Home

Bad luck or pure cheese?

This is a discussion on Bad luck or pure cheese? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2007, 03:10 AM   #17
All Star

OVR: 24
Re: Bad luck or pure cheese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneRaizer
This... this is unexplainable. Here's the situation:

I tried building up a team with a crushing defence and it shouldn't have had many problems. I used...

Gold - Derrick Thomas, Night Train Lane
Silver - Jack Tatum, Joey Browner, Jerome Brown
Bronze - Leon Lett, John Anderson

A friend challenges me to a game, so I'm like okay no problem. He has a powerful offense with Barry Sanders, Andre Reed, Jerry Rice and Randall Cunningham, but with my D I thought it should have been at least a close game.

It wasn't.

He beat me.... I think 37-13. All game he was scrambling with Randall and bombing it deep, right into my secondary of stars - and winning every battle. One time he even threw it to Rice who was double covered by Night Train AND Tatum, and Rice still caught the ball!

He was also tossing screens to Barry on Night Train's side of the field and Thomas playing man-to-man and he had no problems getting by them. None. He didn't have much success running up the middle except when he was scrambling with Cunningham and was able to gain double digit runs up the middle on two occasions.

Adding insult to injury, I didn't get a single sack all game and his offensive line was all generics.

So what's the deal? Was I simply outplayed, was I cheesed? I don't know, this is purely unexplainable. I wasn't expecting to totally crush him, but with that D against that offense it should have been at least a close game.
I think alot of this was a bad matchup for you. Although with the squad you used- I would have put Anderson on Barry. Anderson is a good coverage LB and if i had Thomas i would be using him to Blitz the QB on 2-3 downs. I would have done man to man with Lane on Rice but the rest would have to be zone without a second CB and poor coverage safety.

I also think having two saftey like tatum and browner is a waste. Dump one for a good Cover CB or Cover S or even MLB. I would suggest Hayes, Butler or Carson. You could even blitz Butler from time to time.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:17 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
This... this is unexplainable. Here's the situation:

I tried building up a team with a crushing defence and it shouldn't have had many problems. I used...

Gold - Derrick Thomas, Night Train Lane
Silver - Jack Tatum, Joey Browner, Jerome Brown
Bronze - Leon Lett, John Anderson

A friend challenges me to a game, so I'm like okay no problem. He has a powerful offense with Barry Sanders, Andre Reed, Jerry Rice and Randall Cunningham, but with my D I thought it should have been at least a close game.

It wasn't.

He beat me.... I think 37-13. All game he was scrambling with Randall and bombing it deep, right into my secondary of stars - and winning every battle. One time he even threw it to Rice who was double covered by Night Train AND Tatum, and Rice still caught the ball!

He was also tossing screens to Barry on Night Train's side of the field and Thomas playing man-to-man and he had no problems getting by them. None. He didn't have much success running up the middle except when he was scrambling with Cunningham and was able to gain double digit runs up the middle on two occasions.

Adding insult to injury, I didn't get a single sack all game and his offensive line was all generics.

So what's the deal? Was I simply outplayed, was I cheesed? I don't know, this is purely unexplainable. I wasn't expecting to totally crush him, but with that D against that offense it should have been at least a close game.
Having good players doesnt mean anything if you dont utilize them correctly. You also need good playcalling. It looks like he just beat you by playcalling a better game.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #19
We Go Again

VTPack919's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTigLSU
Run Zone on defense. Mix up some audibled blitzes at the line of scrimmage and you will be successful versus run and pass.

Gold
Tom Dempsey K
Willie Roaf LT

Silver
Archie Manning* QB
Rickey Jackson OLB
Pat Swilling OLB

Bronze
Dalton Hillard* RB
Eric Martin* WR
Craid IronHead Heyward FB
Sam Mills MLB
Sammy Knight SS
Wesley Walls TE

Defensive Line is set for run defense
Secondary is set for Pass Coverage

I dont have trouble stopping the run or the pass
I take it you created TONS of people?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #20
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPack919
I take it you created TONS of people?
To have a Saints All time team I had to. The fact that the Dome Patrol was entirely left out is unacceptable to me so I created them. I think I made everyone reasonably accurate.

Willie Roaf is considered one of the best Left Tackles ever. Tom Dempsey has held or been tied for the logest FG for almost 38 years. So they are my gold.

While I believe Sam Mills should be a silver Archie Manning had to be my starting QB so I bumped him down to bronze. I dont think anyone would complain going against a gold Kicker and Left Tackle.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:06 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Dozier
Yeah, don't bother building a good defense for online. In my experiences, it doesn't matter AT ALL. No matter who you have on defense, it doesn't matter. Offense is the only thing that matters online.

I'm really sick and frustrated of getting torched like nothing with my **** Butkus, Rod Woodsons, Reggie Whites contributing absolutely nothing to help shut down an offense.

It's not worth it. If you wanna win, you need offense. I'm sadly realizing this more and more as I play online. Defense doesn't mean anything in this game.
I totally disagree with this statement. My team plays very stingy D. I have played about 4-5 games online so far on Legend level against some serious ranked 2K vets. I'm talking about guys who have played the 2K series since it's inception religiously. On top of that they were using created teams. One recreated the current Eagles while the other created the Giants including LT.

My squad is

Gold: John Elway; Mike Singletary

Silver: Lem Barney; Andre Reed; Todd Christensen

Bronze: Barry Foster; Jim Marshall; William Perry; Leon Lett; Clyde Simmons; Charlie Waters

Online my D-line in five games has about 22-25 sacks. I'm only giving up about maybe 180 thru the air and that's on a bad day playing 10 minute quarters.

My run D has been failing me in the 4th but that's because my D is on the field so much when my O struggles. I have given up big plays at crucial times but that is more me making some bad play calls than anything else.

Point is you can play D; but your O has to play ball control.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

After settling down I admit that ya I did catch a bad matchup. I made a team full of stars and half expected to just sit back and let them do all the work. I guess I got a major reality check that the most stacked team in the world can't do much when you play them like crap.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #23
H*p H*p 4 H*rs*m*n

BigTigLSU's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
After settling down I admit that ya I did catch a bad matchup. I made a team full of stars and half expected to just sit back and let them do all the work. I guess I got a major reality check that the most stacked team in the world can't do much when you play them like crap.

Knowing is half the battle
Old 07-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #24
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

OVR: 5

Bad luck or cheese? A little cheese and a little bad coaching on your part. I tried to create an all defense team, but I game up MORE points than when I had a balanced team. A couple reasons. The best offense is a good defense. First, he has legends on his team. They are going to make some plays and score some points. You need to be able to score also. What happens if you play someone with Biletnikoff, Rice, Ben Coates, Randall Cunningham, and a Silver HB. That team is going to score points against any D. Second, the best way to make sure his offense isn't scoring is by making sure it isn't on the field. A balanced team is best. I would say you should never have more than 7 defensive players in order (ironically) to have the best defense. Finally good D has as much to do with play calling as with the players, just like in real life. having talent is important, but you have to make good calls too. I have played lots of people who like to scramble with Cunningham/bomb it deep every play. It is not impossible to stop.

www.2kfootballstrategy.com

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »