Home

How would you rate 2k8? Review wise.

This is a discussion on How would you rate 2k8? Review wise. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: How would you rate 2k8? Review wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruPlaya
6/10...

- bored, you can only play so much with the same guys

- can only play with the team I choose

- tired of created and modifying teams...etc...

- control scheme pisses me off

- playbooks suck

- line and coverage shifts are not even fun when playing hum vs hum.

- Game might have the atomsphere but other than that NCAA plays better.

The game is new and I approached it as such but I just wanna play. This isn't a pick up and play game, this is a pick up, create, modify, check, double check, modify again, so on and so forth. Get this crap outta here!!!

1. When you play Madden you are playing with the same guys over and over again. The Cowboys are always the Cowboys. The Redskins always the Redskins. Do you complain about that ? I will agree they should have made it so you can just play with one of the default teams, but I think the whole big picture point of this game is to break that mold. They want you to make your own team according to your playing style/strategies.

Actually its been a unique challenge building teams according to different offensive/defensive philosphy. I have one team with 1 legend DE and 1 legend LB as anchors to a defense built on generics. I built the team that way so I would have to rely on play calling more than relying on ringers. Its harder to stop the run and pass but they DO shut down what the called play and some tweaking with hot routes is suppose to shutdown.

2. See 1.

3. I can understand that and agree. It you want to just jump right in and play, that option should have been available.

4. Like anything, you have to practice it to get familiar and comfortable with it. I play NCAA and AP2K8 and don't have problems with either.

5. The default books are kinda weak. However if you look in the playbook manager there are alot of good plays. I do wish the plays in the 2 back formations had a bit more variety to them though.

6. The way you call hotroutes in this game is way better than NCAA. You can make adjustments much faster the way AP2K8 has it setup. In NCAA you MIGHT be able to hot route 2 players before the ball is snapped and you had better be fast to do it. I do wish AP2K8 had provided more defensive fronts since they removed the ability to shift the defensive line. However they do give you control on which direction your LB's blitz. Other than that this game does everything any other football game does, plus more.

7. Subjective - Pepsi, Coke.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:46 AM   #18
MVP

P.S

I rate the game a 9.

Because IMO to date this is the best playing football game ever made. The strategy to it is deep. The atmosphere IMO to the game is better than any football game currently out, and despite the presentation being not up to 2k5 standards is STILL better than anything currently out IMO.

One more thing. How many slider threads have you seen for this game ? NOT ONE ! This game out the box plays GREAT. That in itself says alot.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
I'm in here...

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
This was about ratings and real reviews, not made up opinions.

Give mature reviews, not childish opinions.
Well if you really want to get technical, this thread is nothing but a glorified "look at me and my impressions" thread.

Anyhow, Tombsong, I tried to give it a honest shot, but online football is not for me, I played it with friends, family and solo.

I just want to play the game and not have to keep editing. And since I'm against editing and recreating teams some will hate my posts, oh well. 2k knew that this game will not be liked by the masses, hence the be quiet and play thing. I liked APF the 1st 5 or 6 games but with limited time to play, I want to pick up and play. Give us playbooks to use, yeah we can create our own, although when you edit your team, you have to edit the playbook to fit.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:16 PM   #20
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Well if you really want to get technical, this thread is nothing but a glorified "look at me and my impressions" thread.

Anyhow, Tombsong, I tried to give it a honest shot, but online football is not for me, I played it with friends, family and solo.

I just want to play the game and not have to keep editing. And since I'm against editing and recreating teams some will hate my posts, oh well. 2k knew that this game will not be liked by the masses, hence the be quiet and play thing. I liked APF the 1st 5 or 6 games but with limited time to play, I want to pick up and play. Give us playbooks to use, yeah we can create our own, although when you edit your team, you have to edit the playbook to fit.
i notice your complaint about the games making you do too much. Kind of a big difference compared to the others who say they dont let you do enough.

I personally just got my team, got a uniform code for a dolphins look from the boards, and have been playing without having to really do much more than that, so i disagree that you cant pick up and play the game. However, it does give you the ability to fine tune the team that you make.

Do you feel the same way about the extra modes that the other football games give you, such as franchise and extra customization for each player? or do you just enjoy the fact that they have set up pre-determined teams for you just to play?
Old 07-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
6/10...

- bored, you can only play so much with the same guys

- can only play with the team I choose

- tired of created and modifying teams...etc...

- control scheme pisses me off

- playbooks suck

- line and coverage shifts are not even fun when playing hum vs hum.

- Game might have the atomsphere but other than that NCAA plays better.

The game is new and I approached it as such but I just wanna play. This isn't a pick up and play game, this is a pick up, create, modify, check, double check, modify again, so on and so forth. Get this crap outta here!!!
Sorry you don't like the game True, but I'm wondering if you have given it enough time? As for the creation and modification of the teams does it really take that long, and personally I find it a great feature of the game. By the way, how do you like the gameplay VS NCAA and/or Madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 12:53 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Truplaya...you have certainly become popular...but you have valid points... I love this game...but I would rate it 7.8 overall. It is lacking is some significant features...I mean a tutorial would have been a nice addition. It is not a pick up and play game and there is a great deal of customization. I personally like this but I agree it's not for everyone. The area this game really shines is gameplay and online and I love the attributes system. Changing defensive cover shells, double teaming, QB spy, good defensive AI, Offensive line assignments. It's just deep... and online is amazing!...I was a bit put off at first by the lack of features compared to 2K5 but the gameplay has won me over.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #23
I'm in here...

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi151
Do you feel the same way about the extra modes that the other football games give you, such as franchise and extra customization for each player? or do you just enjoy the fact that they have set up pre-determined teams for you just to play?
Well I rented the other 08 game and I generated names, cool. I'm done and ready to play. I'm not going through rosters looking for this QB or that HB, I just play. I don't follow college football so made up names are good for me. Colors and accessories are nice but its seems the premise around this game was for you to have as much customization as you would like, maybe too much of one and not enough of the other. 2k is real bogus for making super teams and giving us limited options of creating our team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Sorry you don't like the game Tru, but I'm wondering if you have given it enough time? As for the creation and modification of the teams does it really take that long, and personally I find it a great feature of the game. By the way, how do you like the gameplay VS NCAA and/or Madden?
Gameplay is great, never had a problem there, but sometimes I feel that I don't have total control of what I'm doing. I can't break on the ball like the other games, defense and offense. Everything kind of seems predetermined, I may be wrong or I just haven't put enough time in it yet. I will admit its different...like Cameo said "Strange"
Old 07-23-2007, 04:20 PM   #24
All Star

As has been said many times over, I'd love to have a franchise mode. But I don't understand how the online options VC has given are totally discounted when it comes to determining the game's possible longevity. I'm not much of an online player anymore - used to be; would play Madden for hours online on CG back in '03-'04. NG is a different story; I've probably played 10 or so games of NBA2K7 online, and haven't played a single game of MLB2K7 online in the past year. My friends list was pathetic.

I've already played 4 games online with APF in less than a week. And began reaching out to other gamers and utilizing XBL more than I was.

Imo that's part of the game's appeal. I wasn't much of a FPS fan until I played Halo. This game has been such a joy to play. And imo gameplay should be weighted differently than other game aspects when reviewing because it's by far the most important aspect. Another aspect that seems discounted at times w/APF is the countless little nuances they've built into the game that really add to the overall experience. I find myself running replays near-constantly because of all the off the ball activity - players helping each other up. Or tapping each other on the helmet as if to say "good play". Sideline reactions. Players pulling down on their collar to adjust their shoulder pads. Crowd reactions that react realistically to what's going on the field. The flatout raw EMOTION that the players show - that's what football is about. They really did a great job w/the trash talk aspect of the game imo. There are just too many little touches that the game does that it almost deserves to be considered separately, especially when it's doing these things so much better than any other game out there. The attention to detail is amazing.

Gameplay is something that really doesn't need to be touched on; there's never been a football game imo that has the level of player interaction this game does. Players use their hands realistically, positioning is important, etc. I don't think it has a "pure" physics system, but it's obvious it takes direction, weight, and speed into account - no piggyback/shove/flag football tackles here. While there's a lot of dialog recycled from 2K5 w/Dan and Peter, they still do a great job of calling the game and never allowing it to sound boring. The additional dialog is really good imo. While some people don't like the Field Pass, I really like it - and I thought I wouldn't. Either way, it can be turned off.

My biggest disappointment is actually the game's default uniforms - they're just so bland. When you look at the creations some have come up with, it'd add so much more to the game visually. APF doesn't have the graphical sheen that Madden/NCAA have, but when you combine nice unis with all the extras going on (sidelines, crowds, refs, etc.) APF easily holds it's own in that department. If VC is somehow able to give us a few additional customization options (using uniform codes for every team in season mode, more editing options for the generic/created players) it would send the game's value that much higher.

There are also other smaller disappointments like the lack of player control, especially on defense. And I'd like to see refs actually spotting the ball and the chain gangs being used as they were in 2K5. I'd like to see a more refined juke system. But those are relatively small quibbles compared to everything they got right. There are other things that could be better but I think when taken as a whole, especially given the restrictions VC likely worked within, this game overdelivers. The game isn't perfect nor should that be the expectation. I think it's remarkable that we're talking about a generic pro football game to the degree we are on the next gen consoles - particularly when you consider how prominant the NFL is when people think pro football, and this is this is VC's first NG attempt at pro football.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »