Home

Kind of hard to believe

This is a discussion on Kind of hard to believe within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #49
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: Kind of hard to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
And yeah, APF2K8 could be better than either NCAA or Madden one, but I know what i'm getting with NCAA/Madden and with All Pro I don't. So people like me will make it a given to buy EA Sports games and then perhaps be done with spending money on football games.
Then that's what you should do. Again, I think you're saying the game should be priced less because people are predisposed to purchasing Madden and NCAA. Even if APF had franchise, minigames, etc. we'd still be getting people saying "but... it doesn't have the NFL. it should be lower priced". Again, APF isn't in competition with these games though people will make the one off comparison. Two are licensed games and one isn't. Having the same/similar expectations of all three makes no sense to me. As you said, EA has "more market clout and firmly entrenched and established products with massive name recognition". Yet less is expected of them. Not meaning to make this a EA/VC argument but mark my words when the reviews come rolling in: double team blocking and gang tackling will be fixtures in the reviews, despite the fact that neither are new concepts and haven't been for years.

I'm just speaking to the hypocrisy I think exists. Madden doesn't need online leagues because they don't think they can make money off them, while just about every other sports developer has them (well, 989 and VC)? We'd all like games to be priced less, I'm sure. But I didn't see people complaining back in the winter of '05 when it looked very likely that we weren't getting a quality product; I don't see why people should be complaining now in '07

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #50
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Then that's what you should do. Again, I think you're saying the game should be priced less because people are predisposed to purchasing Madden and NCAA. Even if APF had franchise, minigames, etc. we'd still be getting people saying "but... it doesn't have the NFL. it should be lower priced". Again, APF isn't in competition with these games though people will make the one off comparison. Two are licensed games and one isn't. Having the same/similar expectations of all three makes no sense to me. As you said, EA has "more market clout and firmly entrenched and established products with massive name recognition". Yet less is expected of them. Not meaning to make this a EA/VC argument but mark my words when the reviews come rolling in: double team blocking and gang tackling will be fixtures in the reviews, despite the fact that neither are new concepts and haven't been for years.

I'm just speaking to the hypocrisy I think exists. Madden doesn't need online leagues because they don't think they can make money off them, while just about every other sports developer has them (well, 989 and VC)? We'd all like games to be priced less, I'm sure. But I didn't see people complaining back in the winter of '05 when it looked very likely that we weren't getting a quality product; I don't see why people should be complaining now in '07
You and I are talking about two different things though, the way things should be and the reality of what they truly are. Right or wrong about what I said, it's just how it is.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
but I know what i'm getting with NCAA/Madden and with All Pro I don't. So people like me will make it a given to buy EA Sports games and then perhaps be done with spending money on football games.
That was always the funny thing about 2kX and now APF. 2kX was always the wildcard or at the least was considered to have the "X" factor. I think that says a lot of 2k approach to football but also how the public views Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #52
MVP

noshun's Arena

OVR: 14

I wonder if all the people questioning about lack of features in this game, went out and bought NBA Live 06 for X360 without question when it was 1st introduced? Hmmm?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:42 AM   #53
Banned

OVR: 1
Re: Kind of hard to believe/ all the whiners

Wow, so many whiners sobbing about the customization or lack there of in 2k8. If you people took a few minutes to think you would realize that 2k can't allow total customization, they can't let us re-create the NFL. If they did they would end up either in court or paying a huge fine.

Personally I'm just happy they are finally putting a football game out and I have no doubts that this game will be very good. The on line play is what it is all about on the 360 and that is where this game will shine. One season is more then enough for me in single player mode that will give me more then enough time to get the hang of the game and then take my team on line and into the leagues for some real football. So stop bitching about the fact that you can't re-create the NFL, if you want the NFL you have two options:

1. You can do as I do and download the latest draft roster for NFL2k5 and play that or:
2. You can hope Madden 08 is good this year and buy that.

To those of you who are as psyched as I am about this game see you on line next week. Oh and if your a cheeseballer don't bother sending a challenge to NPYYZ, I play sim only.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:23 AM   #54
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Kind of hard to believe/ all the whiners

Fellas--Cut the baby arguments and just stick to the topic please.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog
baa7..going to have to disagree with you here...I think a new generic customizable football game is a tough sell to the casual gamer - 'you mean I have to learn how to create a football team?...ugh..I'll just buy Madden'. Now PES/WE is a little bit of a different case because even without the FIFA license, they can still use players and countries and even Country League Franchises (i.e.England, Spain, France..etc.). Now consider what you are asking for in terms of customization...Play create tool, Stadium tool on top of what looks like a pretty deep uniform tool...this would be a serious investment to an unproven IP...not to say they couldn't have taken the gamble...but the risk is extremely high ...and they would not have the time to implement to build off of the 2K5 momentum.
Dynamix did this with the Front Page Sports football series back in the mid 90's and the game was very popular. I played that game on a 486DX Packard Bell PC. The XBox 360 and PS3 have probably a 1000X the power that PC had. Hell that PC had 4 meg's of RAM and an 800mb hard drive.

You're gonna tell me with all the power of the consoles today, the huge budgets these games get, the time spent on the games, and the resources available to the development teams (motion capture, graphics and development tools are easier to use today) that VC can't do TODAY what a small development company did over 10 years ago with a smaller budget and team working on it? You're kidding yourself.

I'm happy that 2k is back in the football gaming arena. And I'll buy this game even if I hate it just to support VC and do my part to make sure there's a 2k9 and more. I'm sure I'll love this game and what is missing will just give me something to look forward to and hope they add to 2k9.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #56
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I also don't think the legends idea is of much interest to that many gamers. I would guess the vast majority of gamers, if polled, would have preferred a generic game with the ability to edit players.
HELL NO!! Generic players, customization?? Im lazy, and i love me some legends. So this game is perfect. Hope the gameplay is too.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »