Home

All Pro football 2k9 "League Mode"

This is a discussion on All Pro football 2k9 "League Mode" within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #1
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8
All Pro football 2k9 "League Mode"

A lot of people, including myself are a bit saddened that there is no franchise mode or equivalent in All Pro 2k8. Personally franchise is all I've ever played in sports games and it was a serious blow to the game when I found out it would be absent. I'll probably buy it anyway unless it gets terrible reviews just to get a break from EA (I'll also buy NCAA to satisfy my dynasty needs). Anyway some have said that a Franchise mode would be impossible in a game that centers around legends of the game. Rubbish I say! Here's my idea of what they could do next year to get a Franchise type mode in the game. I call it "League Mode"

1. You are the owner of a team in an upstart league that will challenge another league that has been dominant for years. (Obviously we know this is the NFL, but since they can't use the NFL in the game you coud just call it the "other league" and not mention it's name, like Voldemort or something).

2. Your challenge, along with seven other owners (Remember at the beginning it will be an upstart league and relatively small) will be to challenge this other leage for tv ratings, income, and players.

3. As this league is brand new you will be able to shape it to however you and the other owners see fit. For example you can have the rules be whatever you want. Want a high flying game like the CFL? Go for it. Want to bring back old school football before the foward pass came along? Do it. Everything else will be customizable like teams, uniforms etc. like it is in season mode. You will also be able to determine things like salary cap.

4. During each offseason you will meet with the other owners to determine league growth, like expansion, or perhaps even removing a team or two, rules changes, or moving a team to another city.

5. In the beginning the players of each team would be predetermined by the game designers and they would mostly be mid-level talent guys. Basically guys not quite good enough for the highest level but still talented. As the league progresses more and more players will begin to come to your league instead of that "other league" and the overall talent level will rise. You will not only have to draft guys, but you will have to convince them that your league is better than that "other league", so there's a recuiting element as well.

Also you would start out in a small stadium, maybe 40000 people, but as you get more money and generate more interest you could move to bigger stadiums.

6. Since we can't have legends in the game as players, you could hire legends as a coach or your GM. You yourself will also be a legend. For example you will be John Elway, owner of the Las Vegas Gamblers or whatever. Each other owner would also be a legend.

This would be a pretty big undertaking, but I think it would rock.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: All Pro football 2k9 "League Mode"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
6. Since we can't have legends in the game as players, you could hire legends as a coach or your GM. You yourself will also be a legend. For example you will be John Elway, owner of the Las Vegas Gamblers or whatever. Each other owner would also be a legend.

This would be a pretty big undertaking, but I think it would rock.
This is an interesting idea but doesn't work with APF. The point I quoted says enough right there.

This game is about legends. There isn't a legends mode. There aren't legends sprinkled in here and there. The focus of the game is the legends and everything about the game surrounds them. I don't think some get that, and others just want to be mad about them not making the game they wanted but it still doesn't change the facts. Lets take a look:

- casual gamers will buy the game to play with legends. not generic players with the same numbers as legends and superhuman abilities to show they're "great" but actually play as legends

- these legends have attributes that make them stand out from the rest

- these legends have animations packages that make them appear to play like they really did when they were in the NFL

- nonlegends are grouped to finish off a team that fits the style you want to play... anything else specific about any of them is clearly not important.

Whether you (this isn't all directed at you, JBucc, btw. that's a great idea you've got. this is for everyone still talking about the franchise) like what they've done or not is different than saying they could've easily done it with a franchise. Having legends retire at any point or even have their skills diminish would defeat the whole focus of the game.

And that doesn't mean it's only online focused. There are a million different combinations that can be put together. I could see playing more full seasons of this than 3 seasons in an NFL2k5 franchise. But I accept the concept and am willing to see how it feels. Not everyone seems to want to do that.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't want to completely poop on your thread man so this is what I'd like to see happen...

I think they should move in the WE direction with customization of players (not an easy task. don't know why everyone thinks it is, lol. WE wasn't fully customizable for a few years after coming out). Add a franchise mode that doesn't include legends at all. In short, move towards the game most wanted while still putting limitations on certain things to stay out of trouble with the NFL (nobody wants to be sued by the NFL... much scarier than FIFA). Keep the focus of the game, exhibition, season and online play including legends as they are now.

In the franchise, we should be able to assign attributes to players freely and create players that share tendencies and techniques (basically animations) as some of the legends since they're already in the game and will create uniqueness to the generics.

This probably can't happen for a couple of years b/c there's a lot involved so hopefully they'll keep working, but it's funny that saying "we didn't have time" to do something like this (which is what most of the people upset are talking about) isn't a good excuse.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 1

My god...just let it go...let this game come out and play. Man, you guys (who complain about franchise) are so annoying. No franchise, no franchise...we KNOW that there isn't franchise. Wait till the next iteration of the game comes out. God. I'd rather them focus on the game then just slapping something stupid together. You think it's easy to make a game...go program pong with no help and let's see how far you can go.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

If this was a board meeting and this was your "presentation", you would had been thrown out half way threw #1.

If i'm not mistaking I believe the only reason they didn't include a franchise mode was because they didn't have enough time time & and wanted to focus all there time into "game play".

Trust me, I'm sure they already have a good theme for a franchise thats probably being created as I type. Just enjoy this years game and next year will be even better. Therefor most if not all former NFL players will want to participate in this game's All Pro franchise.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

actually, in his defense, he said this is an example of what he believes they can do next year. i don't think it's a good example for this game but this particular thread doesn't deserve so much heat.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 3

This idea would work tremendously if the time frame began in the 50's or 60's. That way legends would unlock as seasons moved along and you could try to steal them away from the NFL draft in the year they became eligible in real life. Advancements in technology would also unlock as the years passed and you could upgrade stadiums and training facilities.

I think there are some possibilities here.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Pro

JBucc's Arena

OVR: 8

Please understand I'm not meaning to bash the game or 2k. I understand they didn't have enough time to put a Franchise mode in this year, and like I said I'm still buying it and I'm sure it will still be a lot of fun. But I thought without the restrictions of having to stick to the NFL or any league's format they could do some awesome stuff in the future and just wanted to toss some ideas out.

I'm new here but apparently the subject of franchise has been brought up too much and some of you are a little sensitive about it.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
Rookie

TooTall's Arena

OVR: 4

They should just have an option where you can do a franchise with all generic players and just make it fully customizable. I'd be fine with that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »