Home

Help Looking "The Field" Rather Than "1 Receiver" (Offense)

This is a discussion on Help Looking "The Field" Rather Than "1 Receiver" (Offense) within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 6
Help Looking "The Field" Rather Than "1 Receiver" (Offense)

Hey guys, I haven't played much Football games although I am decent, rather I've been a basketball fanatic when it comes to sports games, but I've been really into this game and I need some advice.

When I play this game my eyes are usually on one receiver and that is usually my gold receiver, I rely on one receiver, I have the instinct to throw to that one receiver, but I feel that is inappropriate.

I want to concentrate on the whole field so I can find who's open. And also the fear of getting sacked is my concern, any help on how I can help fix this?

Should I drop back maybe 10 yards with the QB? Learn the Routes as well as I can? What would you guys recommend?
NO! I will not change this until Lakers get to Western Conference Finals!!! Friday, Oct 13, 2006 (It is raining hard) 8:14pm 30sec (Check)

NO! I will not change this Until Lakers Are 2008-2009 Champs! Friday, Oct 3, 2008
(Check)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Help Looking "The Field" Rather Than "1 Receiver" (Offense)

i dont worry about the rush and i let the cpu control my qb's drop back (dont control him after the hike at all) and when he finishes dropping back i throw the ball

i focus on 2 or 3 guys though, not the whole field... my 2 wr's and my te

just dont worry about the rush and make sure you are not moving while throwing, helps the accuracy alot
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Nobody just goes through a progression or is that not the best way to do it in a video game?
Old 07-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Go to practice and find some passing plays that you like and can execute well to just about everyone. Stick with the plays you can run and get rid of the ones you can't. If you don't think your team jives with the scheme you can run, then change the team until you get a scheme you like. The key to passing is to try to know who will be open before the play even starts. Do that by practicing against different coverage schemes.

You'd be surprised, but you can get by on a very low number of plays that you actually run often.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Nobody just goes through a progression or is that not the best way to do it in a video game?
its easier to just read his safeties...

easiest way to know where to go with the ball
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLisFUN
Hey guys, I haven't played much Football games although I am decent, rather I've been a basketball fanatic when it comes to sports games, but I've been really into this game and I need some advice.

When I play this game my eyes are usually on one receiver and that is usually my gold receiver, I rely on one receiver, I have the instinct to throw to that one receiver, but I feel that is inappropriate.

I want to concentrate on the whole field so I can find who's open. And also the fear of getting sacked is my concern, any help on how I can help fix this?

Should I drop back maybe 10 yards with the QB? Learn the Routes as well as I can? What would you guys recommend?

actually, what you might want to try is to NOT drop back too far. See, the common mistake people make to avoid pressure is to drop too far back. The pocket is called the pocket for a reason. You have to stay in that small circle that forms around the QB. Dropping back too far takes you right out of that and allows the linebackers to really get in quicker. Also, since this is video game football, an easy way is to increase the slider for your passing protection and slowly decrease it as you feel more comfortable with your qb reads over time
Old 07-23-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I have to second Kelrik. I'm no Montana when it comes to seeing the field, but I find that the best strategy is to try to survey the movement of the defense as a whole at the snap: see where the safeties go, if anyone is blitzing, etc. Then you can shift your vision to the open spots in the field and pick out your recievers from there.

Alternatively, you can pick two options to start out with, set a read at the line that will tell you which one would be best to go with, and act accordingly. This is a bit easier to do than the first method, but just because receiver 1 is covered doesn't mean your 2nd option will be open. Once you get to know your playbook better, you can increase your initial options to three and four gradually.

APF complicates this process by offering shell coverages and more varied positions for defensive backs to take on receivers, so don't beat yourself up if it takes you time to get good at it--this is a good sim game, which means it's hard to move the ball consistently and score points if your opponent is talented and knows what s/he is doing. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:56 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I guess it all depends upon your camera angle. Many with a "bird's eye view" could more easily look at 3 and possibly 4 receivers simultaneously.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »