Home

Preview build at 80%???? Impossible!!!

This is a discussion on Preview build at 80%???? Impossible!!! within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #33
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Preview build at 80%???? Impossible!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I am in the course of learning ActionScript for flash and believe me. You can run a program. Find a bug. Tinker with it and code what you think is the fix, only to run it again and find you made things worse or fixed the old problem and made a new one.

In the process of coding you sometimes dont see everything through clearly or things pop up that you had not thought of that effect the end result of what you are trying to get the program to do.

So If when Chau went out to show the game to folk, the 80% build was the most stable, I can see him carrying it around for a while.
Yeah..it's funny how people say they are in the game industry and have it figured out, but let's face it : Game testing pays maybe 10 bucks an hour and there are TONS of them (EA has hundreds in a room). It's just not on the tier of the exectuive decision level, and this thread pretty much proves that.

The most STABLE build was demoed. Think outside your box..be a rep...go in the field with an unstable product and get back to me about that experience.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I am in the course of learning ActionScript for flash and believe me. You can run a program. Find a bug. Tinker with it and code what you think is the fix, only to run it again and find you made things worse or fixed the old problem and made a new one.

In the process of coding you sometimes dont see everything through clearly or things pop up that you had not thought of that effect the end result of what you are trying to get the program to do.

So If when Chau went out to show the game to folk, the 80% build was the most stable, I can see him carrying it around for a while.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

FINALLY....a voice of reason! Very nice to see someone actually speak from experience and reason rather than ill-informed opinion and petulence.

I respect OS for many of its well-thought out posts and frequent contributors; in fact, as a percentage of total postings, I think OS is near the top of the list of having the most readable and worthwhile posts compared to waste-of-time tripe of anything on the internet...BUT...

It is getting to be a broken record already with the whole "why don't the developers care?" angle. Whether it is people savaging 2K or attacking EA, its all the same....."waaaahh.....they didn't do "x", why don't they care???" or "they are just greedy". It sounds like a bunch of 8-year olds who think the only way to communicate to their parents is to yell "Well, you just don't love me...." and stomp off to slam their door...

Seriously, I respect the stuff Tomb posted because it speaks the truth and has perspective - two things frequently lacking from all the knee-jerk, fan-boyish "I won't buy it then..." posts I have seen in the last 3 weeks. Programming is an art as much as a science. To do something really WELL requires patience (often in short supply from the corporate types - who really DON'T care about the game as long as someone buys it) and time (which is usually in even shorter supply than patience due to compressed deadlines and release dates set in stone for sports titles) and money - lots and lots of money (a lot more than just about any of us posting in these forums could imagine, yet alone afford).

To do something GREAT usually requires all of the above in exponentially greater quantities. We are not talking about things like if 2 developers is good than 4 would be twice as good, instead to make that next leap forward would require 8 or 16 people instead of 2 or 4. Like it or not, games are made for aa reason - PROFIT. No one is out there making these things on an unlimited budget of time, patience and money!

This is reality - creativity and art require different things than commerce and industry, yet time and again I come here (and in fairness it is better here than some other places) and continually see people posting the same tripe that they have for years. The same recrimminations of their least favorite developer or publisher. The same allegations of malfescence and indifference to their plight. The same mindless chattle and lemming-like devotion to one game or another. Its just sad and ultimately counterproductive.

Personally, I dislike Burger King fries compared to McDonald's fries. However, I never think that bashing the fry-guy at Burger King or telling every person I ever encounter how terrible the fries are at BK or telling them that BK just doesn't care is going to help. I just buy the McDonald's fries. I guess if I were actually unhappy with both kinds of fries I would start trying to make my own. Of course, peeling potatoes, slicing them and frying them in different oils is a lot easier than hammering out a few million lines of code...

I do not fault the moderators of OS, because from what I have seen they do a great job around here, I fault all of us who frequent this place and tolerate the idiocy. I challenege the members of OS who actually DO care about getting real information, and carrying on substantive discussions to rise up against the low-brow crowd who like to wallow in the mire. Bring your "A-game" to the forums and make these peons ashamed to fire off their empty-headed missives...I know there are a lot of people on OS who would appreciate the efforts.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #35
MVP

noplace's Arena

OVR: 13

I have to believe the version of the game is 80%. Why would you release a vid if some of the players are running around without torso's lol. That would be suicide right now. Fans would go nutts, EA would be laughing there azzes off.. This is obviously damage control going on here. After the trailer most of us paniced & we havent seen screens since (Other than the Marino) Maybe they are correcting these things I hope before releasing some trash that might fuel the fire even more. I say get eveything right then release at vid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #36
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

I love the way sports gamers get all jazzed up pre-release. It's amazing. It happens with every major sports game every year. Then, it comes out and it's mostly nothing like all the interpretations. If your wedding was only a month away.....some of you wouldn't be sweating it like this....lol.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:29 PM   #37
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moostache
I do not fault the moderators of OS, because from what I have seen they do a great job around here, I fault all of us who frequent this place and tolerate the idiocy. I challenege the members of OS who actually DO care about getting real information, and carrying on substantive discussions to rise up against the low-brow crowd who like to wallow in the mire. Bring your "A-game" to the forums and make these peons ashamed to fire off their empty-headed missives...I know there are a lot of people on OS who would appreciate the efforts.
some of us try... on both sides of the debates. but based on whichever side we're coming from, the majority on the opposing side then labels us accordingly and throws us in with the herd you're talking about.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #38
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

I think a lot of posters are so concerned with the way they're perceived by others on this board (Madden Fanboy, 2K Fanboy, etc), that they forget why they came here in the first place. The reason this community exists, in my opinion, is to provide gamers with a place to get solid information on the games/things they're passionate about/interested in, and to give them a venue in which to share their opinions WITHOUT attacking others for theirs. If we could all keep that in mind, I think we'd be better off.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Old 06-16-2007, 07:00 PM   #39
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I don't think people care how they're percieved so much, but moblike behavior can make perception reality. I don't blindly defend 2k. Aaron isn't an EA fanboy. Spank does not ignore all flaws we know about the game. Coogr doesn't think it's a bare boned rehash of 2k5. But all of these perceptions have been out there after extremists on either side started a charge against something we've said. Eventually, a normal poster will hop in the middle of a thread and see an ongoing debate and without knowing anything else, would likely side with the majority.

change the year, change the game, change the sport... any forum, rinse and repeat. just how it goes.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #40
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I don't think people care how they're percieved so much, but moblike behavior can make perception reality. I don't blindly defend 2k. Aaron isn't an EA fanboy. Spank does not ignore all flaws we know about the game. Coogr doesn't think it's a bare boned rehash of 2k5. But all of these perceptions have been out there after extremists on either side started a charge against something we've said. Eventually, a normal poster will hop in the middle of a thread and see an ongoing debate and without knowing anything else, would likely side with the majority.

change the year, change the game, change the sport... any forum, rinse and repeat. just how it goes.
Well said.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »