Home

Why/How does your team work?

This is a discussion on Why/How does your team work? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Why/How does your team work?

My team is a run heavy offense with an okay defense

Gold - Emmitt Smith(RB) and Larry Little(G)
Silver - Joe DeLamielleure(G), Jim Langer(C) and Bob St. Clair(T)
Bronze - William Perry(DT), Joe Jacoby(T), Mike Golic(DT), Dexter Manley(DE), Chuck Noll(ILB), Carl Banks(OLB)

The first game I played with this team was Online where I won 35 to 21. Smith did great breaking some very nice runs and performing well rushing for 186 yards and one Touchdown on 23 Carries along with 43 yards and 2 Touchdowns on 4 receptions.

I will probably be trying other backs and maybe remove the Jacoby and pick up another DE as I run to the right side more than the left.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I can't say mine works all that well, being that I have a losing record online, but it's fun to play with:

Gold:
Emmitt Smith HB
Night Train Lane CB

Silver:
Moose Johnston FB
Dante Lavelli WR
Jessie Tuggle ILB

Bronze:
Neil O'Donnell QB
Mick Tinglehoff C
Fred Marion FS
Randy Cross G
Anthony Carter WR
Tony Tolbert DE

Generics:
QB: Pocket
WR: Balanced
RB: Finesse
OL: Run Block
DL: Pass Rush
LB: Balanced
CB: Coverage
S: Balanced

Obviously, the biggest thing that makes my team work on offense is the powerhouse backfield. I sure miss the days those two were together.

When the run starts getting stuffed, I do have other options though. O'Donnell isn't a great QB, but with Lavelli (great route runner, and can beat bump coverage) and Carter (good hands) flanking, he can put up some decent numbers. I run a lot of sets that I can run or pass out of, so Emmitt is a constant threat. Neil's Signal stealer helps here - if I see a pass-heavy defense, I can audible to a run without a formation shift. It also helps that I can send either Emmitt or Moose into the flats if my WR's are getting smothered - they both have excellent hands. TE is a liability, but I usually just use him for blocking anyway - no big loss. Maybe I should pick up Novacek sometime to really get the Cowboys theme going.

On defense I have one main concern: SHUT DOWN THE PASS. My generic backs are geared toward pass coverage, and Night Train is always locked on the #1 WR. Lane is a beast - I can't count the number of times he's saved touchdowns by making plays 1 on 1. Most teams only have 1 really good reciever, but when somebody throws multiple legend WR's at me, the D gets a little overwhelmed.

That's not to say I can't defend the run at all - Lane, Marion and Tuggle are all good run stoppers. It's just not the focus of my defense though, and if I want to stop (or even slow down) a back like Earl Cambpell, I have to start adjusting my playcalling.

Last edited by bcruise; 07-23-2007 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:36 PM   #11
Rookie

kickingguru's Arena

OVR: 6

I actually made a team with all Defensive players except for Christian Okoye.....

Low scoring afairs for sure, but I find enough offense to win and a defense that is simply stiffling!!!!!

I use the 2 gold for a FS and CB.... and Silvers for DE's and a DT... The Bronze to fill the rest of the defense. There are no breakaway passes or runs on me!!!

Late,

The Guru
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #12
Hall Of Fame

Sandman42's Arena

OVR: 40

Gold:
Rod Woodson
Reggie White

Silver:
Randall Cunningham
Andre Reed
Lester Hayes

Bronze:
Christian Okoye
Wesley Walker
Joe Jacoby
Randy Cross
Pepper Johnson
Dexter Manley

I run a pretty balanced offense using most of the generic formations (I, singleback, split-back, shotgun) with a good balance between the run and the pass. Generally I'll pass more earlier in the game trying to build up an early lead and let my defense and Okoye try and preserve. With Woodson and Hayes at Cb and White and Manley at DE, I run a lot of man defense since it is hard to beat those 2 CB's while White and Manley terrorize the QB. If I have a lead on the opponent I'll generally go more towards Okoye, running through their defense and killing the clock.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Pro

Dregur's Arena

OVR: 5

My Favorite team so far was this:

Gold:
**** Butkus
James Lofton

Silver:
Too Tall Jones
Don Maynard
Ricky Watters

Bronze:
Eugene Robinson
Clyde Simmons
Korey Stringer
Tony Boselli
(bronze center I can't remember his name)
Steve Bartowski

Offensive philosophy

Deep passing. James Lofton and Don Maynard are both fast and faster. Great deep threat WR's. Paired with Ricky Watters, I have three solid recievers. And my offensive line is absolutely solid with Stringer and Boselli defending the bookends, and the bronze center protecting the middle of the O-Line, gives me plenty of time for my WR's to get downfield.

Ricky Watters is just solid, he can run and catch, and he is a fairly good at picking up the blitz.

Steve Bartowski is the cog that makes the offensive run with his rocket arm and being a signal stealer. He can throw a grand total of 15 times, and have 300 yards passing easily with the weapons I gave him on offense.

Defensive theme:

My philosophy is this: Build from the front 7, out.

From my experiences playing the game, I never like to bother with CB legends, because if you don't get a good pass rush, you're gonna get burned sometime, even with a Gold CB. Also, the generic outside linebackers are pretty good outside of pass rushing, so I like to not spend a star on OLB's. I also believe that the MLB is the most important position on defense. Not only does he make the line calls, but he has to defend the run AND defend the pass equally in the middle of the field. And who better than that than Mr. Butkus himself (Singletary is good too, but I like the leadership bonus).

And to overcome the defiency in my secondary, other than Robinson, I drafted two pass rushing bookend's to pressure the QB so they can't even get a good pass off in the first place. Too Tall Jones is one of the best there ever was, and is a monster in pass rushing duties. However, since he's double teamed a lot, I like having another pass rushing DE on the other side who actually ends up getting more sacks, and Simmons is a more than a willing partner to Jones. He can pass rush as well as defend the run, and who I believe is one of the best defensive bargains in the game.

-The Grinman

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »