Home

What NFL2K game did you have the most fun with?

This is a discussion on What NFL2K game did you have the most fun with? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: The NFL2K game you had the most FUN with......
NFL2K 3 2.42%
NFL2K1 6 4.84%
NFL2K2 5 4.03%
Sega NFL2K3 2 1.61%
ESPN NFL Football 12 9.68%
ESPN NFL2K5 96 77.42%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2007, 04:16 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: What NFL2K game did you have the most fun with?

2K3 didnt have gang tackling whatsoever. VC started it with 2K4. There wasnt any double teaming in 2K3 in terms of OL blocking but I actually prefer that more then I do with the double teaming in 2K5 because in 2K5, there were so many times where the C or OG would double a DT and then the LB would come right up the middle and tackle my RB for a loss. In 2K3, I could actually run up the middle effectively because the C would run up to engage the LB giving me a gap to run through.

And I also prefer the control setup in 2K3 over 2K5 (and 2K4). It was far better.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733
2K3 didnt have gang tackling whatsoever. VC started it with 2K4. There wasnt any double teaming in 2K3 in terms of OL blocking but I actually prefer that more then I do with the double teaming in 2K5 because in 2K5, there were so many times where the C or OG would double a DT and then the LB would come right up the middle and tackle my RB for a loss. In 2K3, I could actually run up the middle effectively because the C would run up to engage the LB giving me a gap to run through.

And I also prefer the control setup in 2K3 over 2K5 (and 2K4). It was far better.
I'd prefer 2k5 double team blocking though. It makes linebacker play fun. Besides in 2 player games that tackle was not always automatic That's one of the reasons I don't play linebacker in Madden the single blocking plus the pancakes = waste of time playing that position against the run IMO. Certain alignments should force double teams anyways. The great thing about the double teams is they were perfect for running I Formations to get the FB to lead up inside and take on that free linebacker, which is how it should work anyways and this is exactly why the FB in Madden doesn't bother to block front 7 players initially, because they are already accounted for, so he goes to the secondary. If he by chance blocks a front 7 player it is because one of the other guys up front ended up not blocking anyone at all.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:25 PM   #35
Rookie

dredogg90's Arena

OVR: 6

I'll have to say NFL 2k5. I played the heck out of Madden 2004, and thought it was the best out there. Then Madden 06 came out and it was horrible. I had formerly used OS to download Madden 05 rosters for the PC and I saw that 2k5 had updated rosters for the 2006 offseason, so I got 2k5 in April of 2006 and it was the best sports game I had ever played. And as of right now it still is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #36
MVP

wayne23's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I don't think that's the same BK. Not much you can do to fix that besides editing a ton of player ratings (I remember doing it, and it still didn't completely fix those problems). I'm kinda baffled at being mad that the CPU couldn't stop someone from running an unrealistic amount with the QB. Just stop running with the QB. Maybe you don't want to use Vick unless playing against a human but that's a strange criticism.

I'm torn between 2k1 and 2k5. I can't remember 2k1 the game all that well. It was the first online so there were plenty of holes that could be exploited online, but man did I log a lot of hours on that game. I remember laughing at the thought of buying a keyboard for a gaming console and then going back to the store a week later to get one to find they were sold out EVERYWHERE. I know this game changed the way I viewed football videogames in many ways, and I wasn't playing too much h2h at this point but I could still get in as many games online a night as I wanted.

2k5 was the closest thing to exactly what I wanted from a football game so that statement right there should make it the most fun, but it didn't hit me like 2k1 did.

I'm also torn between 2k1 and 2k5. For online play i'll have to say it was 2k1. For off line it was 2k5. But if I had to pick one it would be 2k5. That game is still the best overall football gaming experience to date.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #37
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I think I need to just switch to 2k5 too. I had as much fun online with it as 2k1. I played more games online with 2k1 but the leagues with trading and all and the better gameplay, animations, etc. I'll give 2k5 the nod... and I definitely played more 2k5 offline. Also played FPF, used VIP, etc.

2k1 is special b/c of the shock factor added to it being great for its time and the beginning of playing online. Thinking realistically about most fun, I think I will put 2k4 as a close second to 2k5 also. 2k4 really was a great game.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:42 PM   #38
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
2K3 didnt have gang tackling whatsoever. VC started it with 2K4.
See the way VC did their tackling as far back to 2k2, (the first 2k game I played) is the reason their game feels so much more alive than madden. With 2k4 and 2k5, they do allow an animation where two guys grab hold of the runner, where they previously didn't. I agree there, but that wasn't really what I was pointing to.

On 2k2 or 2k3, the RB could get hit and would either be going down right away or would shed the tackle quickly. The game allowed another defender to dive in or run in and tackle the RB as this was happeneing, creating all kinds of collision animations like being helicoptered, or flipped.

If you watch closely, even in 2k5 if a player is being tackled and is near the end of his being tackled animation, it won't let you latch on and change the momentum. However, if you hit the RB early in a tackle animation with your defender, you could often take over the momentum of the tackle and produce a new animation. The main difference is that 2k2 and 2k3 were even faster with their animations, so you wouldn't arrive at the tackle very often and not be able to make contact with the runner.

So you guys are right when saying the game didn't have true gang tackling back then, but with the way animations happened, it never felt like your extra defender was worthless.

The problem with Madden is how long their tackling animations are. If a player is breaking a tackle or being tackled, the animation might stretch out over 5 yards. Those times, your defender is completely worthless and will mostly likely fall over like a paper cutout if he gets too close. Even without the 2 player animation, 2k has always handled those problems much better.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 15

^^^

I know what you mean about the tackling in 2K3 but in 2K4 and 2K5, you can tackle the ball carrier with one defender and then switch to another defender and tackle the ball carrier with him as well thus making it a gang tackle. By definition, gang tackling is two or more defenders making contact and tackling the ball carrier at the same time. In 2k4 and 2k5, you can either join in on a tackle or two defenders can tackle the ball carrier at the same time.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #40
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
^^^

I know what you mean about the tackling in 2K3 but in 2K4 and 2K5, you can tackle the ball carrier with one defender and then switch to another defender and tackle the ball carrier with him as well thus making it a gang tackle. By definition, gang tackling is two or more defenders making contact and tackling the ball carrier at the same time. In 2k4 and 2k5, you can either join in on a tackle or two defenders can tackle the ball carrier at the same time.
I understand this too, but what I'm saying is that the manner in which 2k has always handled tackling animations has been the reason that it feels more realistic than madden. By definition, Madden has had gang tackling too if you count 2 player tackle animations, but that doesn't mean it's superior to pre-2k4 tackling, based on the method chaining of animations like I talked about.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »