Home

Pasta calls out 2K's Marketing. (and rightly so)

This is a discussion on Pasta calls out 2K's Marketing. (and rightly so) within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Pasta calls out 2K's Marketing. (and rightly so)

You know its not a good sign when the marketing of a game becomes the most discussed topic about it. Whether it be on the 2K Sports or Operation Sports forums (really the only two places the game is being discussed at all), reading up on All-Pro Football 2K8 you'll find many comments and threads talking about the marketing (or lack thereof). When message boards are overrun with marketing discussion something has gone terribly wrong.

If that isn't bad enough, right in the middle of all this, the VP of Marketing Eric Whiteford has left his position. Not the type of press you want out in the midst of the most important time for this (potential) franchise.
The article I wrote up last week got a huge response on Operation Sports. Some people agreed with my points, while others deflected the issues at hand or denied they exist. Since then it seems that more and more are coming around to understanding the full effect the debacle that has been the marketing surrounding this title has had. The question isn't whether the game will be good or not. It's that if the game plays great, will it actually matter if no one buys it?

There have been so many questionable decisions behind this game. Going with no franchise mode, including OJ Simpson, naming a team the Indians, offering reduced presentation, creating ridiculous over-the-top stadiums and environments that conflict with the legends idea, and going only for PS3/360 thus ignoring the PS2 consumers are just some examples. The only good move seems to have been signing legends, and even that can be debated as it forced them into selling the game at $60.

There certainly is reason for concern from fans hoping this game would deliver and establish itself for the future. With no support behind it, things are looking bleak. That is not good news for those who enjoy football games as the competition has been shown to be a positive thing and the varied selection is always a good thing to have. Yet when the company developing the title doesn't support it, clearly there is a big problem at hand.

There still is no "official" release date. There still haven't been any videos out other than a trailer that brought about lukewarm reaction. We have screenshots from sites disappearing. There is practically no communication coming from 2K and what little there is has been somewhat conflicting. You get the feeling that they're hiding the game for a reason.

The atmosphere around the game can still change. If there are videos that
come out ASAP that look promising and if the demo releases to praise that could turn things around. The game always had the dilemma of how to sell it to those outside of the hardcore 2K fans, now however it seems they'll need to win back the favor of many of those as well.

They've certainly backed themselves into a position where they have to make up a lot of ground and the opportunity to do so is running short. It's time for them to change the story from their inept marketing to demonstrating the merits of the game.

Last edited by Shamrock; 06-22-2007 at 01:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2007, 01:36 AM   #2
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Pasta calls out 2K's Marketing. (and rightly so)

Why is he writing so much about 2k games all of a sudden? It's funny how he includes OJ Simpson and some stadiums as questionable decisions(especially when ignoring the fact that you can pick regular type of stadiums). I do agree that the marketing is terrible, although everyone knows that and has discussed it over and over again already. These people with their disaster scenarios sound exactly like the people who thought that The Show wasn't coming out because they only had a few screenshots. Of course people would like to see more but calm down with this "clearly there is a big problem at hand" stuff.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

Last edited by jmood88; 06-22-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:40 AM   #3
MVP

Shakedowncapo's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
There have been so many questionable decisions behind this game. Going with no franchise mode, including OJ Simpson, naming a team the Indians, offering reduced presentation, creating ridiculous over-the-top stadiums and environments that conflict with the legends idea, and going only for PS3/360 thus ignoring the PS2 consumers are just some examples. The only good move seems to have been signing legends, and even that can be debated as it forced them into selling the game at $60.
Hahahaha...This guy is a running joke. Thats all I'm gonna say in this thread. Have fun guys.

Last edited by Shakedowncapo; 06-22-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: I'll be nice to this EA jockey for now.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:44 AM   #4
We ain't cool de la?

eDotd's Arena

OVR: 53

Lol.. It's always something with this game... I wish people would just let it come out and stop with all these theories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Con-Con
Honestly, some of the posters on here are acting like Rob Jones boned your girl while you were at work, on you own sheets BTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Mo is the Operator from the Matrix.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:48 AM   #5
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

I think the guy is desperate for readers or something. It doesn't look as if people comment on his other stuff so he writes about 2k, even though he makes it a point to say that this site and 2k sports are the only places who care about the game. And even though this isn't about EA, it's funny how he cites presentation as a questionable decision but he defends it in Madden's case:
Quote:
The other thing to think over is how important presentation really is. While there is a group of people who find it critical, the majority likely does not. Cut scenes may be entertaining the first few times, however most people end up eventually skipping them. A lot of people love TV style presentation, however others feel that the purpose of the game is that they are playing it and not watching it. Overall presentation really is a secondary level to a game, it can enhance it but it can’t make or break it.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2007, 02:16 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

Well he is clearly a Madden Fanboy. I'm pretty sure he also worked for EA at one time. I don't agree with the BS he wrote about offending Indians or whatever.

This case is different though. I think 2K has done a horrible job marketing this game. I also think he is right about the fact that it's not "normal" for the biggest discussion about a new game to be it's marketing or lack there of.

I only hope write up's like this, and the remarks on the 2K forums and on OS from fans give 2K a real wake up call in their marketing department.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

come on guys. It's painfully apparent that he and many others from that site have a clear bias against 2k football. The have a subforum for the game and it's filled with people completely saying any and all bad things about the game without and moderator stopping the flames (heck, some of them even add in to the flames). However, do the same in the Madden subforum and find your thread/post deleted very quickly and squashed.

of course he will jump at any possible chance to try and put down the game. Just look at how he handled the summary of OS's initial media day impressions. He clearly says there "is no presentation" at all in the game which is rediculously misleading. He then continues to stress it several times in the thread, ignores any attempts for anyone to correct it, and doesn't even correct himself at any point at all.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 17

Makes you wonder if Pasta Padre is really just an EA "non-employee". How about we not post his his blog posts. If he wants to make that post over here that's great.

If you look at his site, I'm convinced he's doing EA's covert work. They are out there and EA uses them. The guy is all EA Sports all the time. Let's move on.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »