Home

Is APF the thinking man's football game?

This is a discussion on Is APF the thinking man's football game? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #25
Living in this tube

Skerik's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Is APF the thinking man's football game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoNVA
My opinion is that 2K does it better than any football game that is currently on the market - Making you strategize and play intelligently.

Other games for the most part any casual gamer can pick up the game and without too much football knowledge .. and just stick to doing what the game allows as far as exploits and be successful.
You mean like throwing corner routes against any defender in APF?

Additionally, APF doesn't punish you for doing stupid things and making bad matchup reads because the hands of the defenders are so bad. I use Ditka and I can basically force the ball to him with impunity and watch as the ball bounces off his hands and the hands of five defenders before it hits the ground. Even if he's doubled off the line, I'm still not punished for throwing at him because the ball is almost never intercepted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
I am not trying to bait you... I was just curious to your game plan/legends choosen.
I don't have any plan really. I wanted a current team - but I don't know NFL players well at all - so I made Ward, Manning, and Tomlinson and then picked a bunch of random pre-made legends until I could find (from my post in the roster section) other players to make accurately. I couldn't name any other player on my team but those three.

Honestly - there's not much to the game as far as I'm concerned. I pick a running play, and I stay behind my blockers and get some yards. When I pass - if the defender is ahead of the player, I pass behind my player so he stops and grabs the ball... If the defender is behind him, I lead my receiver a little in front of him. All I do is pass the ball to where the defender isn't - and it seems the defender can never ever adjust properly to the ball. They either stop and turn around and fly back past the player, leaving me wide open to run up the field - or they make a terrible attempt to block the pass (even though they've got no chance), or they do the right thing, and stop and make the tackle after the catch. That's usually if it's man-to-man, though. If it's zone coverage, I just wait until my receiver hits the spot where neither defender is covering him and hit him with the ball.

I don't think much about the plays I pick, because it doesn't matter. I average something like 85% passing, and I've never run for less than 150 yards.

I don't play online, though - and that's an entirely different game.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #27
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
I don't have any plan really. I wanted a current team - but I don't know NFL players well at all - so I made Ward, Manning, and Tomlinson and then picked a bunch of random pre-made legends until I could find (from my post in the roster section) other players to make accurately. I couldn't name any other player on my team but those three.

Honestly - there's not much to the game as far as I'm concerned. I pick a running play, and I stay behind my blockers and get some yards. When I pass - if the defender is ahead of the player, I pass behind my player so he stops and grabs the ball... If the defender is behind him, I lead my receiver a little in front of him. All I do is pass the ball to where the defender isn't - and it seems the defender can never ever adjust properly to the ball. They either stop and turn around and fly back past the player, leaving me wide open to run up the field - or they make a terrible attempt to block the pass (even though they've got no chance), or they do the right thing, and stop and make the tackle after the catch.

I don't think much about the plays I pick, because it doesn't matter. I average something like 85% passing, and I've never run for less than 150 yards.

I don't play online, though - and that's an entirely different game.
Seems like you have the CPU whipped. Maybe online is your only hope for a challenge. Good Luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #28
MVP

BaselineBakes's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Seems like you have the CPU whipped. Maybe online is your only hope for a challenge. Good Luck!

Seems like he has a pretty good grasp..i just got around to beating all-pro on an all to consistent basis, last couple of games i've bumped it up to legend, pretty challenging so far
Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerik
You mean like throwing corner routes against any defender in APF?

Additionally, APF doesn't punish you for doing stupid things and making bad matchup reads because the hands of the defenders are so bad. I use Ditka and I can basically force the ball to him with impunity and watch as the ball bounces off his hands and the hands of five defenders before it hits the ground. Even if he's doubled off the line, I'm still not punished for throwing at him because the ball is almost never intercepted.
I don't know.. I don't play too much offline.

I play online against friends and some random games... I have some success at least containing Gold Receiver/Tightends. It's not always a given if you have the Rice and Ditka's of the world.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #30
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hioh631
Amen brother! I find myself actually scanning the defense calling audibles and putting men in motion to exploit weaknesses and I never did that in a football game before. I'd simply call X play and run it. There is nothing better than getting a wide open TD pass because you Peyton Manning'd someone and they didn't make the adjustments. Love it!
Am I missing something, because I do the same in every other football game I play.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:49 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjonesfan921
Am I missing something, because I do the same in every other football game I play.

I know. I think the underlying tone of this thread is a subtle, passive-aggressive, self-righteous, "Anyone that plays this game must be smarter than anyone who plays the other football games."

Yes, people that buy and play this game are true geniuses and incredible thinking men.

Is that the response I'm supposed to give here?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #32
P2K
Banned

OVR: 34

Seems to me...if you buy APF, you automatically become a MENSA member.

Looking in this thread and the others in the APF forum, it's getting mighty scary in here.

You want to know what else...something that will send chills down your spine?

Madden ain't even out yet.

Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »