Home

APF 2k8 releasing in July?

This is a discussion on APF 2k8 releasing in July? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #33
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: APF 2k8 releasing in July?

i didnt say they werent marketable, i just dont think that a game without the nfl, and without a franchise mode is marketable for 60 bucks

just to add i am gonna buy this game, but thats because i am a die hard for the 2k gameplay, however i dont think that i fall into the category of average joe football fan that they want to market to.

Last edited by ManiacMatt1782; 05-10-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: an addition
Old 05-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
... nor could i see EASpot doing it either. ...

Didn't gamespot rate 2k5 higher than Madden 05?
Old 05-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
Don't underestimate the power of the NFL legends marketability. Customers will identify with guys like Jerry Rice and John Elway and may not even realize that it's not an NFL game until after they buy it and try it out. By that point they'll be hooked on the gameplay.
That's one thing a lot of people here don't understand. Most people outside of this site love Madden's gameplay. Most people want to score 50 points a game. Most people like scoring 100 points with Kobe. Most people like having 30 99 overall players in NCAA. Most people do not like establishing a ground game or running a 5 yard curl to pick up a first down. A lot of people actually don't like 2k5.

That said, nobody's buying this casually at $60 for Jerry Rice. I'll buy it, but it will flop hard if it's released anywhere close to Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #36
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

You guys have to realize that legends bring back fond memories. People are more open to legends. I put it into the basketball concept. If there was a basketball game with legends like Jordan, Pippen, Magic, Kareem, Bird, Dr. J, ect in it, it would get eaten up. Then again, I'm not too sure how supportive the fans are of legends of the game. NFL has definitely done a great job of taking the individual out of the game. I don't think this game will flop. Also, one thing that this game will have is the lifespan. It can still be picked up a few months/years later with the same roster. There won't need to be updated rosters or anything because the fun is just right there. I sure do dislike mindless gamers who just play to their comfort and not to the quality........
Old 05-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #37
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma4Life
Don't underestimate the power of the NFL legends marketability. Customers will identify with guys like Jerry Rice and John Elway and may not even realize that it's not an NFL game until after they buy it and try it out. By that point they'll be hooked on the gameplay.
I kind of disagree here.

While the older gamers are going to have a better grasp of the historical players, the 15 year old kid, who was born in 1992, probably is not going to know who Gayle Sayers or **** Butkus was and while he probably heard of Barry Sanders, he was probably too young to actually see him play. The same goes for Elway, Rice and most other legends. They may have seen them play at the tail end of their careers, but aren't going to be able to remember these guys like someone in their 20's or 30's might.

Football to them is Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

These kids want to play with Bush, Young and Vick and I bet the younger crowd, who probably make up the majority of gamers, is where 2K is going to lose out on sales. They can probably capture a lot of the 25+ group, but I don't think they get the younger group, especially under 18 or so.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #38
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
You guys have to realize that legends bring back fond memories. People are more open to legends. I put it into the basketball concept. If there was a basketball game with legends like Jordan, Pippen, Magic, Kareem, Bird, Dr. J, ect in it, it would get eaten up. Then again, I'm not too sure how supportive the fans are of legends of the game. NFL has definitely done a great job of taking the individual out of the game. I don't think this game will flop. Also, one thing that this game will have is the lifespan. It can still be picked up a few months/years later with the same roster. There won't need to be updated rosters or anything because the fun is just right there. I sure do dislike mindless gamers who just play to their comfort and not to the quality........
I wonder-is it so much that NFL fans are less supportive of legends, or is it that a lot of fans (me included) tend to associate those players with the uniform and number they wore? When you think of Barry Sanders do you think of his face, or a #20 Lions jersey?

I like the idea of a legends game, but to be honest I don't think I'm going to like seeing Barry, or Emmitt, or Elway in unfamiliar uni's. That may seem shallow, but what can I say?
Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #39
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
Again, I think this works to the guys that were around to see Jordan, Bird and Magic in their prime. For all of the younger kids, the NBA is LeBron, Kobe and Wade. It's all they know. They see highlights of some of the older games, but they didn't get to see Jordan on NBC every Saturday.

I'm under the impression you connect with players you grew up watching. I grew up with Montana, Rice, Young and Taylor. This is why this game excites me. If the cutoff date for historical players was say 1975, this game wouldn't appeal to me nearly as much. I know about Sayers and Butkus, Bradshaw and Swan, but I never got to see those guys play except in old highlights. I never got a chance to root for them or against.

My excitement from this game comes from playing as players I watched growing up, not players before my time. I don't know if others feel the same way, but that is how I look at it.

Again, for the older half of sports video game players, I think this game will do well, but for the younger half, I see this game flopping. The NFL to a 15 year old is about Beggie Bush and Randy Moss and Michael Vick. Not John Elway, Reggie White and John Taylor.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
... They can probably capture a lot of the 25+ group, ...

If they do this, they will make a nice profit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »