Home

2K Sports Has Three Strikes with APF

This is a discussion on 2K Sports Has Three Strikes with APF within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #73
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34
Re: 2K Sports Has Three Strikes with APF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdros13
I agree that it could have been done (and I said a long, long time ago that I wanted the game to be generic only, without legends, because legends would screw up franchises). I actually really like how they implemented the legends now, so I'm good with that part of it, but I would have prefered to have the option to play a franchise with all generic players.

That being said, how many of the people on this forum (the majority of whom would probably classify themselves as avid sports gamers) actually play more than 1 or 2 seasons of franchise mode (play, not sim). My guess is that 25% would be a high number. Of all sports gamers, I'd be surprised if more than 5% actually finished more than one season within the same franchise / dynasty. If you actually play the offline games in a franchise / season, and play some exibitions first and spend a little time in practice mode, you will probably have 40-50 hours in the game by the time you finish the first year, not counting any games against your buddies, or online, or whatever....and that is just completing one season. I know most people don't put any more than that into it - there are just too many titles fighting for your attention. For the folks that get 2 football games, 2 basketball games, etc., and can actually play that much, kudos to you!

As I said, I would have liked to have the option to play a generic franchise, because 2k5 is the last game I really went through several years of the franchise on. That said, most of my time was spent playing in online leagues then, and it will be now...for those that aren't online yet, I get your pain, but there are fortunately other titles that cater more to an offline crowd, or I guess you can just play multiple seasons and switch up your legends each time.

Do I think it would have broken the backs of the devs to put in some type of franchise mode...without knowing any specifics, no I don't think it should have been a big deal. Do I think it is possible they are saving franchise to be a 'new for 2k9 feature'...yeah, it wouldn't surprise me.
Great post.

I completely see your point and I know franchsie is of no use to alot of people. My point is that alot of people love franchise mode. And these same people also may hate Madden. Maybe they want 2K's version of football, but with a franchise mode as well. I feel bad for those people. Maybe next year?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM   #74
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
No, this game is about having a choice. If we didn't complain about it, 2K wouldn't have even trotted out this damn game.
Oh really? That's a jump.
Quote:
Did you even read everything I said? I CLEARLY said that I can't wait to experience the gameplay of this game. Basically saying I want APF.

AND...I CLEARLY said I know that many people aren't interested in franchise, but alot, like me, are. And some may be interested in a generic player franchise. Some people do like stuff like that, you know! I mean...God forbid if that were the case, right??

Also, if you have ever played Winning Eleven, you would see that implementing legends over the length of a franchise could be done.
And I CLEARLY said that this could have a hot dog vendor manager, but that isn't what this game is about. And I CLEARLY stated that even if they had a generic franchise, people wouldn't be satisfied. And I CLEARLY understand that you want franchise mode. And I CLEARLY have not seen any CLEAR examples of how it could be presented in a format that would be fun and CLEARLY satisfy gamers who want a franchise mode.

edit: and yeah, I've played WE. It didn't have franchise mode in the one I played.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 07-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanheart
Strike 1: Releasing the game at the same time that EA releases NCAA Football 08. I realize that their main concern is Madden, but that was before EA got exclusive NFL rights and there was legitimate competition between the two. Now, I just want to play some football! It's a no-brainer between college football and a fictitious league. Give me NCAA any day of the week. If they would have released APF before NCAA, I would already own a copy.

Strike 2: No demo yet, and there is unlikely to be one before the release. Is 2K Sports even serious about this title? It seems like they are totally banking on the reputation that 2K5 had with the NFL license. They don't appear to be making any sincere effort to truly reach out to the consumer, and that irritates me a little. Why no demo?

Strike 3: No Franchise/Dynasty mode. I'm not really interested in playing a season and then either calling it quits or repeating another season. Personally, I enjoy drafts, free agency, etc. With only a single season mode, this game seems to cater to pure online play. Am I going to pay $60 for an online game? Is that a joke? What if someone doesn't have XBL?

Three strikes, you're out! At first I thought I'd buy this game, but now there's just simply no way. I'm very disappointed with how 2k Sports has handled this so called "resurrection of football." As much as I enjoyed watching Joe Montana and Walter Payton growing up, I think I'll live without this game.
sucks to be you.....

go have your NCAA and inferrior gameplay. you obviously cared enough about this game to come on it's forum and post and follow the release, demo, etc....but now will deprive yourself of it because 2K didn't handle the release the way you would have liked.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #76
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
Great post.

I completely see your point and I know franchsie is of no use to alot of people. My point is that alot of people love franchise mode. And these same people also may hate Madden. Maybe they want 2K's version of football, but with a franchise mode as well. I feel bad for those people. Maybe next year?
If the series lives, they will have to trot something out as a new feature, right?

Either that, or add another 250 legends to the game.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #77
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugginns
Oh really? That's a jump.

And I CLEARLY said that this could have a hot dog vendor manager, but that isn't what this game is about. And I CLEARLY stated that even if they had a generic franchise, people wouldn't be satisfied. And I CLEARLY understand that you want franchise mode. And I CLEARLY have not seen any CLEAR examples of how it could be presented in a format that would be fun and CLEARLY satisfy gamers who want a franchise mode.

edit: and yeah, I've played WE. It didn't have franchise mode in the one I played.
So basically, your premise is that even if 2K did added a generic play franchise mode, people still wouldn't be satisfied and would complain.

Well...that does it. Muggins has an eye to the future that everyone else doesn't possess. He also has the uncanny ability to know how people are thinking.

Wow. Wish I had that type of power.

If that is the basis of your debate...then it's poor. People go all up in arms over that "other" company and how it short-changes its customers, yet when 2K does it, which they did, people just have to deal with it?

There is no point in going back and forth with you.

I'll just take my place..."shut up and play" (you've fallen into line with that phrase, obviously)...and play with the legends.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM   #78
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
So basically, your premise is that even if 2K did added a generic play franchise mode, people still wouldn't be satisfied and would complain.

Well...that does it. Muggins has an eye to the future that everyone else doesn't possess. He also has the uncanny ability to know how people are thinking.

Wow. Wish I had that type of power.

If that is the basis of your debate...then it's poor. People go all up in arms over that "other" company and how it short-changes its customers, yet when 2K does it, which they did, people just have to deal with it?

There is no point in going back and forth with you.

I'll just take my place..."shut up and play" (you've fallen into line with that phrase, obviously)...and play with the legends.
No, I don't have an eye into the future. Yes, I do know how people think, especially on internet forums. Nothing is ever good enough.

But yeah, I'm just a fanboy. Disregard my thoughts. Shut up and play.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #79
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by burger13
sucks to be you.....

go have your NCAA and inferrior gameplay. you obviously cared enough about this game to come on it's forum and post and follow the release, demo, etc....but now will deprive yourself of it because 2K didn't handle the release the way you would have liked.
LOL It looks like some buttons have been pushed with this thread. I liked this one because of the "sucks to be you..." comment. Funny stuff!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 13

I don't understand the point of this thread myself.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »