Home

Game Informer review= 8...solid score

This is a discussion on Game Informer review= 8...solid score within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Game Informer review= 8...solid score

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Are the graphics that bad? How can you agree or disagree on a game you haven't played?
Then I'll say it again: great game play (from everything we've been hearing) minus next-gen graphics (ala MLB 2K7 for example), Natural Motion and a boatload of features, modes and options that were in NFL 2K5, equals a solid 8. I agree with the OP. Fair score, reflective of what is in and what is not in the game.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy778
It seems that they would've given it a 9 if it had Franchise but I'm going to be playing it online 90 % of the time anyways so whatever.
A full point deduction for lack of Franchise mode? Okay, I can live with that. That means, as you pointed out, a solid 9 or 8.5 for the second reviewer.

Of course, these are just someones opinion. I'm usually more interested in the gameplay details that a review provides. I'll decide for myself how good or bad a game is -after some playtime.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #11
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Then I'll say it again: great game play (from everything we've been hearing) minus next-gen graphics (ala MLB 2K7 for example), Natural Motion and a boatload of features, modes and options that were in NFL 2K5, equals a solid 8. I agree with the OP. Fair score, reflective of what is in and what is not in the game.
What "next-gen" graphics are you talking about? Everyone who has played it said that it looks great.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2007, 01:41 PM   #12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
What "next-gen" graphics are you talking about? Everyone who has played it said that it looks great.
Like I said: MLB 2K7-level graphics. Or GOW-level graphics. Or have you seen the almost photo-realistic look of Halo 3? One improvement certainly would be player models that don't look so cartooney. Realistic touches like improved skin textures, and hair that isn't cemented to their heads, would also help. Also, have you seen Dan Marino? Doesn't resemble him in the slightest. Faces at the very least should be near photo-realistic, if they're to be considered next-gen at all.

And of course with this topic: always in the eye of the beholder, LOL

Last edited by baa7; 07-15-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Like I said: MLB 2K7-level graphics. Or GOW-level graphics. Or have you seen the almost photo-realistic look of Halo 3? One improvement certainly would be player models that don't look so cartooney. Realistic touches like improved skin textures, and hair that isn't cemented to their heads, would also help. Also, have you seen Dan Marino? Doesn't resemble him in the slightest. Faces at the very least should be near photo-realistic, if they're to be considered next-gen at all.

Show me a sports game that looks like Gears of War. Other than the hair I don't know what you're talking about.

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)
Old 07-15-2007, 01:51 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
Show me a sports game that looks like Gears of War. Other than the hair I don't know what you're talking about.
For the third time: MLB 2K7. Even NHL 07 was off the charts as far as graphical realism goes. That game LOOKS like an NHL hockey game in action. APF, no matter how much you squint, looks like a rendered, cartoon version of a football game.

Sounds like you don't REALLY want to know what I'm talking about. So let's call it IMO and leave it at that
Old 07-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Like I said: MLB 2K7-level graphics. Or GOW-level graphics. Or have you seen the almost photo-realistic look of Halo 3? One improvement certainly would be player models that don't look so cartooney. Realistic touches like improved skin textures, and hair that isn't cemented to their heads, would also help.

The three games you noted are all high bars though. I don't think things should be judged in strict black and white terms. Just focusing on the lack of "photo-realism" disregards the seeming improvements in the crowds, sidelines, overall atmosphere, etc.

Either way, I'm really not sure how the game will be scored - as I said before, while the game will get docked for not having a franchise mode, will reviewers be willing to give props to the game for being the only NG football title with online season mode (or whatever it's called)? Outside of franchise and perhaps minigames, what else is the game missing in terms of features that would be considered standard? I wouldn't expect 9s simply because this is the first game of the series and there's a lot of areas where the game can improve.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #16
Old School

MachoMyers's Arena

OVR: 20

I never played more than a single season of NFL 2k5 (played probably 8-10 single seasons with different teams, wasn't thrilled with the franchise mode) so a lack of a franchise mode for me is not a big deal. I think the appeal with this game is creating different teams, playing through a season, finding out what worked or didn't work for you and recreating another team. Offensive minded (passing, rushing) / Defensive minded (fast, big). I can easily see myself playing dozens of seasons with all different players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »