Home

Who says 2k cant market?

This is a discussion on Who says 2k cant market? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #33
MVP

Dondadda's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Who says 2k cant market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
And Ray Lewis was never in any way accused of murdering anyone.

God I hate these discussions. Can we please just not talk about OJ at all here. There are 50 forums here... even if it's related to anything it just turns into a bunch of ignorant posts on one side of the fence or the other. Lets just talk about the game.

Other than the initial shock over his inclusion, I don't think a discussion about OJ (unless we are talking about his ratings and how well they animate him) belongs in any of the other threads - but he is a valid topic for this one (marketing) . . . as long as we keep it to the marketing issue only and forget about talking about the murder case or whether we have any personal objections. Let's face it - 2K knew what they were doing, and they probably did it for a reason. And I certainly hope that they have a great response prepared if some one asks them if / how OJ is being compensated for appearing in the game.

I think that this is an intriguing issue, and it has potential to become something major. I've mentioned it to several adult non-gamers and casual gamers, and they think that it's a really interesting story (and they want to learn more).
Old 04-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #34
Pro

FORMULA316's Arena

OVR: 14

I just email CNN and WGR 550 (in Buffalo) re: O.J. Simpson's placement in APF 2K8 - who knows, maybe this will be mainstream news sooner than later. It's a curious decision to say the least for 2K to put O.J. in the game.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:16 PM   #35
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda
Let's face it - 2K knew what they were doing, and they probably did it for a reason. And I certainly hope that they have a great response prepared if some one asks them if / how OJ is being compensated for appearing in the game.
Well, can't say for certain that VC "knew what they were doing" - it seems some of you are determined to make it a story judging by the past few responses. Unfortunate, since some have been trying to avoid it being an issue. I wonder if Ty Cobb has appeared in any baseball games...

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #36
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Other than the initial shock over his inclusion, I don't think a discussion about OJ (unless we are talking about his ratings and how well they animate him) belongs in any of the other threads - but he is a valid topic for this one (marketing) . . . as long as we keep it to the marketing issue only and forget about talking about the murder case or whether we have any personal objections. Let's face it - 2K knew what they were doing, and they probably did it for a reason. And I certainly hope that they have a great response prepared if some one asks them if / how OJ is being compensated for appearing in the game.

I think that this is an intriguing issue, and it has potential to become something major. I've mentioned it to several adult non-gamers and casual gamers, and they think that it's a really interesting story (and they want to learn more).
It doesn't belong in any thread in this forum. And I'm not knocking you for how you'd like to talk about it as it "should" be able to be done however the same is true with race and there's a reason that's not allowed on any of these forums. It's an easy way to make a thread go down the toilet. I'd rather avoid the topic all together than take the risk to find out about its marketing angle.

Again, you're not the one I'm worried about... the other thread proved that it can't happen in a civilized manor in a forum about a video game.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #37
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

I think people are trying too hard to go out of their way to give 2k "free press" or whatever motives they have. This is a non issue, as this is in the context of football. O.J. Simpson is enshrined in both the College Football and Pro Football Hall of Fames. It's no stretch to call him a football legend deserving a character in a football videogame. This isn't even like Blitz the League using LT and Romo to glorify their bad behavior.

The lawyers will decide how OJ will deal with the money he gets from this, just like with his other appearances related to football.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #38
MVP

Dondadda's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Well, can't say for certain that VC "knew what they were doing" - it seems some of you are determined to make it a story judging by the past few responses. Unfortunate, since some have been trying to avoid it being an issue. I wonder if Ty Cobb has appeared in any baseball games...

Of course they knew what they were doing. OJ in this game = GUARANTEED publicity if some one in the mass media picks up the story. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. Ty Cobb, Ray Lewis, LT, Romo, or any one else in the history of sport does not have the same polarizing, ratings-grabbing power that OJ Simpson has over this modern day America (not to mention that most Americans have never heard of Cobb, Lewis, LT, or Romo - but nearly all of them in their mid-20s and older have an opinion on OJ). OJ in this game + even a modicum of exposure = 10x the hype for any other 2K sports game that's ever been released.

Although I'm confident that we can all have a calm, rational discussion about this without arguing guilty / not guilty, I'll honor WWharton's request and refrain from posting further about this until it becomes a mainstream story.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:55 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Wanna bet? It's only a matter of time before some talking head notices and decides to create a monster story out of it.

If you think that this will never become a story, you are kidding yourself BIG TIME.

Futher, I think this was a calculated decision by 2K. This game is going to get a ton of free pub thanks to OJ being in it. Casual or "retired" older gamers will hear about this game through the "buzz" (even if it is negative on its face), and decide to get back into gaming just because of it, thanks to the roster of old-time players.
maybe i am kidding myself, but i dont see why anyone would be surprised OJ is in a video game featuring retired NFL legends and players. i wouldnt have given it a second thought myself.................

Last edited by TeeDogg; 04-30-2007 at 06:07 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »