Home

Pressure

This is a discussion on Pressure within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2007, 10:49 AM   #9
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepychicken
I've gotten pretty good at this game. I can run an effective offense with all bronze players, I can cover the pass and run pretty well at the same time and can shut down an offense that only does one or the other. I have yet to be able to rush the passer. I've tried several combos. Even went all out with it one time. I had Reggie White and Manley at the ends, Millard at DT, and Thomas at OLB. The only sack I got in that game was by a scrub DT and that was only because he held the ball for 6 or 7 seconds on some long routes. I've tried all manner of blitzes, shifts, and personnel combos. I've tired controlling the sack masters and letting the CPU do it.

I don't seem to get any more sacks when I build a D for it as opposed to just letting scrubs do it.

Any tips or hints would be appreciated.
I experiment with a lot of different blitzes and d-line actions in practice mode. The d-line actions involving a pair, three or all four d-linemen stunting like "Twist," "Twist Left/Right" or "Mix" are cool to use to confuse the o-linemen, but I wouldn't call on these too often. Whenever I call on a blitz I usually have d-linemen slanting like "Gap Left/Right" or "Razor Left/Right". But that's just what my preference is, and you may like a different combination after researching combinations on your own. The "Force Fire 0" blitz probably works better with d-linemen crashing in ("All In") though, since the linebackers in that blitz attack the line of scrimmage from outside the tackles. My line of thinking here is having the defensive ends crashing in helps the linebackers to take a shorter route around them to get to the quarterback. Anyway, it's all about making sense of the linebacker and safety blitz routes and finding ways to get d-linemen to move to areas which open up paths for them to get to the QB as quick as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance4g63
The only way to cause good pressure in this game is to use the defensive lineman. If you are controlling a backer or db pre-snap,you are out of luck.
I only control linebackers and I get good pressure when necessary. It's all in the timing of when to burst through the line of scrimmage when heading toward the quarterback. Start sprinting too early and you'll either get blocked by an o-lineman or take a wide path to the QB if you didn't get blocked, which makes you take a second or two longer to get him. And there's no need to go over what happens when you start sprinting too late.

If you're controlling a blitzing linebacker or safety (solid yellow line in play diagram), allow your d-linemen to engage with the o-linemen first. When a hole opens up make sure you approach it at normal speed. Then turn toward the QB, then once you're facing the QB you dart through the hole.

A safety or linebacker that is on a delayed blitz (dotted yellow line) are much of the same except that blitzer is supposed to wait a second before moving.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 08-05-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #10
Rookie

tpaterniti's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Pressure

Bear double OLB blitz and various blitzes in the Bear. The key is if he comes out in an I to also hot blitz the guy who is on the FB and maybe even the guy on the HB. Whatever the formation you ALWAYS blitz the guy on the FB until he demonstrates that he will consistently pass to the FB (which nobody does).

www.2kfootballstrategy.com
Old 08-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 4

so far zones work best for me. i know a very good player can shred a zone to pieces, but that hasnt really happened to me yet. im obsessed with sacks, so i usually have a stacked d-line. but if you dont have a stacked d-line, you have to manage your generics well. for example if your d-line generics are "run stoppers" then youre not gona get much rush out of them. i often pick up run stopping dt legends, and pick my generics as pass rushers. then i sub out one of my run stoppers in the nickel and dime formations. or sometimes i select a run stopping de and dt, and set my generics to pass rush, subbing out the runstoppers in nickel and dime. OR you could pick two balanced legends on your line, setting the other two as pass rushers. of course, it all depends on your team and your scheme. if you have a pass rushing de and dt, try putting them next to each other if they are not, and bitzing on the side as well. hope this makes any sense
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

I just got sacked to pieces in my last league game (6 to my 1 and maybe one was a semi coverage sack), which heavily contributed to my 7-14 loss. Sometimes I will get them but several factors are involved. I think the game is extremely realistic in it's sack frequency, based on matchups, blitzing scemes and pass protection schemes/personnel.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:41 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Extremely helpful post, Kruza. Practice mode really helps give you a sense of how to combine line assignments and blitzes, and it's a great place to get the timing of the rush down, which is one of the most important elements of the blitz imo. I think that's an element of this game that you absolutely have to learn to work with to be successful. Like Tombsong has said in his posts about running and passing, the plays have a designed timing to them that will help make them successful if you work with it and hurt you if you don't, defensive plays included. Mashing on the sprint button (which I did when I first made my team with Derrick Thomas) doesn't get you very far, but you'll find that rush lanes develop if you take a normal-speed approach to the play, letting the lineman engage as Kruza has said and hitting the gaps that are created in the process. That's easier said than done, as I usually hit the sprint button out of over-excitement when trying to reach the QB, but there is some strategy to rushing the passer, and it pays to be patient.

A long co-sign to Kruza, but there it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
I experiment with a lot of different blitzes and d-line actions in practice mode. The d-line actions involving a pair, three or all four d-linemen stunting like "Twist," "Twist Left/Right" or "Mix" are cool to use to confuse the o-linemen, but I wouldn't call on these too often. Whenever I call on a blitz I usually have d-linemen slanting like "Gap Left/Right" or "Razor Left/Right". But that's just what my preference is, and you may like a different combination after researching combinations on your own. The "Force Fire 0" blitz probably works better with d-linemen crashing in ("All In") though, since the linebackers in that blitz attack the line of scrimmage from outside the tackles. My line of thinking here is having the defensive ends crashing in helps the linebackers to take a shorter route around them to get to the quarterback. Anyway, it's all about making sense of the linebacker and safety blitz routes and finding ways to get d-linemen to move to areas which open up paths for them to get to the QB as quick as possible.

I only control linebackers and I get good pressure when necessary. It's all in the timing of when to burst through the line of scrimmage when heading toward the quarterback. Start sprinting too early and you'll either get blocked by an o-lineman or take a wide path to the QB if you didn't get blocked, which makes you take a second or two longer to get him. And there's no need to go over what happens when you start sprinting too late.

If you're controlling a blitzing linebacker or safety (solid yellow line in play diagram), allow your d-linemen to engage with the o-linemen first. When a hole opens up make sure you approach it at normal speed. Then turn toward the QB, then once you're facing the QB you dart through the hole.

A safety or linebacker that is on a delayed blitz (dotted yellow line) are much of the same except that blitzer is supposed to wait a second before moving.

Kruza
Old 08-07-2007, 01:33 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

I got 5 sacks with Gerome Brown(SILVER DT) (my only 5 of the game) and didn't manually control him once. He was in on Cunningham immediately-Randall didn't have time to scramble.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I got 5 sacks with Gerome Brown(SILVER DT) (my only 5 of the game) and didn't manually control him once. He was in on Cunningham immediately-Randall didn't have time to scramble.
Well to be honest, IMO Brown is the best DT in the game. Guy is a freak especially if you combine him with good DE's.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Well to be honest, IMO Brown is the best DT in the game. Guy is a freak especially if you combine him with good DE's.
Yeah, awesome pass rusher, stout against the run. Still hard to believe that he died at 27.

I might have to start practicing his charge up RIP move.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »