Home

How will you guys build your team in AP2K8?

This is a discussion on How will you guys build your team in AP2K8? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:51 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: How will you guys build your team in AP2K8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I could not agree more.

I think I'd like to run a 3-4 myself. Just am not super knowledgable in the intricracies of it. IMO, it gives you a lot of flexibility, and I like the ability to bring that 4th pass rusher from multiple angles.

I guess if you're going to run a 3-4, getting that big space eating NT, who can force a double team every snap is the biggest key? Or is their a bigger key to that defense??
NT is the key cog to the 3-4. He doesn't always have to be super big, but he's got to be a player that can play behind the line of scrimmage, use leverage ect. Most of them are big though. Williams for the Chargers, Hampton for Pitt.

If you do not have an overly big guy you might be able to get by with a guy that has some size but uses leverage very well. But in this scenario you will be forced to bring more pressure than you might like. It will be nice to actually use a base defense, read my keys and defend the run instead of constant blitzing to deal with everything
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #26
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
NT is the key cog to the 3-4. He doesn't always have to be super big, but he's got to be a player that can play behind the line of scrimmage, use leverage ect. Most of them are big though. Williams for the Chargers, Hampton for Pitt.

If you do not have an overly big guy you might be able to get by with a guy that has some size but uses leverage very well. But in this scenario you will be forced to bring more pressure than you might like. It will be nice to actually use a base defense, read my keys and defend the run instead of constant blitzing to deal with everything
Agreed on defending the run.

Jamal Williams is exactly the type of player I had in mind. Imo, and granted my knowledge of that defense is limited, he's as good as there is in the league at that position. He also does a nice job getting pressure up the middle vs. the pass.

I'd like to be able to run those little overload blitzes the Chargers are so fond of from the 3-4. Not really that effective in the video game world, I wonder if they will be in this game.

Also, I also would prefer to have the ability to run an even front when going to nickel and dime packages. I wonder if I will have that ability?
Old 04-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 18

I wonder if they will bring back the play editor. I remember coming up with different blitzes out of the 3-4 back when both madden and 2k had the editors in their games. That made for some real strategic games. I had all kinds of zone blitzes going on, or sometimes I would drop 10 in coverage. I was Bill Belicic before Bill Belicic was Bill Belicic.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:09 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Agreed on defending the run.

Jamal Williams is exactly the type of player I had in mind. Imo, and granted my knowledge of that defense is limited, he's as good as there is in the league at that position. He also does a nice job getting pressure up the middle vs. the pass.

I'd like to be able to run those little overload blitzes the Chargers are so fond of from the 3-4. Not really that effective in the video game world, I wonder if they will be in this game.

Also, I also would prefer to have the ability to run an even front when going to nickel and dime packages. I wonder if I will have that ability?
Yeah those types of overloads have not been that effective in video games. I think one reason is because in the real game guys time stuff almost exactly right and are coming full speed on the snap where as in video games you generally have the guy just standing there waiting for the ball to snap.

A second reason is clear. They don't think the game will go over well if blitzes like that are very effective. Trust me I've had that conversation, not with 2k people though. At the end of the day, the 6-12 year old person has to play it too and if you are overloading where will be the fun for him because alot of them have no knowledge about making adjustments, they just want to pick up and play.

I am also hoping they have even front Nickel and Dime packages in their 3-4 books. The only way I would want an Odd Nickel front is if I can make adjustments with the line and linebackers, like aligning in stacks and blitzing from that.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #29
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Yeah those types of overloads have not been that effective in video games. I think one reason is because in the real game guys time stuff almost exactly right and are coming full speed on the snap where as in video games you generally have the guy just standing there waiting for the ball to snap.
That and from the 3rd person perspective most games play at, a QB really can see the whole field. Really can't catch him looking downfield and not feeling the pressure or get him from the backside.

Quote:
A second reason is clear. They don't think the game will go over well if blitzes like that are very effective. Trust me I've had that conversation, not with 2k people though. At the end of the day, the 6-12 year old person has to play it too and if you are overloading where will be the fun for him because alot of them have no knowledge about making adjustments, they just want to pick up and play.
Agreed, I've had this conversation with a 2k team member a few years ago and some similiar ones with him. I understand it, but it'd still be nice.

Quote:
I am also hoping they have even front Nickel and Dime packages in their 3-4 books. The only way I would want an Odd Nickel front is if I can make adjustments with the line and linebackers, like aligning in stacks and blitzing from that.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:55 PM   #30
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

After 2 1/2 years of Drew Bledsoe at QB, I know that my first pick will be a big, strong-armed, elusive guy (6'3" - 230+lbs.).

After that, I'll build my team outside-in on offense/defense, and my next 5 picks will probably look like this:

LT/RT: John Ogden-type mauler to protector QB's blindside.

CB: A fast shutdown CB to try and take away one-side of the field.

DE: Bruce Smith-type strong, durable pass-rushing end that can consistently get to the opposing QB.

RB: Doesn't have to be an elite RB, but has to be multifunctional one.

ILB: From playing with the Bills in 2k5, I know that a strong ILB is key to stopping the run.

After those key picks, I'll build the rest around speed and strength/bulk in the middle on defense. On offense, I'll be about building a ball control offense with 1 WR (Lee Evans/James Lofton-type) and 1 possession WR (ERic Moulds/Ander Reed-type).

I'll probably use a modified version of the Bills' playbook from 2K, but with better passing plays.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #31
Banned

kutte's Arena

OVR: 1

Wow Theres alota good strageys everyone is putting out. looks like lot of 3-4 defesive teams out there. I think this might be the biggest allure to this game. And me to the 3-4 list as well. I want to try and get dome run stopping Dline men, balanced OLB and a cover ILB Offense i want to find me a LT type runner and mix him with brusing type back, Slot reciver is possesion with 2 burners on the outside. Qb as long as he is accurate im ok with arm strength but not to weak. but the OL is gonna be tuff depending on the pool of players... I run West COast.. RUN RUN RUN... PASS PASS PASS. oh yeah would like to find one hard hitting SS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2007, 04:23 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Assuming that 2K does their job and defense runs correctly in the manner of NFL defenses, I don't know why everyone prefers the 3-4. Yes, certainly it gives you much more flexibility in blitz packages and LB/DE play, but it doesn't have the flexibility of the 4-3 Cover 2. I'm not talking the straight vanilla D (Cover 2 Man, Various Zones with flex blitzing dropping to a Cover 1 as the 8th man drops into the box).

The advantage to this defense is easily player personnel. You don't need dominant defensive players at any position. You just need young, instinctual players who can fly and a couple of monstrous play-makers at the safety position especially, linebacker position secondarily. Plus the defense is strong at creating turnovers and points. That's where I'm going.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »