Home

2 tap or not 2 tap. that is the question

This is a discussion on 2 tap or not 2 tap. that is the question within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: 2 tap or not 2 tap. that is the question

blackvivaldi's response

Quote:
Fine motor skills can be defined as coordination of small muscle movements which occur e.g., in the fingers, usually in coordination with the eyes.

Dexterity in any video game is a skill...To be good any video game you need to be intellectually competent and dexteric...if you not capable of mashing the button faster than the other guy, then thats too bad...The button mashing is basically the equavalent of actually running with the football...Just like any shooting game, the one with the fastest finger/trigger wins....

Also, the main reason the button tapping is used for acceleration is to limit the amout of multiple movements you can make at full speed...Most of the time one has to slow down to give a stiff arm or do a spin...Same with 2k5, you find yourself letting off the button tapping when its time to do another trick...hope it makes sense....
Old 05-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

I think 2k should stick with their gameplay. I think the tapping is a good gameplay mechanic. I've always viewed tapping as user controlled acceleration. I'm not going to get into an argument about which one is more realistic though. To me it's just two different focuses. One developer is saying hey, this guy can run that fast, but you gotta work to get him there. The other is saying he can run that fast, just press this button and he'll get there.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 10

Well it never bothered me. I'm a horrible button masher but never had any problems getting to or staying at top speed. If it's still there I won't mind and if it's gone I won't mind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2007, 02:21 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

coogrfan's response

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackvivaldi View Post
Fine motor skills can be defined as coordination of small muscle movements which occur e.g., in the fingers, usually in coordination with the eyes.

Dexterity in any video game is a skill...To be good any video game you need to be intellectually competent and dexteric...if you not capable of mashing the button faster than the other guy, then thats too bad...The button mashing is basically the equavalent of actually running with the football...Just like any shooting game, the one with the fastest finger/trigger wins....

Also, the main reason the button tapping is used for acceleration is to limit the amout of multiple movements you can make at full speed...Most of the time one has to slow down to give a stiff arm or do a spin...Same with 2k5, you find yourself letting off the button tapping when its time to do another trick...hope it makes sense....

WWHARTON, i shall explore your sie l8ter...too tired.
This got me to thinking about one of the many discussions we've had around here on this subject:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
You guys are all focusing on the offensive side of the ball, and I agree with a lot of the points you've made. As a ballcarrier, 2k's system can be a lot of fun. The problem was on the other side of the ball.

Button-mashing based sprinting makes it extremely difficult for a defender to run down a ballcarrier from behind, even if that defender has a higher speed rating. The pursuer is at a disadvantage because in order to attempt a diving tackle you have to stop tapping for an instant, and the seperation that results means there's a very strong probablity that the defender will miss.

Now look at the same situation in Madden. The pursuing player holds down the sprint button and if he can get close enough (based on the relative speed ratings of the players involved), he can roll his thumb over to the dive button without the brief, fatal pause you have w/the 2k system.
Imho, this is an area where Madden is clearly more "sim" than 2k.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #13
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

eldogg's post (the relevant part)

Quote:
also did the op ever say if you still tap the button or just hold it down. tapping is cool in my book. in 2k it's not like who ever taps the fastest wins. quicker backs cover more ground faster, than a lb or dline or such. i think that if you are controlling a defensive player that is slower you will notice it off top and if you have a player that is equal in speed or close to it you will see the closing speed.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

psufan

Quote:
After hearing everyones thoughts on the tapping vs. holding for speed burst I thought of some ideas.

1. Limited amount of speed burst. I could be wrong but it seems that football games don't have a certain length of time for the speed burst and hockey, basketball, and baseball do. Could easily be wrong but through my gaming experiences, it just doesn't seem like it.

2. Timing of the tapping. This would be very difficult to create but would be very fun in my opinion. The player has to time the tapping of the speed burst button with the runner's feet. I actually popped in Madden and tried this out and it wouldn't be that far fetched of an idea. Reaction time is the key opposed to button smashing.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts or ideas on the subject.
Old 05-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #15
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

flying finn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by psufan View Post
After hearing everyones thoughts on the tapping vs. holding for speed burst I thought of some ideas.

1. Limited amount of speed burst. I could be wrong but it seems that football games don't have a certain length of time for the speed burst and hockey, basketball, and baseball do. Could easily be wrong but through my gaming experiences, it just doesn't seem like it.

2. Timing of the tapping. This would be very difficult to create but would be very fun in my opinion. The player has to time the tapping of the speed burst button with the runner's feet. I actually popped in Madden and tried this out and it wouldn't be that far fetched of an idea. Reaction time is the key opposed to button smashing.
I'm interested to hear others thoughts or ideas on the subject.
I liked the way it was it 2k5. Just one more game play mechanic in the user's control. If we didn't want to have this control we should just play head coach.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 16

Wwharton just quote the orignal poster. Not the quote from the previous poster than the actual poster. Makes it confusing how you are doing it right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »