Home

i'm surprised they went Legends instead of another direction

This is a discussion on i'm surprised they went Legends instead of another direction within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16
i'm surprised they went Legends instead of another direction

allow me to explain a little bit, as this is tied into franchise. Now, first i'm not really complaining but moreso of wish they had went a difderent direction instead.

Using legends in a generic game seems a bit weird to me. So i can use Jery Rice but I cannot use him against the Cowboys, on the 49'ers, in the Super Bowl, or anything remotely recognizable. I'm surprised they went that direction since it seems contradictory in many ways.

I would have liked them to go in the following direction as I believe without the Legends, we would have a franchise.

1. use generic players with progression, contracts, age, etc. Have it set up that when you start the franchise, you either have an auto generated team or have a straight away fantasy draft. Heck, CH2k has generic names out of the bag, so why not this game?

2. allow progression of your franchise and full customization. I'm talking about possible city moves like all star baseball used to have, jersey alteration, stadium customization, all tied into how well you progress along your franchise

3. Have success unlock newer upgrades, customization, stadium size, franchise rewards such as more money towards free agents, etc.

4. Just set it up so that there still is a draft just like in the NFL each yeah. I know it would be a pain to program since you can't use any real school names (i think they can't with NCAA Footbal out) but it still would allow a better flow.

5. if you want to have legends for a good selling point, then just either have a different legends mode, possibly have them as unlockables for those who want that, or just have them available for exhibition and online modes.

I think the first 3 points are the main ones though. If you are going to take the time to develop 60 ft cowboys and focus on fantasy elements of the game, then make that the FOCUS of the game rather than a sidebar with Legends being the focus. How long are we going to get excited about playing as Howie Long for? Sure it's great in the beginning, but what is going to keep us coming back for me? It seems they surely are banking on the online aspect of the game mostly. Thats great and i love playing online as the next, but the focus of the game should really be the fantasy aspect of this whole new created "league"

Embrace that. We'll buy it if the gameplay is spot on as they are known to make it. Allow us the ability to get lost in a 10 year franchise, have our own customization and tweaking of everything. Heck, look at how successful Forza was. Why do you think? Because it was built on a fantasy aspect of customization and tweaking with solid gameplay. I really wish they would have went that way instead.

Thanks for reading
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: i'm surprised they went Legends instead of another direction

I agree 100% with what you wrote.

It's like they 're not trying to be the NFL , then later their big news is, look at our lineup! NFL greats!! ...

All generic would have been the best way to go.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:40 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 1

Another franchise post .....ppl just dont quit...

if you want a franchise play madden...nuff said..
Old 05-02-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
Embrace that. We'll buy it if the gameplay is spot on as they are known to make it. Allow us the ability to get lost in a 10 year franchise, have our own customization and tweaking of everything. Heck, look at how successful Forza was. Why do you think? Because it was built on a fantasy aspect of customization and tweaking with solid gameplay. I really wish they would have went that way instead.

Thanks for reading
Good post; interesting thread although it piggybacks the franchise importance thread. I think your points were well laid out. I too was surprised by the degree Legends are involved in the game - 200+, and all of them not really legendary football players of course. And the number of legends announced probably surprised most people.

But the sheer volume of legends gave the game an instant appeal that could not have been achieved had they not gone that route. And I don't think franchise mode is anywhere near worth the name recognition the game will get from presenting the Legends angle. There's a heightened level of excitement and expectation because of that angle. This game is still a huge risk. If it doesn't first establish itself, playing a ten-yr franchise won't matter. I never touched Madden 07's franchise mode because of reasons I've previously stated. I guess ultimately it really does come down to "how important is franchise mode" in a way. And I think the Legends angle is far more important for a 1st year generic football game trying to establish itself

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-02-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.D.

Nothing wrong with this thread. It's bringing up some points that haven't been brought up yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
24fps

triplej96's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
allow me to explain a little bit, as this is tied into franchise. Now, first i'm not really complaining but moreso of wish they had went a difderent direction instead.

Using legends in a generic game seems a bit weird to me. So i can use Jery Rice but I cannot use him against the Cowboys, on the 49'ers, in the Super Bowl, or anything remotely recognizable. I'm surprised they went that direction since it seems contradictory in many ways.

I would have liked them to go in the following direction as I believe without the Legends, we would have a franchise.

1. use generic players with progression, contracts, age, etc. Have it set up that when you start the franchise, you either have an auto generated team or have a straight away fantasy draft. Heck, CH2k has generic names out of the bag, so why not this game?

2. allow progression of your franchise and full customization. I'm talking about possible city moves like all star baseball used to have, jersey alteration, stadium customization, all tied into how well you progress along your franchise

3. Have success unlock newer upgrades, customization, stadium size, franchise rewards such as more money towards free agents, etc.

4. Just set it up so that there still is a draft just like in the NFL each yeah. I know it would be a pain to program since you can't use any real school names (i think they can't with NCAA Footbal out) but it still would allow a better flow.

5. if you want to have legends for a good selling point, then just either have a different legends mode, possibly have them as unlockables for those who want that, or just have them available for exhibition and online modes.

I think the first 3 points are the main ones though. If you are going to take the time to develop 60 ft cowboys and focus on fantasy elements of the game, then make that the FOCUS of the game rather than a sidebar with Legends being the focus. How long are we going to get excited about playing as Howie Long for? Sure it's great in the beginning, but what is going to keep us coming back for me? It seems they surely are banking on the online aspect of the game mostly. Thats great and i love playing online as the next, but the focus of the game should really be the fantasy aspect of this whole new created "league"

Thanks for reading
I agree but whatever 2k football I can get I will take .
Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
Rookie

Magno Gonzalez's Arena

OVR: 3

I agree... franchise is really important... gameplay is what really matter though and im a fan of the 2k series, so as long as they deliver the best gameplay possible in a football game, ill buy and support it, and maybe we will have a franchise later on. I'd like that... is it 100% sure that we will not have a fantasy franchise mode as one of the possible gameplay types ? there is still a long way till this game is released.

i would really like them to let the game very open to customization, there is a huge comunity and in a couple of months after release we could be getting something similar to what option files does for winning eleven... release the oficial game with fantasy franchise and allow customization so that the comunity could come up with the real roosters.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:18 AM   #8
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.D.

really no need for that post. You're contributing nothing to the thread, so dont hit that reply button..

well, i'm glad a few people so far see my point and i'm not alone. It just seems they really could have just embraced their new niche instead of clinging onto something that forces the game into an "unnatural" direction instead of something we all could have fun with. I still remember all the forza talk posting up custom cars. Imagine the amount of interest we could have with serious franchise customization and talk...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »