Home

QB Vision Cone alternatives

This is a discussion on QB Vision Cone alternatives within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: QB Vision Cone alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I give them props for trying to implement something new, but I hate the thing myself. I didn't have good enough stick control for doing manual movement of the cone, and it completely threw my timing off when using the double-tap method. As far as what VC could implement, I'm not looking for anything revolutionary. Perhaps some mechanic could be in place to allow you the option of leading your receiver (up on the analog), shading him further left/right, or purposely underthrowing (back on the analog). Could perhaps be used in conjunction w/the bumpers to allow someone to purposely throw high or low

I agree on all counts, both throw my game off when trying to use them. Im begining to think they should leave it alone till an great idea surfaces.

oh and yes more control on max passing would be nice, best addition ever made to the passing game. IMO
Old 05-02-2007, 05:04 PM   #10
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
agreed, for head to head play the defender would have to see that portion of the field light up or something, and it has to be a big enough advantage to the QB to make the D want to bite.
That's the thing (also in response to LBz). It has to work against the QB but also has to work for the defense. Corners biting for picks usually are reading where the QB's looking and that's hard to see without the "flashlight". And like teedogg said, the QB can freeze a manually controlled safety (or even cpu controlled I guess) by looking off as well.

TeeDogg, as for your post about 2nd nature, think about the QB's line of site vs what we see on the field. Like I said it's just like FPF. The difference is with Madden you can see the guy you want to throw to so it just seems annoying going through all these steps to get it to him. In reality you can't see that guy until you turn your head. In FPF you had to look before throwing but in Madden and every other game you can see the guy without turning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I give them props for trying to implement something new, but I hate the thing myself. I didn't have good enough stick control for doing manual movement of the cone, and it completely threw my timing off when using the double-tap method. As far as what VC could implement, I'm not looking for anything revolutionary. Perhaps some mechanic could be in place to allow you the option of leading your receiver (up on the analog), shading him further left/right, or purposely underthrowing (back on the analog). Could perhaps be used in conjunction w/the bumpers to allow someone to purposely throw high or low
Don't those things ignore what the cone was trying to accomplish? That's a different aspect... I think they actually did mention improving that aspect btw.

Funny thing is I think the cone is very similar to the sprint/charge system. It's an attempt to get the user to feel what an actual player would feel on the field. The internal clock, what they have to do to look from one side to the other... really the best system to distinguish between user controlled QBs. It's realistic but doesn't look it so gets blasted. Maybe they should've made it a mini game to use the cone.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

It wasn't implemented well that's all I'm saying. They know it which is the reason why it has faded into obscurity and nothingness.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

any other ideas LB? maybe variations of the cone or what fever did? i know you played fever more than most people i know of around here. i didn't play enough to get a feel for what they were trying to do but it seemed interesting and someone else stated it was an easier to use attempt at something like this.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:17 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
any other ideas LB? maybe variations of the cone or what fever did? i know you played fever more than most people i know of around here. i didn't play enough to get a feel for what they were trying to do but it seemed interesting and someone else stated it was an easier to use attempt at something like this.
Fever Read and Lead was sloppy and it wasn't user friendly. I honestly do not have ideas. All I know is from discussing the issue with these people is that it didn't go over like they thought it would. The same for FEVER when it was here. Things just didn't go the way they thought it would. The thing is they were talking about ways to improve it. That's not the case with EA. The forgot it altogether and moved on because it was not really well received and it made the rest of the game kinda worse because they had to add random gap blitzing - which was VERY dumb - so you could have time to throw it. Just leave things like this out of games because all they do is force the developer to weaken another side of the ball so the user can get a shot of using stuff like this. I don't want brain dead defenders just so the other guy can get a shot. And you see what happened with it. It sank like a battleship.
Old 05-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

so, if you remember FPF well (haven't played it in a LONG WHILE) would you say the gameplay was different than the regular mode? i don't remember it being, besides the ability to slow things down on occassion. my point is, generally speaking, wasn't the cone the same concept? actually the cone may have been even easier considering you COULD throw to more than one target within your vision. wouldn't that suggest it could be done without dumbing down the defense?
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #15
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Don't those things ignore what the cone was trying to accomplish? That's a different aspect... I think they actually did mention improving that aspect btw.

Funny thing is I think the cone is very similar to the sprint/charge system. It's an attempt to get the user to feel what an actual player would feel on the field. The internal clock, what they have to do to look from one side to the other... really the best system to distinguish between user controlled QBs. It's realistic but doesn't look it so gets blasted. Maybe they should've made it a mini game to use the cone.
I didn't mind the cone itself, I just couldn't use it. And insult to injury, current gen Madden made it mandatory to play with it ON on the higher difficultly levels. I was willing to accept Madden current gen's other shortcomings, but assumed they'd at least give you the option to play without it. So the game became useless to me. There was a guy on the forums that did a huge writeup as to why VC wasn't practical - too lazy to dig it out.

For me, I'm already focusing downfield on trying to see open receivers anyway. I understand it's also trying to give you an advantage for looking off receivers, as well as punish you for focusing on a receiver too much - that part is overdone imo. And having to double tap to throw to my intended receiver is just as impractical as VC's double tap to pump fake to a receiver, if not more so. Either way, I don't fault them for trying something different - just saying it wasn't for me

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-02-2007, 05:44 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 12

what about this, the cone or a form of it comes up after the snap but is controled by a shoulder button. it automaticaly shades the Primamry recievrs area of the field. the shoulder button shifts it to mid field, left, or right. but it instanly switches, no need to swing it around. viewing choices could be split into 3 basic areas, Left, mid, Right. a simple button press changes the QB's viewing area.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »