Home

Feeling the Pressure...a Next Generation Pocket Presence Idea

This is a discussion on Feeling the Pressure...a Next Generation Pocket Presence Idea within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
Feeling the Pressure...a Next Generation Pocket Presence Idea

I got some good feedback on this idea when I posted it in a thread and thought I'd try and get it out there for possible APF 2K9 exposure and also to get some feedback.

The basic idea is that as a QB, your controller will vibrate as a way to emulate how a QB can feel the presence of the defense as he stands in the pocket. Some QB's have a much better sense of this than others and ratings would be used to differentiate this ability between QB's.

I find that in football video games, your eyes are down field on your receiver and your pretty much blind when it comes to your QB and you either have to constantly look back and forth between the two or just hope that your receiver gets free before you get sacked. Too many times, I decide to throw the ball only to find my QB in a "sack" animation.

In reality, as a QB in the pocket, your looking over your line to the WR's and can kind of see all of this at once...of course there is a blind spot outside of the players peripheal vision and I'll address that as well.

A player with a high rating, is a QB that can feel pressure when it's close. These guys are the ones that can take that subtle step forward to avoid the hands of a linemen or know when to tuck the ball right before a hit. A low rating QB is a guy that just seems to never know where the defense is and is somehow suprised he gets sacked after standing in the pocket for 5 or 6 seconds and fumbles the ball away.

The whole idea is pretty simple. Each QB has a rating that is then programmed to a range around the QB. When a defender enters that area, the users controller will begin to vibrate softly. As the defender nears the QB, the controller would then vibrate more violently, letting you know that you need to get rid of the ball or get out of the pocket.

Players would basically have an invisable semi or half circle which represents the area that they are aware of.. Basically it would be slightly larger than a half circle and would extend just beyone each shoulder and go out in front of the QB. A guy like Brady who seems to avoid big sacks may have a radius (1/2 of the diamter) of say 5 or 6 yards and a guy like David car may only have 1 or 2 yards. **I'm not sure how these sizes would work in the context of a football game, but they would be adjusted to a realistic size. The area of the circle is their area of warning, the rest is your players "blind spot". As you move, this circle moves with you. So if you look right and then look left, the circle would shift allowing you a "quick glance" of your surroundings. In other words, it won't always face the same direction on the screen. If you stand in the pocket, facing forward, the half circle would face the line of scrimmage. If you took off to the right, the circle would shift toward the right sideline and you would lose feeling of anyone behind you. If you turn left, your right side becomes wide open to the defense.

This would allow the player to look down field and still have an awareness of whether his QB was in trouble or not without actually having to shift his eyes, which you obviously still have the option of doing. It's just that in reality any QB can see a player coming right in front of him, but in the game your eyes are down field and you end up missing the obvious.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. This may not be a problem for every player, but I know it is for me and think that it may be for others as well.

Last edited by Trevytrev11; 06-21-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Feeling the Pressure...a Next Generation Pocket Presence Idea

This would be a really good idea.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

hey heres my opinion:

I think you really got something ...its a great idea and I would love it

however this isnt the audience to run it by...

rather you should contact a video game maker (2k, ea) and start testing out games and giving suggestions....and this could be your first

we can only agree that its a good idea but none of us can incorporate it into the game obviously

but hey if you can make a lil money off of it try !
Old 06-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I think the focus of the 2k games has always been to simulate the realistic amount of time an NFL QB would have to do things. You have to have a clock in your head... know when to step up, if you see the blitz before hand, know which way to roll out, etc. It's said QBs can "feel" the pressure but in reality it's b/c of their experience in reading different situations.

I think it's a good and well thought out idea, but I'd rather they continue working on improving the pocket and oline/dline interaction to make it more realistic. I could see people waiting until they feel the vibration and then just throwing in the flat b/c they felt it.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #5
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by asween40
hey heres my opinion:

I think you really got something ...its a great idea and I would love it

however this isnt the audience to run it by...

rather you should contact a video game maker (2k, ea) and start testing out games and giving suggestions....and this could be your first

we can only agree that its a good idea but none of us can incorporate it into the game obviously

but hey if you can make a lil money off of it try !
I may try and pitch it (I guess through email), but wanted to run it by actual game players to see if it was something that people though was actually a good idea and could benefit the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
I may try and pitch it (I guess through email), but wanted to run it by actual game players to see if it was something that people though was actually a good idea and could benefit the game.
I brought up an idea similar to this about 2 years ago. Basically the awareness of a QB would tie into him sensing the pressure. Also when you felt the pressure you would just have to tap the right thumbstick and depending on how crafty the QB was he could "slide" out of the way of the rush. There has to be a way to implement this and not only just to implement but to get it right on the first try.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #7
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

This has been discussed numerous times in the past. It's a good idea but I don't see any game using it since people have been asking for years and it hasn't been put in.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 06-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I think the focus of the 2k games has always been to simulate the realistic amount of time an NFL QB would have to do things. You have to have a clock in your head... know when to step up, if you see the blitz before hand, know which way to roll out, etc. It's said QBs can "feel" the pressure but in reality it's b/c of their experience in reading different situations.

I think it's a good and well thought out idea, but I'd rather they continue working on improving the pocket and oline/dline interaction to make it more realistic. I could see people waiting until they feel the vibration and then just throwing in the flat b/c they felt it.
I don't disagree with you and thanks for the honesty.

I agree that timing is imperative (hence the 3,5 and 7 step drops), but I think this could work in conjunction with that. If you take your 3 step drop and can hit your guy, then the play is simple. But often, plays break down, receivers can't get open and you see a QB either sit in the pocket or step outside. In these situations, your pocket breaksdown and you are at the mercy of the blocks of your lineman. This would help you recognize what your QB can see by feel, while you look down field.

Kind of like I said above, in real life a QB can see a LB directly in front of him, running right at him while he looks downfield, but in a video game, with a 3rd person view, you don't get that view and your eyes are downfield while your QB is exposed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »