Home

Gold, Silver, or Bronze? (game)

This is a discussion on Gold, Silver, or Bronze? (game) within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: Gold, Silver, or Bronze? (game)

thomas cant be silver IMO-- i remember this argument on ESPN earlier this spring

for me it's 1st & foremost the 4 consec seasons leading the entire NFL in yds from scrimmage. no one else close.

the # of receptions in a K-gun not designed to feature him as a pass catcher is staggering as well. i mean the whole basis of that no huddle offense was two downs per series of HB off tackle. this wasnt a west coast like craig had under walsh. also, thomas didnt have the benefit of missing a full season of action in the prime of his career to preserve tread on the tires a la Marcus Allen. granted Allen was more of a goalline back (& more prolific scorer), but he missed 35 games in his career, including playing 2 half seasons as his raider days were fizzling.

im only 24 yo... older fans have to remember thomas' fabulous consistency better than i do.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Gary Clark
Jim Marshall
Jack Tatum
Tatum = Gold
Jim Marshall = hmmmm Silver but the dude was an iron man 302 consecutive games. But he's very small for a DE.
Gary Clark = Silver

Leonard Marshall
Carl Banks
**** Night Trian Lane
Old 06-06-2007, 04:02 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
i liked both players, but being neck and neck for a while with rice doesn't cut it.
reed is STILL 5th all time in receptions & 8th in yds despite having the prime of his career come before "the YEAR of the receiver" when even terence mathis caught 100 passes.

now you could argue that reed is somewhat a product of "the system," but tim brown, cris carter, harrison bruce, even the jaguar tandem have benefited from a pass happy NFL since reed's peak days. and you can't tell me the system didnt help out Bruce & Harrison (even carter in the cunningham chuck & pray days of minnie)
Old 06-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Tatum = Gold
Jim Marshall = hmmmm Silver but the dude was an iron man 302 consecutive games. But he's very small for a DE.
i think just like thomas has the SB hangover his head, marshall will always face the stigma of "....IS RUNNING THE WRONG WAY"
Old 06-06-2007, 04:05 PM   #29
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

I guess the tough thing here is are they using a specific players' season, a career avg or some other criteria. The 2003 Jerry Rice (Rec- 63 Yards-869 Avg-13.8 TD-2) is a whole lot different than the 1995 (122 1848 15.1 15) Jerry Rice.

I'm curious how they handle injurys as well, do you get Namath as a young spry guy or a hobbled vet?

Plus a guy like Fred Biletnikoff, Hall of Fame WR. He is generally regarded as the prototypical possession receiver. Funny thing - most catches he had in a season - 61 (twice). 10 times 48 or less. I'm not taking anything away from Freddy, just wondering how they rate these guys.

Last edited by mdgoalie37; 06-06-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #30
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
The issue though is not whether you would put him over. The issue is would you put him in the same class or should I say tier? I'd say Thomas is a high silver that will be better than some gold players at things.

As for Reed when I look at the rest of the WR's in the game he has to be a gold.
I disagree. Gold to me means you are the best of the best. You are among the best ever at your position. Thomas is not......great player, but he would NEVER come up in the same conversation of a Jim Brown, Walter Payton, or a Earl Campbell as all-time greats.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
i think just like thomas has the SB hangover his head, marshall will always face the stigma of "....IS RUNNING THE WRONG WAY"
Actually I didn't hang that over his head. I'm not going to hang 1 incident of running the wrong way with a fumble recovery over his 28 other ones which he ran the right way. When I think Gold I think Reggie White. I'm not sure I'd put Jim with him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2007, 04:25 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I disagree. Gold to me means you are the best of the best. You are among the best ever at your position. Thomas is not......great player, but he would NEVER come up in the same conversation of a Jim Brown, Walter Payton, or a Earl Campbell as all-time greats.
Ohhh I agree with you on the outcome but the word you used there was you would not put him "over" any of those guys. To be a gold player he wouldn't need to be put "over" them he'd just need to be on par and I'd agree that he's not on par (don't slaughter me Bills fans ). Although I do think that he does some things better than alot of gold players. For instance of all the backs in the game, I don't see anyone catching the ball better out of the backfield than Thomas.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »