Home

APF 2K8: Name Your Price

This is a discussion on APF 2K8: Name Your Price within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 18
Re: APF 2K8: Name Your Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
And it sucks. The consumers got a raw deal on the licensing move.

My personal hope is they market this game in a smart enough way, to generate enough sales, so that 2k football games don't become extinct all together. You know what I mean?
I know exactly what you mean.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 17

To whoever said that customer's equate price with quality, you are absolutely right. 2k would be foolish to price a generic football game anywhere under $39. The average Joe is gonna feel he's getting a cheap game with no real players, and not to mention that the game doesn't have franchise mode.

Also, if priced any lower than $39, the customers that may have been forced to choose between APF 2k8 and Madden might be able to buy both. I don't think that helps to cut into market share any.

In the end though, the only way 2k can get away with pricing this game very low (i.e. half price of Madden or potentially lower) is if the graphics are very amazing. A casual gamer may be persuaded to buy a cheap, generic football game if the graphics are out of this world. Beyond that though, I can't see 2k pricing this game any lower than $39, and $49 would be my guess as to where they price it.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 PM   #43
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_future420
To whoever said that customer's equate price with quality, you are absolutely right. 2k would be foolish to price a generic football game anywhere under $39. The average Joe is gonna feel he's getting a cheap game with no real players, and not to mention that the game doesn't have franchise mode.

Also, if priced any lower than $39, the customers that may have been forced to choose between APF 2k8 and Madden might be able to buy both. I don't think that helps to cut into market share any.

In the end though, the only way 2k can get away with pricing this game very low (i.e. half price of Madden or potentially lower) is if the graphics are very amazing. A casual gamer may be persuaded to buy a cheap, generic football game if the graphics are out of this world. Beyond that though, I can't see 2k pricing this game any lower than $39, and $49 would be my guess as to where they price it.
If it hurts them, then explain their big breakthrough in sales in 2004 with the $19.99 price tag. That was by far the best year sales wise, the low tag didn't seem to hurt them that year.

Cutting in to market share isn't their goal. Going head to head with Madden at this point isn't their goal. So if people can buy both then great.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:22 PM   #44
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
I don't buy the more harm than good. I don't think it was a coincidence, that 2k's best year sales wise, by far I might note, was the year that they dropped the price to 20 bucks. Seems to me that was the smartest marketing decision TT/VC has made to this point.
Well, we're always going to see things differently regardless. If I walk into a video store and see a straight to video movie for $5, then see The Departed or some other name movie next to it for $20 - I'd think most people would think the safer purchase would be the known quantity. Same with most things. Even VC said they weren't going to go w/that price the following year. I don't think you can use the 2K5 comparison because I doubt they'll spend the money marketing APF2K the way they did 2K5. They had Terrell Owens, who was still liked back then. They had a decent tv campaign. The had the NFL license/recognition. Either way, we could debate perception until the cows come home - like most things, I disagree w/you on your point. Personally I think a low price would be great - puts more money in my pocket. But I think it's foolish to think too low a price doesn't affect a person's perceptions on product quality. I'd think most knowledgeable consumers think "There must be something wrong w/it for being much cheaper" when they see two things w/a huge disparity in price

Quote:
I don't know where you get this. I can say this with the utmost confidence. This game coming out has zero to do with the quality of Madden. Madden could have been the greatest game ever made, and this game would still be hitting the stores.

As far as your opinion of the game quality of Madden, it's irrelevant. Sales, are all that matters to these companies. Fact of the matter is whether you want to accept it or not, Madden is not losing it's grip on the football game market.
I completely disagree. Blitz the League would exist, but this game wouldn't. It's a huge undertaking for VC to take this on - develop a fictional league and have it accepted, where the USFL, old AFL, XFL, etc. have failed. To act as if it's not a huge risk is ridiculous. I shouldn't say the game wouldn't exist - it might exist but in a much lesser capacity, with smaller expectations being placed on it. There's a reason they're not making a CFL game.

While there are many of us that would buy a VC football product regardless, if Madden were what it should be there would be no where near the demand there is for this game right now. The reason most of us have no problem paying $59.99 for APF2K is Madden's quality at $59.99 has been so poor. If you had a strong Madden - that had gang tackling/great player interaction, great presentation and visuals, online leagues, etc. - there's just no way you could tell me there'd be a market for a game doing the same thing, except generic. When I see people openly talking about this game on Madden forums - then I know the game has fallen off. There are a ton of factors that go into Madden sales - I'd argue quality isn't one of them. Or at least one that's high up on the reasons the game gets purchased.

Quote:
I hope you are right. But I don't think you are seeing this clearly and your need to defend all things 2k, is clouding your judgment. I think a $39.99 price point would be smart. But who knows. As someone pointed out so well earlier, we aren't the type of gamers 2k needs to worry about selling this game to. It's going to be EXTREMELY difficult to get the joe gamer, game buying public to invest 50 or 60 dollars in to an unlicensed football game. Especially one that hasn't been around, and that so few really know the background on.
Finally something we almost agree on. I said I thought $39.99-$49.99 should be the price. But $40 isn't a no-brainer price imo, so it's going to be risky regardless. Either way, you're sort of proving my point - it is going to be extremely difficult to get the regular gamer to buy into an unlicensed game. It'd be even moreso if Madden were good and didn't give them a reason to look elsewhere. So what would be the reason to bring out a generic football game?

While I could see VC wanting to make a football game, if they couldn't offer anything considerably better than what was already being offered it'd be foolish to take it on in the first place.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 04-25-2007, 03:53 PM   #45
Stayin Alive

GAMEC0CK2002's Arena

OVR: 23

It has to be cheaper than Madden is a given. It would be crazy if they went below $39.99 but I remember the saying the same thing when the rumors of a $20 price tag on 2k5 started surfacing.
IMO, $45 would be a nice introductory price tag.

They have to market this game correctly though. I hope they take the gloves off and throw some pot shots at EA/Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2007, 04:17 PM   #46
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I don't really care what they price it, so long as it's $60 or lower.

However, if it is below $60, I hope Gamestop gives me some of my money back (already paid it off in full).
Old 04-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
To me, with the features they've promised, I think a $29.99 price tag is more than fair.

Think of this:

At the time of their last football release, ESPN NFL2K5, most games were selling at a $49.99 price point. 2K5, knowing they were facing an uphill battle in competing with Madden, decided to go with a $19.99 price. That was for a game with an NFL license.

Fast forward to 2007, most games sell for $59.99 now. If they want to maintain the same strategy they used back in 04 with the NFL2K5 release, they should stick to a price point roughly half of what Madden goes for.

For you guys who are willing to pay $59.99? You're crazy! That's a 300% increase over their last football game...and that game had an NFL license and it had a franchise mode.

Agree 100%!

Sorry but only fools will pay $60 dollars for a game that doesn't have Nfl License, Franchise mode, customizable, and looks worse then 2K4! Sorry but not worth it, even for a diehard fan like me...
Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #48
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Sorry, but compared to Madden, in the football game genre, this game has zero name recognition.
Very true... and this was also true when 2k5 came out so even more true now. There are still very few people that even know the nfl2k franchise existed, fewer who even know who VC are and what games they did before and even fewer that are following all this apf stuff.

I don't know why even worry about the price other than for conversation. I don't think any of these games should cost $60 but they do... all new games on these systems have pretty much cost the same price, it never mattered about which had what features and which didn't. As usual I'll see what the game has and decide if it's what I'm looking for. If so, I'll pay the price if it's comparable to all the other games on the system.

Obviously, like everyone else here, I'm not who they need to worry about but I think most people have that same philosophy. You want a game for the 360/ps3, this is what you'll have to pay for it.

TJ, your example is pretty far off. From 2k-2k4 the game was priced the same as every other game including Madden. The 20 dollar price tag was done for a reason, not to establish a new norm. It's possible they want to do a similar marketing strategy but there's really no reason to expect it as they aren't competing with madden as they were back then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »