Home

What I don't get about the timing of this release.

This is a discussion on What I don't get about the timing of this release. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-23-2007, 08:34 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
Re: What I don't get about the timing of this release.

Could of waited and released this game next June and got a jump on NCAA and Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #26
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshiznetno1
Then why not go that route again? I think competing against NCAA instead of Madden is a good idea, but why not go a step farther and make the game $30-$40?
Because this is a different game. The NFL2k series gained a lot of speed by being the only football game on the DC. When it hopped on the xbox/ps2 and began going head to head with madden, they did everything outside of giving it away to get people to notice... then they decided to do that too (gave it away for $30 less than the comp). They were trying to make strides to take over the title.

This game isn't going after Madden at all. It's meant to be bought along side madden for the masses. It's competing a bit with NCAA b/c how many people will buy 3 football games, but it's really got it's own appeal.

People forget, if there was a 2k6 that $20 pricetag would've been gone just like every other 2k game. It would've made no sense to release this game at that price... especially on new consoles. That was the last year of xbox/ps2 being "next gen" while a lot of people are still new to the 360/ps3.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
Because this is a different game. The NFL2k series gained a lot of speed by being the only football game on the DC.
There was Quarterback Club... Man, that was one of the worst choices I ever made with $50.

The graphics were tight though.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #28
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

maybe im in the minority, but i dont see how releasing the game up against ncaa is even remotely a bad idea. I think everyone needs to think outside the box. From my perspective, a lot of people buy NCAA not because they simply want a football game, but because they want to play a COLLEGE football game. How does that take away sales from 2k at all? If anything, i think the co-release of NCAA actually helps 2k in some ways.

Person A- doesn't like college football at all. Walks into eb, sees ads everywhere for NCAA and thinks "cool, football season is coming soon. To bad its not Madden coming out" and then sees 2k8 with a few NFL legends on the cover. He/she thinks "well, look at this....hmm...this should be cool to play until the NFL starts of whatever" and buys the game

Person B- "cool NCAA comes out today! I get to play as the fighting irish!" and buys NCAA

Person C- hates EA and everything. Buys 2k because he/she wants/trusts

Person D- buys EA because he/she loves or trusts anything EA.

Person E- on the fence about both games, is well educated on both games and makes his/her decision based on whether wanting to play legends or a college game...

Person F- knows he is going to buy Madden and thinks in most likelihood, another EA produced football game is going to be similar in gameplay style so goes with 2k instead for a change of pace...

I don't know, but it seems to me that a college football game is going to sell beause the person loves college sports. I just dont see NCAA as a game that 2k really should be trying to avoid going head to head against. They are both niches and i see 2k as trying to kind of use NCAA to get people getting themselves to the stores for a football game and deciding they'd rather be John Elway instead of QB #1
Old 06-23-2007, 03:01 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 30

I think you're underestimating the general public and WAY underestimating NCAA. This isn't the early 90s, nor is it a kids game.

I would believe by now that most people dropping $60 on a game have a somewhat good idea of what they want. I can't imagine there's a lot of people who go into a game store with no idea of what they want.

You're also selling NCAA way short. It's not on the level of Mario/Madden/Halo/GTA, but it's solidly in the next level or two and sells roughly a 2-3 million per year.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:47 PM   #30
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soldier
I think you're underestimating the general public and WAY underestimating NCAA. This isn't the early 90s, nor is it a kids game.

I would believe by now that most people dropping $60 on a game have a somewhat good idea of what they want. I can't imagine there's a lot of people who go into a game store with no idea of what they want.

You're also selling NCAA way short. It's not on the level of Mario/Madden/Halo/GTA, but it's solidly in the next level or two and sells roughly a 2-3 million per year.
I would agree with this. I think the more likely APF scenario is this:
Guy walks into gamestop to buy NCAA Football and see APF with Elway, Sanders and Rice on the cover and asks whats that. Clerk tells him it has NFL legends on it and the customers buys both games. He gets his NCAA fix and some early NFL fix.

While i agree that NFL playoff time would be a good time to sell APF. I do think thats really the case only if the game is average to bad (Madden that is). If its a killer Madden game, which i do think has some legends on it. I would agree with what 2K is doing and taking the less risk now, against NCAA.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #31
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

I don't think you spend all the money and resources it would take to build the game for two years when you aren't completely confident in how good it will sell. Maybe with features like franchise mode they sell more copies, but will the difference in sales numbers cover another year of development costs. That is unlikely in my opinion.

2k doesn't know exactly how well this game will sell but they can't expect huge sales. They are taking their Legends concept to the market but it would seem more foolish to invest two years into the game when it could flop with or without a franchise mode. The release date makes sense because it is before Madden comes out and it is at a time when people start getting ready for football - fantasy drafts, training camps, more coverage on ESPN, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettouch
I just recently received my MBA and with my studies i kinda think I understand why they releasing the game now(or i assuming this is what 2k is thinking)

2k invested money and time in this project for years even though they were not hard developing they were still using time & money to think of ideas. 2k was probably very iffy on the company football future after this year and decided that instead of waisting the time and money we did with this game lets get something out and if it turns out that we the company are able to keep developing past this year we have a product to build off.

The car industry does this all the time we had many case studies on GM and Ford developing a vehicle for 5 years and instead of scrapping the project they decide to put it out and if the car becomes popular good if not they hope to break even. Buick recently did this with the Rendezvous and Ford with the 500.

That being said I think they are trying to keep their name relevant so releasing this game this year may help for the Buzz of Next year. Instead of risking that there may not be a chance next year to develop this or a chance of losing even more buzz in the gaming community or to show the NFL a large body of work when it comes for a chance for them to attempt to bid for the license.(APF08,09,10)

I don't know for sure I'm no genius i'M speculating like everyone else.
Congratulations for your MBA. Also congratulations for looking at this from from a business perspective first and not the game. I know there's more to their situation that we don't see. There's probably haters and doubters in their camp that have been a stumbling block to APF 2K8. Just because we work for the same company doesn't mean we're going to agree on everything.

So for us on the outside.... with that in mind, we should do what the cows do when it rains................... LET IT RAIN!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »