Home

Maybe I'm Missing Something

This is a discussion on Maybe I'm Missing Something within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Maybe I'm Missing Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by srudoff
so you've actually played 2k8????

db ai sucks in 2k8

when madden first came out on next gen totally stripped of features, it was ripped ad nauseum here. now no one here wants to admit that the emperor has no clothes

they could have put fps '99 in a box and it would have been lauded here
It's people like you, that try to lump everyone in a box. Maybe the fact of the matter is we all knew what features would not be in the game ahead of time. Many people were willing to accept the gameplay first approach. People always say that and have now had the opportunity to actually live up to it. Instead of looking for the wheel to be re-invented with every iteration of a game. The amount of polish to what was allready arguably the finest football sim available does not go unoticed. I appreciate the option to have an option. Whether anybody calls me a fanboy or whatever other internet geek lingo there is. I've missed playing 2k football for a while and love this game. The primary problems being missing or stripped down features or whatever else aren't my issue. And it's not because im a fanboy. Its because I can spend the $60 bucks without it breaking my budget and needing to get 1000 gameplay hours out of it. I actually have enjoyed it more than ncaa, but also like that game. It allows me the ability to do more with the off the field attributes of ncaa (and madden when it comes out) because Im not trying to pick just one game to play. It actually is a totally different experience and I love that. So just relax you don't like it cool. Youre mad because theres no franchise, cool. You want more, cool. Im good though, that should also be cool.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 PM   #26
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Well I guess I'm in the minority but I HATE!! franchise modes. If I never see another franchise mode in a sports game again I would love it.

With that being said the game is improved in everyway just without ESPN and NFL liscenses. It seems you guys are bashing the game for not having a presentation liscense and a team and player liscense or the ability to recreate an NFL setting.

Its what's missing most, the elements of the game that helps create a 2k5 presentation and gasp! franchise mode.

Its just a football game nothing more than that. It's not NFL nor NCAA.

There are a few aspects of the game that I hate, one is the player models during gameplay. They are horrible. They use blockier models during gameplay and smooth next gen models for the replay or cutscenes. Another would that you are forced to pick a side when choosing what type of generics you want. If you choose balanced they stink or if you choose one area to excell in they stink in the other area.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:40 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 47

Quote:

db ai sucks in 2k8

when madden first came out on next gen totally stripped of features, it was ripped ad nauseum here. now no one here wants to admit that the emperor has no clothes

You are so off it is not even funny, but oh well. This game does have better DB's compare to 2k5. It is not predfect, but it is not that bad either. Also, this is their first year. Oh yeah the presentation is a lot better than anyother football game out. I mean come on just watch the sidelines go nuts, makes this whole game come alive. This game does more "rights" than "wrongs", if you ask me
Old 07-23-2007, 06:51 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 9

I was thinking about how this game is half-assed (and yet I still like it) and it reminded me that there was a thread somewhere on OS about 'whether you would play a game if all it had was...'
  • Quick game against the cpu
  • Quick game against another human
  • Online play

Here's a link to that discussion if interested (it was in the baseball forum earlier this year) LINK

Now, this game is basically that, with a half-assed season thrown in. I didn't think I would see a game come out in this day and age without a franchise mode, but amazingly we have one....and I actually enjoy it too, despite the fact that I am unable to make playing a 30 year franchise a full time job. Amazing.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsdynasty
Thats what they did. 2K fans never thought hey, they took out features what the hell. Because why? Its 2K and you cant tell a 2K fan anything. I call it tunnel vision. They only see the road and not the trees. When EA does it the whole entire company sucks. Its funny that way. I think its halarious.
YOu can call it what you want, but you know and i know, this game is a feel out game. They wanted to see if there was a market for this kind of game. What they did was give offline the basics, and from the start of kick off until the clock hits 0:00 its a 10/10. The game play is that damn good. Is there problems with the game? sure, tell me what football game doesnt have its share of bugs and what not.

I remember a interview the Jeff Thomas goes, buy the game, if we get enough sales we can sign more players for next years game. I would love if they had say over 500 legends and you can field maybe even a whole football team of legends. I really don't care for the generic guys. I mean, they do their purpose they can make a play once in a while.

I in all honesty do not want 2k5 to get the NFL license back. I want them to stick to this kind of game. I want them to keep being the underdog so they can put maximum effort into the game. I really dont care about franchise and all that. I am a Online guy, but i would like to see them put all that in there for the peoplle that like offline games.

Jeff Thomas also said this game was made for the old fans of 2k football, and he knows its not what everyone wants. Again, its just a test the market game.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:13 PM   #30
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:

db ai sucks in 2k8

They didnt beat around the bush with what was in it. They straight out told everyone, There is no franchise mode. There is just a season mode, online play and quick game.

If people had done a little research. I know when i buy something i usually do some kind of research. I dont wanna drop cash into something for nothing. I bought a HDTV i did a little bit of searching through various websites, read the reader's reviews and made a choice.

I had said on other websites from the get go. THis game is not going to be for everone. its going to be to much of a pain in the butt for the casual football fan. Hard core football gaming freaks are going to love this game.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #31
Banned

srudoff's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdribbles25
It's people like you, that try to lump everyone in a box
that was classic
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 08:19 PM   #32
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
For me it has been NCAA 08 that I have played the most so far. It isn't a game without flaws, but I'm just not seeing what other people are seeing in All-Pro 2K8. Almost every tackle animation is one that you are locked in to with no chance of breaking (a previous problem of NCAA), and not only that, almost every tackle is a freakin' gang tackle that ends with the animation going in to semi-slow motion at the end. I really wish that 2K sports would speed up the animations like what happened this year with NCAA 08, catching a pass in the flats is almost useless because of the “catch delay” that you experience when receiving the ball. The blocking on kickoffs and punts isn’t good (there is almost always a man waiting right in front of me when I catch the ball). This leads me to another issue, and that is the kick/punt cameras which I think are the worst in any sports game ever. Why not rotate the camera as soon as the punter KICKS the ball so that you can check out possible return lanes BEFORE you catch the ball? Rotating the camera after you catch the ball is once again useless as you have very little time to actually pick a hole/lane to run through.

The controls (especially passing) feel floaty and somewhat unresponsive. Even on FAST gameplay, when you throw a long pass it seems to hang in the air forever. All of this coupled with you still having to "charge up" moves and continuously tap the speed burst button make the game not-so-fun to play for me. I’m just not seeing where these things equate to a better gameplay experience than this years NCAA. I think that All-Pro has some potential, but in my opinion this engine feels old and in need of a serious overhaul. Again NCAA isn't perfect either; INTS are still too high for the CPU and Human player, the CPU still refuses to take shots downfield in the passing game, and the grass textures and weather effects need to be brought up to “next gen” standards, but overall I still think that it plays better and more fluid than APF does. I am sure that I will get flamed to pieces by some people, but that's just one mans honest opinion. So before the flamers come in here and accuse me of being an EA "fanboy" I want to say that I think that NBA 2K7 blows Live OUT OF THE WATER!.....it’s not even close, 2K sports is way ahead in the basketball area, but when it comes to football I think EA has the upper hand.
Above is what I posted in a thread in the General Football forum. I guess that I am also in the minority in that I just don't see where APF is such a great playing game. I REALLY agree with another poster who stated that that lame "charge-up" crap isn't at all sim. I freakin' HATE that stuff, football is a split second reactionary game, not one where you "charge up" to do a super spin, juke, or stiff arm on someone....they need to do away with that gameplay mechanic all together. Maybe I am missing something but I think that IGN's review was pretty accurate (something I RARLEY say) saying that basically the gameplay felt "disappointingly artificial" at times. I agree with that and I also feel that the gameplay can feel "scripted" and like things are out of your control.....I could go on and on but I think that people get my point....I just don't see what all the positive ranting and raving over APF is all about.

Last edited by Illustrator76; 07-23-2007 at 08:21 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »