Home

The formula to build a well-balanced team for online play

This is a discussion on The formula to build a well-balanced team for online play within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #1
Pro

dragon4ever's Arena

OVR: 9
The formula to build a well-balanced team for online play

Gold Star: Quarterback, Running Back

Silver Star: Wide Receiver, Offensive Tackle, Defensive Tackle

Bronze: Wide Receiver, Offensive Guard, Defensive End, Middle Linebacker, Outside Linebacker, Cornerback

I know it's geared more towards the offensive side, but when you play online against potential cheesers, you've got have yourself a powerful offense. Plus, if you pick the right defensive players, your defense shouldn't be too shabby either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 8
Re: The formula to build a well-balanced team for online play

There really is no one formula. Endless possibilities, really. I personally think a TE is pretty crucial, gives you blocking and receiving in one player.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
MVP

xylocaine's Arena

OVR: 12

The beauty of this game is there is no formula, and I don't have to play the same 5 good NFL teams every game online.

I've always said for Madden online to be cool they should handicap the games like give them vegas odds if you want to pick ranked match.

That would be so much better. Like it is now only 10 or fewer teams are ever used online and honestly why should they.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I certainly think your formula is a good one, dragon4ever; I've gone the offense-heavy route and had some success, and some firepower definitely helps against the cheese-puffs.

One of the things I like most about the game, though, is how many different ways you can put together a winning squad. I've seen some surprising ones. This guy who had a faux-lions-looking team paired Joe Perry at Fullback and Early Campbell at halfback, and chose at least three legend lineman to pave the way. Did I know the run was coming, h*** yeah, but it was tough to stop, especially since you usually have to gamble and assign one or two defensive players to Campbell and slant your line to boot. I did all of the above on a crucial third and short, and who got the ball? Perry. My line and backers were out of position, and since he's fast for his position, he took it like 60 yards to the house and beat me.

All that is to say that I would never have thought to build the team like he did, but I wouldn't be surprised if that guy wins a few more with his unorthodox offense and the unforseen choices it forces you to make.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

I think my team is pretty balanced

Gold star

QB-Marino
RB-Smith

Silver

WR-Drew Pearson
DE-Too Tall
TE-Novecek

Bronze

ILB-Norton
DT-Perry
SS-Waters
CB-Lewis
CB-Mcdaniel
WR-Harper

5 offense-2 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze
6 defense-1 silver, 5 bronze

It works for me...

Last edited by Walker8; 07-29-2007 at 02:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2007, 01:13 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2

I haven't lost a league game yet with this team 11-0 in sim leagues, 13-1 in lobby games. I have lost 3 other lobby games, but not with this team.

Gold

QB Marino
TE Sharp

Silver

CB Barney
MLB Tuggle
FS Tatum

Bronze

CB McDaniel
SS Waters
WR Moore
WR Harper
DE Manely
HB Okoye

Generics

DL Run Coverage
OL Run Block
CB Pass Coverage
LB Run Coverage
QB Pocket Passer
WR Possession
Safeties Balanced

With this team the defense is pretty dominant. When you have DL and LB generics set for run coverage they do a pretty good job. Then Tuggle, Waters, and Tatum do a great job also stopping the run. Having a all legend secondary is a must, Barney and McDaniel are excellent cover guys and with Tatum big hits/ball hawk and Waters Ball Hawk, they can dominate the passing game. Then I rely on Manley and generics to provide a pass rush which at least Manley does quite well. (probably average 3 sacks a game with the generics usually getting 1 or 2). That is mostly because the secondary does a great job which makes the QB hold the ball longer for for WR's to get open.

On offense having the OL generics be run blocking is a huge boost to the run game ( I mean huge). I have Marino and his quick release to help with the sub par pass blocking and I almost always hot route my FB and Okoye to pass block. Sacks are never a problem. Having two legend WR's is a must with this team because it usually means the other team can't put a CB on Sharpe (not many teams will have 3 CB's or leave a legend WR for a generic to cover). Sharpe will dominant LB's trying to cover him, and since he is a route God he busts up zones pretty good. Plus Moore and Harper are excellent WR's. The greatest part is that You can run your entire offense out of the 2 WR 1 TE set (because you don't want sharp off the field) so the Defense can't guess run/pass out of your formations. If your running 2 WR 1 TE 2 RB all game, they have no idea if run/pass is coming. That is a huge advantage at least IMO.

If your looking for offensive/Defensive Balance I'd say this team is about as balanced as it get's with a slight emphasis on Defense.

Last edited by Shamrock; 07-29-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

The team I use and it seems to be working pretty well

Gold:
Dan Marino
Larry Little

Silver:
**** Anderson
Irving Fryar
Nick Buoniconti

Bronze:
Dexter Manley
Dave Meggett
Eugene Robinson
Alvin Harper
Terry McDaniel
Clyde Simmons

Also does anyone know how the Leadership ability works? For example Nick Buoniconti has it but does it only apply to the LBs on my team or my whole D? and on the O Larry Little (who by the way is a beast on the line) has the Leadership ability but does it apply to just the OL or the whole O?

Last edited by x south x; 07-29-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
YGB
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker8
I think my team is pretty balanced

Gold star

QB-Marino
RB-Smith

Silver