Home

My main concern with 2K8

This is a discussion on My main concern with 2K8 within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 9
My main concern with 2K8

I've been following this game since I heard about it, with mixed feelings. The lack of franchise mode annoyed me and I wasn't entirely excited about legends, though not immediately turned off. I would have prefered an entirely fictional league, but whatever.

When I heard the implementation of the legends in a pick-your-team style I was excited. I thought the possibilities for team combos could really occupy me instead of needing a franchise mode. Between online and then running 3 or 4 different teams in single season mode I fiugred the game would be able to hold my interest.

Then I saw gameplay videos and wasn't entirely pleased. Not to say I don't think it looks good, but part of the reason I could live without a franchise or dynasty mode was I thought the gameplay would be vastly superior. This isn't to say the gameplay won't be good, but the lack of actual game video (IE, from IGN or whatnot, just showing a half of a game) make sme nervous. I didn't see a ton of new animations (despite what the developers say). Again, not a turnoff because Im sure the gameplay will be good, but based on what we've seen (or, havn't seen) make me nervous.

Now, my real concern is the actual team makeup. After looking at the list of "traits" and the thread that showed some of the players special attributes, I realize that these legends are all pretty similar.

It appears, at this point (untill I have more info) that there is a baseline for all attributes. The "generics" are all on this line (average in every way), while the legends get a benefit in up to 5 of these categories.

*yawn*.

Especially when I realized looking at that list, that so many players had the same categories. That doesn't sceam variety in making up my team, it just means I'll have a famous name playing like a lot of other famous names.

I can see this getting very repetitive. Just look at the DE and RB lists, the players are so similar. Even worse, I fear that some players combos will be overcharged (in typicaly video game fashion) so certain combos are going to be on every team.

Im just not seeing the variety I once thought when I read about this game for the first time. Meh, I'll still give it a shot as a rental, but having half a team of the exact same players sounds incredibly boring to me. I thought there would be more vairety in the players than they have showed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: My main concern with 2K8

And yet all we do is make up opinions on 30 seconds of random in-game footage and rumors on a message board.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #3
MVP

Damn another one of these threads? Operation Sports forums starting to turn in to blogs and online diaries.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
And yet all we do is make up opinions on 30 seconds of random in-game footage and rumors on a message board.
some of us have more than 30 seconds and rumors. Some have played the game. Some have read impressions. This is a discussion board not a praise board. If you dont like someone having doubts or concerns about the game....visit another board.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
some of us have more than 30 seconds and rumors. Some have played the game. Some have read impressions. This is a discussion board not a praise board. If you dont like someone having doubts or concerns about the game....visit another board.
Exactly, this is a discussion board. So I'm free to reply and post my thoughts too. So, I don't have to visit another board.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

I'm still buying it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 07-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
Exactly, this is a discussion board. So I'm free to reply and post my thoughts too. So, I don't have to visit another board.
Not if every one of your replies is an attempt to stop people from posting negative statements about the game. That is like your 3rd one this hour and thats considered trolling on OS. Trolls dont last long on this site.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #8
MVP

Rainey's Arena

OVR: 16

Power time...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »