Home

When it is all said and done...

This is a discussion on When it is all said and done... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
MVP

Trevytrev11's Arena

OVR: 19
When it is all said and done...

To those that have the game or have played the game:

When it is all said and done, are you happy with the route 2K went with the legends? If so, is 240 legends enough? I hear about people running into the same players game after game online and I just wonder if this kind of hindered the experience. While initially it may not be a big deal, it seems that maybe after a while, it could get a little stale constantly playing against Cunningham, Sanders and or Payton.

Do you think they could have implemented the system in a better way?

Would you have been happier if they had went the fully generic way?

If there is going to be a 2K9, do you want them to keep up with the legends trend and hopefully add as many more legends as they can or do you think that the game will get old next year with the majority of returning faces in addition to maybe 10-50 new faces. Or would you rather have them go with a generic game that allows for more customization of the generic players?

My reasoning for this post is basically that I'm starting to see some posts of people who originally loved the game, but are beginning to get a little bored with the title as they continue to run in to nearly repetitive teams and it got me thinking of whether or not this could have a lasting effect for future versions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: When it is all said and done...

I'll start:

1) I am extremely happy with going the legends route? Is 240 enough? Absolutely not. But I ma hopeful wih more time and a bigger budget the next version of APF will address that.

2) I don't have a major problem with how they implemented it. I think my gripe is the same as everyone else's - I just want MORE control over my players..all of them..including the generics. That's not too much to ask.

3) Fully generic? Probably would not have purchased this.

4) For 2k9..I want it all. More legends and more customization
Old 07-23-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn33
I'll start:

1) I am extremely happy with going the legends route? Is 240 enough? Absolutely not. But I ma hopeful wih more time and a bigger budget the next version of APF will address that.

2) I don't have a major problem with how they implemented it. I think my gripe is the same as everyone else's - I just want MORE control over my players..all of them..including the generics. That's not too much to ask.

I couldn't have said it any better. Well said and cosign.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 14

I think the legends idea is awesome. Any game where I can take Emmitt Smith and he plays like emmitt is a cool game to me. I'd honestly take that over current rosters. Does 2k need to update a lot of things and make this a more current engine and game and add more legends? absolutely....
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn33
I'll start:

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre4vr
I couldn't have said it any better. Well said and cosign.
Ditto!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

I'm fine with legends (although I was opposed to them when rumored and first announced). They didn't overpower them, and that is what I was worried about.

My only real gripe with this game is that they have made the generics so anonymous....multiple players have the same number, when you make adjustments to your legends it changes who the generics are too, etc. I am willilng to buy into this fictional football world, but 2k has made it extremely difficult to do so since it is near impossible to actually attach yourself to a player.

If I were to change the way the legends were implemented, it would be this:
  • Bigger legend pool (400-500 players)
  • fine with the 2,3,6 set up
  • Make all golds have 4 or 5 abilities
  • make all silvers have 3+ abilities
  • make all bronze have 2+ abilities
  • make all generics have 1 ability and let the user choose those other 11 starters

By doing this, you could build an identity with your generic players, which would be of immense help to the offline community. If I want to have 1 speed burner generic WR and 1 Possession WR I should be able to do so and then put those guys in position to take advantage of those skills....right now, I have no idea who does what well, and that makes them all interchangeable....which is fine for online play, but terrible for those that try to create their own version of reality in their season/franchise/whatever.

I do think they are on to something with this game however.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

I agree with all your points.
I'd add that I really miss a franchise mode.
I'm not sure the best way to handle this with the legends.

One of the things I miss from 2K5 is the draft and the contract process.
I liked trying to build a dynasty and hold the nucleus together as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdros13
I'm fine with legends (although I was opposed to them when rumored and first announced). They didn't overpower them, and that is what I was worried about.

My only real gripe with this game is that they have made the generics so anonymous....multiple players have the same number, when you make adjustments to your legends it changes who the generics are too, etc. I am willilng to buy into this fictional football world, but 2k has made it extremely difficult to do so since it is near impossible to actually attach yourself to a player.

• make all generics have 1 ability and let the user choose those other 11 starters

By doing this, you could build an identity with your generic players, which would be of immense help to the offline community. If I want to have 1 speed burner generic WR and 1 Possession WR I should be able to do so and then put those guys in position to take advantage of those skills....right now, I have no idea who does what well, and that makes them all interchangeable....which is fine for online play, but terrible for those that try to create their own version of reality in their season/franchise/whatever.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #8
nxt
H**sm*n

nxt's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdros13

I like your ideas. IMO, one of the things that would have made the game more fun and re-playable is to have included a draft during season mode. The absence of franchise mode is probably my biggest gripe, because I'm mainly an offline dynasty/franchise mode player. If a draft were included I think the re-playability factor would increase because the teams you played, would change each season, and the draft would add more strategy when selecting players for your team.

They definitely need to increase the number of Legends. The thing is they don't all need to be HOF-types (besides the GOLD TIER), so there are a ton of former players that were very good to great that they can sign. If they continue to go LEGEND & GENERIC route, I would also like the ability to select individual GENERICS to fill my roster as I see fit. Actually being able to select players individually does help in building that team identity.

Last edited by nxt; 07-23-2007 at 07:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »