Home

All Pro Football 2K8 Review (360)

This is a discussion on All Pro Football 2K8 Review (360) within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: All Pro Football 2K8 Review (360)

Very good review. Agree with just about all of the comments in it. As an offline gamer however, I still find the game enjoyable.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #66
Banned

OVR: 32

Great review.

This is still the best playing football game I ever played. The only game in the league of APF is NCAA 2004.

Just remember the next time someone say " we only care about gameplay" they really means they want a broken franchise mode and corny mini-games.

I love the db ai because it is realistic. Not perfect but realistic. I live in practice mode and see the "poor db ai" and I run the same play again and see tips, hits, and ints. Yup, I see the diversity of db play the good, the bad and the ugly. You see more good db play with gold than bad but I have seen Lott misplay balls and miss tackles in real life. This coming from a person who play with generic run stopping dbs and bronze safeties and live by zone coverage.

Now compare this to NCAA 08 db ai and there you will see super db/lb ai that almost make the game unplayable against the cpu.

So, here to the hardcore football fans that understand the deepness in the game is in the team building and the largest play book I ever seen in a console game. I have a feeling we will be playing this game for a long time.

Peace
Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #67
Banned

OVR: 11

I can say that this thread IS TOTALLY not suprising to me....lol...

I think the review was very in depth and I think OS reviews continue to be the hands down best place on the net to read sports games reviews.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by arseniotall
I can say that this thread IS TOTALLY not suprising to me....lol...

I think the review was very in depth and I think OS reviews continue to be the hands down best place on the net to read sports games reviews.
Why aren't you surprise?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:52 PM   #69
Banned

OVR: 8

I'm not seeing any problems with blocking or the inside running game. Nor do my online games turn into "incomplete passes, punt, rinse, repeat." Not at all.

My only problem with the review is when he says that the game is missing so many things we have come to expect in football titles, mentioning quick games, franchise, DB AI......well, you can't have it both ways. First, the reviewer failed to mention you can have the CPU auto create your teams within seconds, including jerseys which look suprisingly good most of the time. Second, this game isn't trying to be Madden. It went it's own route, so don't expect it to be Madden in terms of game modes. And I'm not seeing any DB AI issues. My generics pick passes off when they should most of the time and also get abused by legends. It's a good mix.

But really, you can't have it both ways. Don't compare APF to other football games when it comes to game modes if you aren't going to compare it to other games in terms of gameplay in detail. APF murders NCAA this year in gameplay. If you think DB AI is bad in this game, I am scared to see what you have to say about NCAA. And not to turn this into a debate between the two, but if you find complaints about gameplay in this game, I would really like to hear your thoughts on the other game. APF makes every other football game not called 2k5 look like Tecmo Bowl in terms of player interaction. After playing and watching APF, I can't even call what I see in NCAA football. It's just players running around with a ball and then tackling each other. I would expect a lower score from the same reviewer on other football games I suppose.

Even mentioning the word "bad" at the end of the review wasn't a good idea if you liked the game. That will scare people. And I don't see this as a market test at all. It's not Madden, and that seems to frustrate people.

It's not like this game was marketed as a Madden replacement. People knew what this game was going to be. I don't understand why it gets reviewed by people who have this "idea" of what a football video game should be like. This is a very unique game, and they told us what it would be like before hand. For what they made this to be, it is almost perfect IMO. I thought it was a good review, the ending just makes it seem like a game that wasn't ready or is missing something. I don't think it is. This isn't EA sports, people need to get over it. I don't even think you can lump this game in with other football games. It needs to be in it's own category with Blitz, etc.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 AM   #70
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdunks4eva
this thread has become just stupid. i dont see how anyone can argue that someone else should have given the game a different score. i bet if OS gave APF a perfect 10, no-one would be saying how the site shouldnt usre a numerical system. it sounds like some people are upset that the "low" score might turn off potential buyers. too bad. i want this game to get high scores because i would like to see that many others love this game just as i do, and perhaps encourage 2k to go on with the next iteration.
if you are researching a game going by reviews, i would think a person would see the score or rating as a starting point, and then read the review to see WHY its great, average or horrible. after all, a game killer for someone else may not bother you at all. am i making any sense?
Game is not a 10, but for what the game is, and what we know about the game. i would definitely have give it at least a 8.5. Its just all how the person see's the game though.

10/10 on gameplay. No game comes close though. I don think anyone can argue with that.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 AM   #71
Pro

OVR: 9

I thought that some of the things that the reviewer talked about being bad was inaccurate. I too do not see the bad db play, or running. What I do see from some people is that they do not use players properly or they do not understand how sensitive the left stick is.

You have 3 running speeds, but most people press COMPLETELY in one direction to run as you do in other football games and this game is totally not to be played that way. Playing the game this way gives you a totally different playing perspective and it is not the game but the player.

I have noticed that most do not give this game credit for how much planning and adjustments must be made on by reading the defense or offense. I myself have contained the Sayers, Paytons, OJs, and other big and powerful backs. These adjustment feel very satisfying when you can slow down a running team or contain a gold WR and QB by using BIG HITS and pressure.

I also see alot of depth in this game. Every player has certain strength to figure out and master. You know the big hit, break away burst, spin, swim, rip, acrobatic catches and etc have to be learned how to be used to properly be effective. Then there are 2nd tier moves and chain moves.

I personally would rather have this depth>>>>>>>>>>>>>over a franchise with boot camp and running any day. But to each his own.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #72
Pro

OVR: 9

Excellently written review. I agree with many of the author's points, though I think the running game is probably the best in any football game to date. I felt 2k5 was far more of the "feast or famine" situation that was described than 2k8. I'd say the good majority of my runs are 3-6 yards when running up the gut with Okoye. IMO, the running game in APF is equally as impressive as the passing game.

7/10 is a completely valid score, because this game has the best gameplay ever coupled with probably the worst [offline] feature set in recent sports games.

Keep up the excellent writing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »