Home

Why Such Low Reviews?

This is a discussion on Why Such Low Reviews? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Why Such Low Reviews?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Kenny
Because they are big companies who are getting paid to advertise certain competitors games. They dont really want to "hurt" the others feelings and lose business.
I would agree with that, to a degree anyway. I imagine a site that doesn't give positive reviews could be frozen out or black-listed by at least one of the big companies

Definitely don't think it has anything to do with 'exhibiting dominance', though - if that one poster was in fact actually serious, which I'm unclear about. After playing the game, the various comments I've read online all seem pretty spot on, regardless of the score they ended up giving the game. Honest, level-headed reviews for the most part, IMO.

Last edited by baa7; 08-02-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #26
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
I would agree with that, to a degree anyway. I imagine a site that doesn't give positive reviews could be frozen out or black-listed by at least one of the big companies

Definitely don't think it has anything to do with 'exhibiting dominance', though - if that one poster was in fact actually serious, which I'm unclear about. After playing the game, the various comments I've read online all seem pretty spot on, regardless of the score they ended up giving the game. Honest, level-headed reviews for the most part, IMO.
The weird thing is, not one review really knocked the game on its gameplay. To me, the score should be weighted with more weight towards gameplay. I mean, if a football game stinks on the field, who really cares how many modes, mini-games etc... it has.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #27
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
The weird thing is, not one review really knocked the game on its gameplay. To me, the score should be weighted with more weight towards gameplay. I mean, if a football game stinks on the field, who really cares how many modes, mini-games etc... it has.
I agree, the reviews for the most part praised the game play.

But let's face it: console gaming, unlike PC gaming in the past, is geared more and more towards the frivolous and the flashy. Most of the reviews I've read seem to have been written by young people in their teens or early twenties - those who grew up on console gaming, in other words. The question the OP asked isn’t really all that relevant IMO if one takes all that into consideration. Of course these same reviewers are going to dock a game for having inferior graphics, or not enough modes and mini-games.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:53 AM   #28
MVP

plasticbeast's Arena

OVR: 11

Isn't gameplay why you buy a game? If it is not fun to play then whats the point?

OSFL
: Lake County Extreme- 2010 OSFL Champs
NCFA: WVU Mountaineers- As long as we beat Pitt...
BLB: Morgantown Mowhawks- Expansion Team
Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 AM   #29
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbeast
Isn't gameplay why you buy a game? If it is not fun to play then whats the point?
If that were the case, I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed FIFA 07 and NHL 07 - two games lacking in 'game play'. But both are amazingly fun, go figure.

So maybe we have to come up with new definitions with regards to what 'game play' and 'fun' actually mean, and how important each really is
Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 AM   #30
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

I think it has very little to do with advertising/Madden. A review in the gaming world is about whether or not a consumer should purchase a game. The average consumer might find the lack of franchise take away from the $60 value. The average consumer might not find a good league to play in or want to play online at all. I think that takes away from the score.

I would like to see more scoring done like the new Gamespot system. Using icons/categories it can help give a multi-level review. So, a game like APF could get some kind of Limited Single Player label along with Great Online and Fan of the Gnere award. I think it would be great if we can get rid of the score in reviews. Too many people pay attention to the score and not the review.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:31 AM   #31
MVP

OVR: 21

Why do people buy football games ? To play football or to manage a football team ?

If you want to manage a football team in the front office then AP2K8 is not the game for you.

If you want to manage a football team on the field then THIS game is THE best game EVER at doing that.

There are some who like marveling at the stats, who they gonna cut, who they gonna sign, comparing their stats against a computer generated list of stats. Then rinsing and repeating at the end of the seasons. Brings them great joy when all the "numbers come out right" at seasons end.

There are some of us who like taking a power back and ramming the ball down our opponents throat, taking a finesse back to break ankles and make moves that would raise Walter Peyton from the dead(football resurrected..they aint lieing). Taking a scrambling QB and rolling out the pocket to hit a streaking Possesion WR coming acorss the field, or sitting in a beautifully created pocket and tossing a bomb to a deep threat WR who just so happens to make outstanding acrobatic catches.

Or maybe they like having impact players that actually MAKE their pressence felt on the field. Then having to develope strategies to stop opposing players impact players and watching it all unfold in a beautifully animated active and alive atmosphere.

I can understand the number watchers wanting numbers to watch, and yall can complain till the end of time about this game not giving you that, but one thing you cannot do is tear this game down and make it out to be nothing or less than steller in reference to anything else, because what this game was made for, what it was INTENEDED to do it does VERY WELL. Its the GOAT of football on the field and NO ONE can dispute that as of 8/2/2007

So let the haters hate and hope Madden or whoever else makes a football game gives them what they want. Cause VC DELIVERED on what I thought we bought a football game for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #32
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

Reviews are opinions.

If you like the game, who cares what IGN or Gamespot said about it? I don't understand why everyone, especially in the APF forum, get so fired up if their game gets a bad rating. Like the game, play the game. Be happy.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »