weren't impressed and even my buddies who couldn't beat Soda Popinksi were not impressed. It was at that point that I decided that I would just have fun with video games and not let them define my manhood.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #44
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

Sports games should not be played everyday like RPG's and shooters IMO. Once you master a sports title, thats it! The enjoyment is over. I take no pleasure in going 16-0 and winning the Superbowl. It makes me laugh when I hear people complaining about Superbowl presentations 3 days after a game is released. If you are that good at these games, you might as well find a more challenging hobby.

Franchise mode will be missed but it takes me a few months to finish a 16 game season, so I should be OK.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:29 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 1

Who died and made jrivera34 the king of how games are to be played? If you could realize how dumb and arrogant you came off in that post I doubt you would have posted it.

It is now obvious that on this form, franchise mode is extremely important to users.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2007, 07:42 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 15

WHOa whho whoa whao whao whoa whao..........................

There isnt going to be a franchise mode?

Game Killer<========First time ive ever used this term
Old 04-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #47
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
I am in this boat as well. I usually play "Season Mode". After 16+ games with one team, I am ready to play in another division with different rivals and stadiums. The GM tasks aren't really my cup of tea either.
This is me, also. I love any sports game for the game management such as the role of a coach or coordinator.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhunker
This is me, also. I love any sports game for the game management such as the role of a coach or coordinator.
Thats cool and all, but im like BK. Im not as old mind you, but im out of college and on my own. I dont like the online expreience with the cheesers and im really into the virtual GM aspects of the game. Franchise is the last great innovation of any sports genre and to leave it out is idiotic in my mind.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »