Home

I will "go for 2" but don't take it personally

This is a discussion on I will "go for 2" but don't take it personally within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-21-2007, 12:10 PM   #9
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: I will "go for 2" but don't take it personally

I asked my wife, who has never played a video game in her life to try to kick a FG. It's a lazy Saturday and she looked at me like, "whatever, I'll play along"

So, I set up the exact circumstance to mine last night and on her 4th try she nailed a 37 yarder. She uses the thumb method that I use.

Then, my 12 year old daughter had to try herself because it looked like fun. She does play girly video games so she has good coordination. She nailed it on her 1st try. She actually uses 2 fingers.

I may try her method and see what happens.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 2

Get a bronze kicker ? Kicking is a very important part of football.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainey
Field goals it is important to have good timing. Kicking off it doesn't matter.
You may have saved me because my wife and daughter just told me that they do pause before the upswing. I will try that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree

I read somewhere that timing wasn't important, just the speed ofthe upswing.
Timing is VERY important, along with the speed and remaining center on the right stick. If you don't do it in a straight line it will veer to the right or left depending on which way you moved the stick.

your suppose to move the stick up to coincide with the leg of your kicker. if not you will miss.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 6

I invested in a silver kicker. It's 3 points from the 40 yard line on in. How can you turn that down? Usually you'd have to go for it or punt from there.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
You may have saved me because my wife and daughter just told me that they do pause before the upswing. I will try that.
pull back on the right stick and hold it. When the kicker takes his last step and is about to swing his foot forward to kick the ball, push the right stick straight forward as quickly as possible for maximum power. You definitely have to wait, up to a few seconds sometimes.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
fishstick

OVR:

I love the new kicking game. It is a leap forward similar to when golf games jumped from the three click meter to the analog stick - and works very similar.

You are pulling the stick back to snap the ball - then you just keep holding it back while your kicking goes through the motion and right up to the point he is about to make contact with the ball.

At the point the kickers leg is moving forward on the ball you want to push the stick forward - think of it as the kickers leg. You want to be kicking through the ball right when the animation does. There is an indicator that will tell you how well you timed your leg - early, perfect, way late etc...

The speed at which you move the analog stick (your 'leg') determines how much power you get into the kick. There is no indicator for this other than how far the ball actually goes. On a long field goal you need to move the stick from down to up very quickly to have the power you need. Also works nicely if you want to back off the power for a short punt.

The final piece, and what sounds like you are having problems with, is the accuracy. Like in a golf game the straightness of ball is determined by how straight you move the analog stick from down to up. There is an on screen indicator that tells you how straight your stick was. Maybe this would be more understandable if the indicator showed a little stick icon and the line your thumb took.

So if you are kicking strong but tend to move the stick slightly to the right of center your ball will go slighlty right. The faster you move the stick to produce a hard kick the tougher it is to keep your thumb moving on a straight axis. That is a good feature and actaully breaths a little interaction and life into the kicking game. It also allows you to hook kicks down into the corner or use the wind to your advantage by bending the ball.

Start by practicing short kicks where you do not need the power and can move the stick slower to get used to keeping your thumb on a straight up and down axis. I noticed you had one that was straight but fell short so I would guess as you try to put more power into the ball (by moving the stick faster down to up) your thumb gets more erratic and does not stay on a straight axis.

It is hard to realize and everyone thinks the move the stick 'straight' up and down but odds are you are angling it a litte one way or the other. If you think about how you hold a stick and the way your thumb is connected to your hand and moves it would look like ( . So this is probably why you see a lot of kicks to the right. Then when you try to compensate for this natural motion you overcompensate to the left. All you can really do is practice. It isn't too hard to pick up. Maybe change your grip around during kicks or use a finger instead?

Last edited by fishstick; 07-21-2007 at 01:08 PM.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2007, 02:12 PM   #16
MVP

RunN1st's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
I asked my wife, who has never played a video game in her life to try to kick a FG. It's a lazy Saturday and she looked at me like, "whatever, I'll play along"

So, I set up the exact circumstance to mine last night and on her 4th try she nailed a 37 yarder. She uses the thumb method that I use.

Then, my 12 year old daughter had to try herself because it looked like fun. She does play girly video games so she has good coordination. She nailed it on her 1st try. She actually uses 2 fingers.

I may try her method and see what happens.
Yeah, but how did the dog and hamster do?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »