Home

Share your ways to Promote APF

This is a discussion on Share your ways to Promote APF within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2007, 11:43 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Share your ways to Promote APF

It's really too late to come up with marketing ideas now. The damage is done.

It was funny to hear people jump all over those who were pointing out the obviously boneheaded (sales-killing) mistakes 2K was making. I got burned at the stake a few times myself over it. The persecutors have retreated now, however (lol).

When I told a buddy of mine that you couldn't play your created teams against each other he said "What???! That's like one of the main things you'd expect, lol. That's stupid. I'm not even renting this game." and this guy is a 2K fanatic. I didn't even need to tell him about all of the other ridiculous restrictions the game has.

This title wasn't going to sell big anyway, we all knew that, but the point I made from the beginning is that this game will be hard to move period if it's too restricted, the graphics aren't better, and is priced at $60. Combine that with the atrocious marketing/promotion and that's a recipe for disaster. Sure, I loved the TV commercials and the internet versions--most of us did--but the whole campaign came in late. I realize they've followed similar formula's for other games, but any first year marketing student will tell you that the formula that worked for one product won't necessarily work for all of them and I think we're seeing the results of that in motion.

... and is it just me or is it obvious that 2K knows the game looks best in rain and snow, and crappy in non-weather since 99% of the promotional footage they've shown the public has been rain or snow games? If so, I agree. That's a shame. Where are the lighting effects they were showing off in 2K5 during afternoon and day games? It was amazing. I'd rather have that back than interactive sidelines or outrageous stadium designs...

A 2K9 or 2K10? Well... at the beginning I said that much of what 2K is doing is similar to the crash and burn Tecmo did with the release of the final and dreadful Tecmo Super Bowl on PS1. Boy, I'll be damned if that isn't playing out right in front of our eyes. If that blueprint holds true we won't be seeing another 2K Football game for about 15 years, lol. In all seriousness though, I can't see a 2K9 or 2K10 being a possibility. Right now, unless sales get stronger (and how could they now), it looks like this will be it.

Last edited by QB16; 08-03-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre4vr
Take a look at the main page of OS...There is an link to an article stating that they are not as pleased. Also, from all of the previews, Aaron asked about 2K9. They said it would be a biannual title if it sold decently...So, 2K10 should be the next installment if they stay to that thinking.
Ok I read the article. There not pleased but not disappointed. Double talk to me so I don't know what that's supposed to mean. I do know that if they want to maximize sales they should have released the game earlier. And if they think they can advertise next to Madden to increase sales then they have officially lost their minds. ANY and all extra dollars at this point is a complete waste if used for advertisement.

The ONLY way they can even get any attention is have a chick skydive into Yankee stadium buck naked holding a "BUY APF 2K8" sign.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

I like to add another strategy 2K/take 2 need to do is SELL THE GAME IN EUROPE! That'd boost some sales damn it.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB16
In all seriousness though, I can't see a 2K9 or 2K10 being a possibility. Right now, unless sales get stronger (and how could they now), it looks like this will be it.
Some very good points in that post. Hopefully, the minds at 2K will evaluate everything that went down with APF 2K8, realize they released the wrong product at the wrong time, and correct it for 2K9 or 10. They need to expand the modes and customization, and release the game at least a month before NCAA comes out.

Last edited by baa7; 08-04-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #29
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB16

Where are the lighting effects they were showing off in 2K5 during afternoon and day games? It was amazing. I'd rather have that back than interactive sidelines or outrageous stadium designs...
Yeah whatever happened to where the clouds would roll by overhead during day games in 2k5. I used to love that.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #30
fishstick

OVR:

Personally I don't see how they can be disappointed with sales. The game is pretty bare bones and until you put in more than a few minutes of gameplay, pretty unspectacular.

The gameplay is great but the problem is the package is not. Some nice ideas but nothing seems fleshed out as well as it could or should have been. Madden has a stadium builder...yet APF, a game about customization, gives you 5 generic themed stadiums. Yeah, the themed ones are great but far to specifically themed. Great if you happen to use the one or two teams that fits that theme, otherwise who wants to play as the Hawks in the Beast statium?

Look at Maddens interface. It has a lot of short coming but not half as many as APF and boy does Madden sure look slick. The first thing everyone sees when they come into APF is the totally generic looking team creation screen with a bad zoom for viewing legends/player models.

Then you go to the game and yeah, up close the modesl looks great and yeah the animations are insane but the first thing everyone sees is the freaking grass. The last gen grass texture is everyplace so nobody sees what is nice about the graphics, just what is bad.

So for me the problem isn't from a marketing standpoint because the problem is you can get the game into people's hands and I am sure a ton of people know about it and wanted to try it. The problem is the game does nothing to embrace the player from the onset. It is like a girl with a great personality and good looks but who always wears her hair down, no makup and sweats pants. First impressions are a lot when it comes to selling a game and frankly this is where 2K fails misserably - not when it comes to marketing.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 8

all these videos of the game look great... have a contest (with prizes) for the best 1 minute homemade vid - get a gaming site/TV station to sponsor it... great 'free' publicity.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #32
Collab: xcellnoah@gmail

X*Cell's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspeaks
all these videos of the game look great... have a contest (with prizes) for the best 1 minute homemade vid - get a gaming site/TV station to sponsor it... great 'free' publicity.
we all know who'll win that one...

*cough* *cough* momentousceltic *cough*

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »