Home

Tips on Running

This is a discussion on Tips on Running within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Tips on Running

Don't be predicatble first and foremost, doesn't matter who you have as your RB if the D knows when you are going to run. If they are stacked the middle audible to an outside slant passing play, outside toss, or chuck it deep to one of your receivers.

Basically, audibles are your best friend in this game. Don't be afraid to use them when the current play you have called more than likely isn't going to work. When the D doesn't know if you are going to run or pass is when you are most dangerous especially online.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 4

i personally think that you should use a power back and learn to run inside first. the reads are easier than counters and stuff. when you snap the ball, keep holding down a to charge your rb. dont cut outside as soon as you get the ball, unless thats what the play calls for. practice mode should be your best friend. when you pick a play in practice mode, look at the play art at the LOS. see whos supposed to block whom, and where the d's stars are. you could try to spread out the defense with multiple reciever sets. the formations you shose are VERY important. for example if your picking a stretch play to the right, you might want to pick a twins formation, lining up your two recievers on the other side. if the d is in man, it will clear the cb from your running side. if the d is in zone, motion your reciever back over to your running side. putting people in motion is very effective against people who like to adjust their defense alot. many people will shift their 'backers to whatever side your te is on. some people with even shift then manually move more defenders to your te's side. try the aces formation "pair slot" that puts both te's on the same side of the LOS. often people will assume your gonna run to that side. pick that formation, and then a counter or stretch to the weak (non) te side. if the d shifts to the te side, run weakside. if the d doesnt shift , audible your run to the strong side. there are a ton of things that effect your running games success. i hope this helps a little. but practice mode is the best way. if youre not sure when you should run on a given play, snap the ball and let the cpu rb go through the play (practice mode).
if youre on 360 send me a friend request and we can get some practice games in. GT is Roguefire Alpha

Last edited by bigdunks4eva; 08-05-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:47 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Thanks, bigdunks. The formation info is especially helpful--I don't do enough with scheming by formation and utilizing motion to create matchups, though I definitely need to start. And I agree that practice mode is the way to go. Every time I go in there I spend tons of time perfecting plays, but then I get impatient and tend to want to learn on the fly in an online game. My record has suffered accordingly, lol.

I'd hit you up for a game, but I'm on PS3--come over to the dark side!
Old 08-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0
Icon10 Re: Tips on Running

Well mainly if you need help running, i seem to be pretty good among all of my friends. Mainly what I do is run up the middle, (I have Cambell) and I would just plow though as many people as possible before being tackled.
With Walter Payton I would try to mix it up with running it upi the middle, then the occasional pitch to the outside. If I had your team, I would actually trade Lott for a QB, and then pick up Tatum as a silver safety. So try to use Paytons strength because with the right blocking,you can score everytime.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:03 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Hey folks. I'm currently sucking it up online because of a severe inability to run the football. I try to call different formations and different run types, but I just can't get anything consistent going, especially versus a 46, which tons of people seem to run online.

Tombsong has posted some very helpful tips on the passing game, and I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to share their wisdom on the running game.

FYI, my latest team breakdown was as follows (and once you see it, you'll see why it's so frustrating that I can't run!)

G-Lott
G-Payton
S-St. Clair
S-Bethea
S-Maynard
B-Manley
B-Studwell
B-Curry
B-O'Donnel
B-Waters
B-Guy

I even had my generic o-linemen set to "run block." Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I love the 46. Now one way real coaches attempt to attack it is to run to the weak side. They have coined a phrase. We will "Sweep until they weep!" If you want to attack the 46, hit it on the weak side.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIDEO ASSASSIN
Well mainly if you need help running, i seem to be pretty good among all of my friends. Mainly what I do is run up the middle, (I have Cambell) and I would just plow though as many people as possible before being tackled.
With Walter Payton I would try to mix it up with running it upi the middle, then the occasional pitch to the outside. If I had your team, I would actually trade Lott for a QB, and then pick up Tatum as a silver safety. So try to use Paytons strength because with the right blocking,you can score everytime.

Yeah, I knew something was wrong with my approach when I couldn't get things going with the best back in the game. I think these tips have been pretty helpful, though, so I'm looking forward to rejuvinating my offense a bit.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #31
I'm in here...

OVR: 7

I have a tip for running....let the cpu do it for you.

I had picked a play, got distracted by my daughter and next thing I know the RB was juking and finding holes for himself. Tried it again on purpose, picked a play to run up the gut and sure enuff, its works.

This was on All-Pro level.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I love the 46. Now one way real coaches attempt to attack it is to run to the weak side. They have coined a phrase. We will "Sweep until they weep!" If you want to attack the 46, hit it on the weak side.
Great tip. I'll have to incorporate some outside stuff into my audible package for the 46 users. To be honest, I think some of the problem stems from the intimidation of seeing so many players in the box and the consequent rushing through the play rather than letting it develop according to plan. Great strategy, so much appreciated.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »