Home

I think its time for a divorce from EA football

This is a discussion on I think its time for a divorce from EA football within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #33
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34
Re: I think its time for a divorce from EA football

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Why? How does it "mess everything up?"

Why can't this be discussed like normal adults without people getting their feelings hurt if things stray beyond the usual OS Politically Correct game discussions?

If someone says "You know, I like APF2K8 over NCAA 08 for the following reasons.." (or vice versa) ..and someone's feelings are hurt by that who likes the other product...

..So what?

People's opinions don't have to match.

Seriously, are we all that EMO & sensitive? If we are, it's shrink time, folks.

Seriously...did you just register to OS yesterday??? lol You should know the reasons.

Look at the threads in here.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:04 AM   #34
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
And in doing this, they are taking slices at EA.

I thought bringing up the "other games" in this forum was frowned upon.

Nothing wrong with not taking in EA's games, because I haven't for two years, but what stuff like this does is indirectly undercut those that feels good about NCAA Football. It's funny, I'm not seeing APF being brought up over in the NCAA forum. In here, EA is brought up almost 50% of the time.

Just talk about APF and APF alone. It's a great, unique game on its lonely. Dragging an EA game in comparison just messes up everything.
I see where you are going and appreciate the comment.

But, this is not a matter of bashing EA. Let's face it, every single one of us has played the heck out of an EA game or two. I personally loved Madden for many years, just not the last 3. I also loved last years College Baseball game (not this years). And, I have enjoyed most of the College Football games and a version or 2 of NBA Live.

What is happening here is that it is impossible to talk about APF without a comparitive product. The natural products for comparison will be NCAA08 and Madden. You can't get around that.

On the other hand, when you talk about NCAA08 or Madden you can simply compare it to previous versions of themselves. You may, but don't have to, compare it to APF.

Now, as for bringing up other games in one particular forum? How could anyone object to that. We are all more alike than we think. Don't we all want to derive the most fun out of the dollars we spend? True, different things are more appealing to different gamers, but surely we can ALL agree we just want the best getaway our money can buy.

That being said, we should always talk about games in comparison to each other. That helps some actually make buying decisions. That helps companies get a pulse on what the consumer wants as well.

No harm has to come from comparing and contrasting games. It's the HANDFUL of jerks who take personal offense (as if they made the game itself) when games are compared who prompt us to fear comparing games.

Well, there are too many mature, reasonable, smart, and thoughtful people on these boards to let the handful prevent us from having healthy discussion.

A person does not have to bash EA or 2K or Konami or any game maker. They only need to discuss gameplay elements and why they do or don't prefer them.

That would be most helpful and avoid these childish: "My game is better than your game" mentality.

We're supposed to all be on the same side as consumers.

Last edited by slthree; 07-26-2007 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:18 AM   #35
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree

But, this is not a matter of bashing EA. Let's face it, every single one of us has played the heck out of an EA game or two. I personally loved Madden for many years, just not the last 3. I also loved last years College Baseball game (not this years). And, I have enjoyed most of the College Football games and a version or 2 of NBA Live.

What is happening here is that it is impossible to talk about APF without a comparitive product. The natural products for comparison will be NCAA08 and Madden. You can't get around that.

On the other hand, when you talk about NCAA08 or Madden you can simply compare it to previous versions of themselves. You may, but don't have to, compare it to APF.

Now, as for bringing up other games in one particular forum? How could anyone object to that. We are all more alike than we think. Don't we all want to derive the most fun out of the dollars we spend? True, different things are more appealing to different gamers, but surely we can ALL agree we just want the best getaway our money can buy.

That being said, we should always talk about games in comparison to each other. That helps some actually make buying decisions. That helps companies get a pulse on what the consumer wants as well.

No harm has to come from comparing and contrasting games. It's the HANDFUL of jerks who take personal offense (as if they made the game itself) when games are compared who prompt us to fear comparing games.

Well, there are too many mature, reasonable, smart, and thoughtful people on these boards to let the handful prevent us from having healthy discussion.

A person does not have to bash EA or 2K or Konami or any game maker. They only need to discuss gameplay elements and why they do or don't prefer them.

That would be most helpful and avoid these childish: "My game is better than your game" mentality.

Great post. EA sucks. Just kidding.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #36
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree

I completely understand what you are saying and I wish everyone had the mindset that you have.

But you've been on OS since '03. Me, I've been on OS since '02 (despite what it says in my profile). As you know, all it takes is for a couple of posters to go "fanboy" and the thread is tainted. There are too many people that take on a game so personally, it's scary. I don't understand it and I'm sure you don't, either. So being on OS this long, and me personally being buddies with some of the mods over the years, a thread like this automatically sends up a red flag.

Unfortunate? You bet. I wish it wasn't that way and it sucks.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #37
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
I completely understand what you are saying and I wish everyone had the mindset that you have.

But you've been on OS since '03. Me, I've been on OS since '02 (despite what it says in my profile). As you know, all it takes is for a couple of posters to go "fanboy" and the thread is tainted. There are too many people that take on a game so personally, it's scary. I don't understand it and I'm sure you don't, either. So being on OS this long, and me personally being buddies with some of the mods over the years, a thread like this automatically sends up a red flag.

i agree with you.

The title of the thread is provocative and does appear to invite EA defenders. But, the thread itself is good because it allows for both EA and 2K to "hear" from us. That's a free focus group for them.

I'll tell you what I'd love to see: a thread started by, stickied by, and closely monitored, by a moderator which has nothing but direct comparisons/contrasts of the 2 games as it relates to the various elements.

Maybe they could even subdivide the thread into various categories so we could really discuss the differences.

Any inflammatory remarks could be stricken immediately since it would be closely monitored. I'm sure there are many of us who would help monitor it if the mods are too busy.

This one thread of comparison would keep us from having to bounce all over the place as we do know.

Just about everyone wants to know how the blocking compares, how the DB's play, how weight affects the tackling system, how many yards can you back up before a throw is inneffective, how are punt returns handled, and a myriad of other things.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:18 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K

What makes a poster a fanboy ? Because you dont agree with what the poster says ? Also why do people have to conform to your "mindset" ? On one hand people like you will say people should be able to talk about the game without bringing up the other, but be the same ones who scream "fanboy" whenever someone says more than 5 positive things about whatever you dont agree with. We should be able to say what we are thinking. You can critique what is said. Why do people have to post the way YOU think they should post ?

There are people posting here who have nothing but negative things to say about the game, but I dont see you or the mods singling them out and asking them why and calling them fanboys. When people respond to them, then thats when the mods jump in and attack the response as "fanboyism" LOL

If its a issue they agree on though they let it go.(and not all the mods are like that)

With these games people like what they like and hate what they hate. We make comparisons as points of reference. If it stings your soul to hear a negative thing about a game you like, dont read the forums.

PS AP2K8 is the best playing football game ever made. You dont have to agree.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:26 AM   #39
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2K
You mean stuff like this?

I see you are still a funny guy. Obviously you are not comprehending what I am saying. I was responding to a poster who said he keeps it real. Context and comprehension, learn them, boss.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #40
Banned

OVR: 32

I played my NCAA 2008 last night. I need to spend more time with the game but it is one thing that gets on my nerve. The lack of a pocket and 3-5 step drops in the game. Besides that this is a good game and a nice change a pace for me.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »