Home

Old 07-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 22
Re: IGN 7.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsdynasty
Everything he mentioned is the reason why Im taking it back for Madden. It was a good game with great gameplay. BUT nothing to keep you coming back for more. The fact that you cant play with one other than the team you made is a bad move for 2k. Anyway, Ill be playing NCAA for the next 24 days til IT DROPS

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/807/807182p1.html

Adiós Amigo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 AM   #42
All Star

OVR: 17

depends on what you like. I'm not a nut about "features" I buy the game to play football, not screw around in mini camp or stuff like that. Now if a game has a good franchise mode I'll use it, but I haven't found a Pro game(football or basketball) with a good enough franchise to keep me intereseted past a couple of seasons. Usually the AI for off-season decisions as far as FA pickups, trades, and drafts, is very flawed. I tend to have most fun with college dynasties like CH2k8 or the NCAA FB series. As for pro's I usually just end up playing single games between whatever teams strike my fancy that day. I'm having a blast with APF, i'd give it an 8 at least...but if you are a franchise whore it is probably not your cup of tea.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
this is a stupid review...and it's nice to know they're consistent.

ign from madden 06..

ign from APF 2k8
Good catch.

Consistency and equity seems to be deficient everywhere.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I disagree with the rating simply because of the following points:

1) yes it's best at multiplayer true, but the review doesn't even touch on the insane customization that can go on there and no two teams will look the same or have the same players online, so to not go into that aspect is selling the game short I think. this cannot be overstated enough, the fact that playing online will mean literally hundreds of different teams you will be facing, with different names, uniforms and players.

2) the reviewer also states the game has great gameplay but the AI is lacking. I haven't played the game enough to judge the AI but I think more what he means is AI tendencies, not AI. having a coach go "Air Coryell" or "Cowher 3 yards cloud of dust" or whatever is not so much the AI as the AI's tendencies. The AI I've experienced so far has been quite good in terms of football AI. now, getting back to gameplay being great. this is also understated in the review IMO. to me the core of a game is it's gameplay and the fact that the game is great at it, well, it's pretty huge overall.

From reading this guys review his score should be higher to correspond to what he writes, IMO anyways, like a 8.4 or 8.6 at least.

Anyways, to each his own I guess..
I agree. I think the AI is excellent. When the CPU takes 4th down gambles and calls timeout at the right times, and shifts the defense to cover open space, that's some good AI right there. The CPU has a killer instinct, and you have to be on your game all the time.

The only problem I have is that the Challenge system is essentially broken. I've had calls overturned in my favor but still lost the ball, and I've calls upheld in my favor and still lost the ball. Sometimes the challenge verdict has nothing to do with the play at all, lol. That's a real shame.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 6

Honestly, all reviews sound the same. The reviewing industry sounds like a homogenized cacophony of sheep sometimes. Every review eschews the high quality of gameplay and seems to spend far too much time worrying about the fluff extras and side games that they purport to be integral to a good score nowadays. When did it become that the core gameplay wasn't the most important aspect of a game? These reviews- IGN's included- spend 70% of their time pondering the loss of franchise mode and all-star teams, and about 30% of their time dissecting the actual gameplay mechanics.
It's high time that corporate reviews are ignored and community viewpoints and reviews stick out to the measuring stick

The unexamined life is not worth living...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2007, 10:19 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

I don't get why player are complaining about franchise. They knew before hand the game didn't have one. 2k took a big enough gamble by making a non-license football game. They are testing the water before investing more money. I bought AFP2k8 to encourage 2k in their endeavor. I believe a competitive market in the football game industry is a good thing. It's push EA and 2k to strive to make better products.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I disagree with the rating simply because of the following points:

1) yes it's best at multiplayer true, but the review doesn't even touch on the insane customization that can go on there and no two teams will look the same or have the same players online, so to not go into that aspect is selling the game short I think. this cannot be overstated enough, the fact that playing online will mean literally hundreds of different teams you will be facing, with different names, uniforms and players.

2) the reviewer also states the game has great gameplay but the AI is lacking. I haven't played the game enough to judge the AI but I think more what he means is AI tendencies, not AI. having a coach go "Air Coryell" or "Cowher 3 yards cloud of dust" or whatever is not so much the AI as the AI's tendencies. The AI I've experienced so far has been quite good in terms of football AI. now, getting back to gameplay being great. this is also understated in the review IMO. to me the core of a game is it's gameplay and the fact that the game is great at it, well, it's pretty huge overall.

From reading this guys review his score should be higher to correspond to what he writes, IMO anyways, like a 8.4 or 8.6 at least.

Anyways, to each his own I guess..
Yeah, that's what I got out of it too. It's like he tried to write a review for a 7-7.5 game and failed. Drakar's comment about people knowing ahead of time about no franchise puzzles me when I read posts like this. To me this game is head and shoulders above 2K5 and King Kong head and shoulders above ANYTHING EA has come out with. I can't understand anyone playing this game (it does have season mode, RIGHT!!??) and having played last years' Madden, anxiously awaiting this year's Madden.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakar
I don't get why player are complaining about franchise. They knew before hand the game didn't have one. 2k took a big enough gamble by making a non-license football game. They are testing the water before investing more money. I bought AFP2k8 to encourage 2k in their endeavor. I believe a competitive market in the football game industry is a good thing. It's push EA and 2k to strive to make better products.
I agree- this is the first step in the process. I guess a lower price tag could help peoples perceptions of value for this game, but nonetheless.... this is a solid football game.
I like that there is competition now, EA can't duck that fact. Hopefully next year 2k will bring the heat with features and additions.... more depth and even more detail.
I just wish reviewers would ask the question of "why" there is no franchise instead of just grating on 2k for not having one.
Asking questions like "why" would greatly add to the integrity of these reviewers- there needs to me more thought behind the review, rather than just a visceral knee-jerk "oh man there's so much missing..." that we continually get.

The unexamined life is not worth living...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »