Home

The release date...is Taketwo missing the window?

This is a discussion on The release date...is Taketwo missing the window? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2007, 04:12 PM   #57
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: The release date...is Taketwo missing the window?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
This is the third year of NG Madden. The previous two were quite the opposite. Granted it's a what have you done for me lately kinda world, but have to keep some perspective
I don't know Spank, I think EA was forthcoming- even with bad news last year. A year ago, they had already dropped the lame "the games will differentiate themselves across platforms" (translation, NG wouldnt' have all the features of current gen)

And we were already complaining (rightfully so..) about NCAA next Gen playbooks vs. current gen, etc.

So I don't think EA was tight lipped last year, if that is what you are implying.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #58
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
actually Live got yearly good reviews, even being close to nba2k in terms of reviews the year before they released "freestyle" b/c the gameplay was going to hell in a hand basket. even triple play got good reviews considering how bad the game was.
I remember a thread over at gaming-age clowning them about that. I think it was Live 05 or 06, where they gave it a 9 while saying it wasn't arcadey. They worded it a certain way though, and people clowned them for it so much they went back and edited the review - without saying anything of course.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 PM   #59
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
How soon we forget? We're talking about here and now, not last year.

Fact: APF2k8 was facing an uphill battle from the outset. Fact: VC has allowed EA to seize the high ground without so much as a hint of resistance.

VC is blowing it, big time. They need to get some screens, some vids, anything out there asap, or run the risk of becoming an afterthought come August.
Well, we've seen one sizzle trailer (that wasn't all that sizzlin') and a bunch of hype talk. The NBA Live folk blogged a ton last year, if I recall correctly. Either way, it remains to be seen what Madden 08 will be. But even with the small amount of info we have, I still think APF looms large just based on the fact it can elicit this kind of thread response

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #60
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

I'm like most of us on this forum that fit under the idea that 2K's FB game is going to rock and dare I say be better than EA's 3rd try. Although madden is sounding promising so far.
I like most of us on this forum will play all 3 FB games and likely end up owning 2 or 3 of them. But for the majority of the gaming public will likely only buy one football game if they want a new FB game.
If 2K releases there game after NCAA and at the same time Madden hits the shelves then I see NO casual gamers touching it especially if it's priced the same. It would take 9.5 ratings or so to grab they market if the wait to realease it and compete with madden.
But if they release with NCAA or even a week before, then WOW I think even casual gamers will check it out.

Last edited by xylocaine; 05-22-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #61
Rookie

madmastermind's Arena

OVR: 2

2K is not going to outsell Madden as it's been stated thousands of times before on here and everywhere else for that matter. If the game's not done, it's not done. The last thing I want is for 2K to 'Hurry Up' and try to release it before Madden or NCAA for that matter. I'll wait till the end of the year -- just as long as they get it done right.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2007, 06:44 PM   #62
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I was responding to this: "LOL, I wish I could pull up some quotes from the earlier nfl2k days... no one would even dream of thinking this."

I thought you were were refering to the fact that the NFL2k team used to be far more forthcoming with info regarding the development of the game than the Madden team ever was. I was pointing out how dramatiacally those roles have been reversed this year.
Yeah that's what I thought, but I wasn't talking about APF or nfl2k really at all in my point... the talk about EA being horrible in supporting fansites, being direct when questioned, etc. was an EA thing. The fact that VC was the opposite made this fact fuel to the fire of "my game's better than your game" but they weren't really connected. In fact, I think VC's remained pretty consistent in how they handle things. The advertising has been suspect since sega sports, the information has come in spurts and met with lots of criticism. The only difference is the timeframe and I think the non-license, late E3, new console has a lot to do with that.

Honestly I don't think EA has been any different either. They take different angles but it's the same approach. They overhype their product to death and they're very good at it. Some maddens have been decent, some unplayable imo, but they've always sounded promising in May/June. Remember the video that came out for the first Madden on the 360?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mman19
Madden is football, as baseball is America's game.
So true... and the total of non-Americans in the MLB is probably greater than the number of Americans. The image has a life of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmastermind
2K is not going to outsell Madden as it's been stated thousands of times before on here and everywhere else for that matter. If the game's not done, it's not done. The last thing I want is for 2K to 'Hurry Up' and try to release it before Madden or NCAA for that matter. I'll wait till the end of the year -- just as long as they get it done right.
my thoughts exactly
Old 05-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #63
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmastermind
So if it doesn't sell as well as Madden, does that mean they don't try to sell as much as they can. Don't be mistaken....this is a business. They wouldn't make the game if they didn't want it to sell well.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #64
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
In trouble in terms of nobody will know anything about this game and they are just supposed to go buy it. We will buy it but they need more than us. I don't see how they will release alongside of NCAA at this point. We are in the last full week of May. Well unless they start up the band this week and start it up heavy and hard. Tune up the band and hit some Sweet Chin MUZAK!!! LOL
This is why this game will not release alongside of NCAA.

Quote:
5.) NCAA Football 2008 (July, 17 2007. For: PS3, Xbox 360, PS2, Xbox) Rated E
NCAA Football 08 The appetizer for Madden, otherwise known as NCAA Football, options its way on to store shelves June 27. Last year’s NCAA got decent reviews but still didn’t meet the expectations of next gen gamers. It seems as though EA might have put their jockstraps back on and are finally preparing themselves “for some football”.

For starters, EA has given the game a new game play engine and new animation system that will allow for gang tackling and more importantly better control. Last year’s football title ran at only 30fps, but this year NCAA will run a blistering 60 fps. We believe this is in large part due to the developer’s decision to dumb down the textures in the game. While you may not be able to see every hole in a player’s mesh jersey as he dives into the end zone, the upside is that from we have seen, the major slowdown issues have been eliminated.

Another feature making its next gen debut will be “Campus Legend Mode”. You can go in and create your high school and start off as a high school player in the state championship playoffs. Depending on how well you do you’ll have colleges try to recruit you. Where you sign is up to you. Unfortunately, just like your real high school days, dating the head cheerleader will not be an option.
Source http://www.ripten.com/?p=15

No way 2k can make that June date without anything being out on the game right now. If they do, I don't know how that's going to look

Last edited by LBzrule; 05-22-2007 at 10:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »