Home

Is APF Getting close to simulating a game of Real Football?

This is a discussion on Is APF Getting close to simulating a game of Real Football? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #25
Rookie

Cyclonus's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Is APF Getting close to simulating a game of Real Football?

I just posted a second ago stating tha i have both games and i still prefer 2k. The gameplay cannot be matched.

If i had to choose, i would take 2k.

I enjoy every aspect of this game, from the gameplay, to the custom teams, to the online features.

I have virtually no complaints about all pro.

I almost prefer the fake teams, i find myself getting more attached. For example if i throw to a generic TE and he drops it, im like, o well, youre not going to see the ball anymore, but if im playing w/ pros and throw it to shockey and he drops it i get annoyed and feel cheated. (although it does happen in real life)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2007, 08:16 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonus
I just posted a second ago stating tha i have both games and i still prefer 2k. The gameplay cannot be matched.

If i had to choose, i would take 2k.

I enjoy every aspect of this game, from the gameplay, to the custom teams, to the online features.

I have virtually no complaints about all pro.

I almost prefer the fake teams, i find myself getting more attached. For example if i throw to a generic TE and he drops it, im like, o well, youre not going to see the ball anymore, but if im playing w/ pros and throw it to shockey and he drops it i get annoyed and feel cheated. (although it does happen in real life)
Yeah same here, in Madden I get pissed off whenever anything goes wrong because of the AI.
If someone like Sharpe drops a pass in 2k8, it's usually because the pass was bad or he wasn't open, or he got rickrolled as the pass hits him.
It feels more like my fault than it does the game.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
There are some issues. Some of the linebackers zone coverage behaviors are head scratchers at times. Also the random gap blitzing is problematic with how high powered the offense is. If I am a defensive coach and I draw up on my board that i want you to hit the A gap, I don't want you hitting the C gap on the other side. I want you hitting A. Also sometimes the pass rushers will go all the way to the sideline then turn back in Lastly I want more plays to work with defensively. Defensively if they give me more schemes to work with, fix the fronts and even add new ones, then fix the zone coverage behaviors it's gold. Would be cool if they give us a Fronts editor as a apart of the defensive playbook

Now there are some plays that are bugged out like 2 Corners. If you call this play flip it at you own risk. The CB's will run to the opposite sides of the field. Let's say you want to man one of the linebackers in the play up on a slot WR. But the person sends the slot in motion after you man up the OLB. Well the OLB is not going to follow him. But if you reset the play the CB's swap WR's But I guess you can just use the D Hot routes another way and put the original OLB back in zone and then man the other OLB up on the slot as he makes his way across the formation.

The next go around I just want new plays across the board, offense and defense. Tweak the player behaviors. Mostly zone coverage behaviors. I don't want them going overboard though where guys can make plays on the ball even though they ran themselves out of the play. I do want more control over the animations though both offensively and defensively. I'll give EA credit this year for that.
I dont like the random gap blitzes either. Also I have seen instances of the Oline where players get beat and just stop blocking. They just stand there.

I also dont like that I cant see my LB's names pre snap.

I dont like that hot route controls rotate when you flip a play.

The practice mode needs some enhancements also.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:07 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 4

To me this game is all about you. If things did not go your way on any given play you are to blame and yes that does mean if the DB did not intercept the ball because when I take control and execute that same non AI controlled DB will intercept the ball. You have to do everything right from the play call to the setup of said play to the execution of the play.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:00 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 6

This game is great but far from perfect.

Theres a few major problems on defense. Lbz also mentioned the random gap blitzing.

The 2nd problem is containment. It doesn't matter how far you put that OLB outside, on certain run plays, he'll automatically run inside (especially man coverage). Corners do the same. Unless you call certain plays on defense, the outside run is always there. This leads certain run plays to be way more effective than it should be. ie. stretch, sweeps,toss. Look at the leaderboards, every single one of them run outside sweeps/toss/stretch plays .

Another problem is the Oline vs Dline. A poster previously said it well. If you send 7 guys vs 5 blockers, it should be a very quick blitz. The game cheats for the offense by allowing blockers to block multiple defenders. Me and Lbz have seen plays where the center will tap the nosetackle, then pull out to get the blitzer. There's no way in hell he can do if blitzing is as fast as it should be. You know there's a problem when manual blitzing is always faster than the CPU blitzing.

The passrush is erratic. Sometimes you'll see reggie white get in distruptively for 4 plays. The next 10 plays he'll do nothing at all. If I spend 2 golds and 2 silvers on my Dline, I should have no problems beating the Oline. The problem is, reggie never does his moves. If I manually control him, I can get in everytime, but if the cpu plays him, he takes half the plays off.
Now, Jerry rice + James lofton would KILL any generic DBs 1on1 EVERY PLAY.
Why can't my 2 gold DEs kill 2 generic tackles consistantly?

Lastly, balance in generics vs legends + route running. legends should be great,yes, but generics shouldn't be AWFUL either.
As for route running, someone tell me what route should be ran faster, a fade or a slant? Well in this game, the fade is actually faster than a slant or a streak. This, of course, is an animation balancing issue VC can easily fix. Speed up certain route running animations, slow some down.

Last edited by dunelly; 08-12-2007 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
This game is great but far from perfect.

Theres a few major problems on defense. Lbz also mentioned the random gap blitzing.

The 2nd problem is containment. It doesn't matter how far you put that OLB outside, on certain run plays, he'll automatically run inside (especially man coverage). Corners do the same. Unless you call certain plays on defense, the outside run is always there. This leads certain run plays to be way more effective than it should be. ie. stretch, sweeps,toss. Look at the leaderboards, every single one of them run outside sweeps/toss/stretch plays .

Another problem is the Oline vs Dline. A poster previously said it well. If you send 7 guys vs 5 blockers, it should be a very quick blitz. The game cheats for the offense by allowing blockers to block multiple defenders. Me and Lbz have seen plays where the center will tap the nosetackle, then pull out to get the blitzer. There's no way in hell he can do if blitzing is as fast as it should be. You know there's a problem when manual blitzing is always faster than the CPU blitzing.

The passrush is erratic. Sometimes you'll see reggie white get in distruptively for 4 plays. The next 10 plays he'll do nothing at all. If I spend 2 golds and 2 silvers on my Dline, I should have no problems beating the Oline. The problem is, reggie never does his moves. If I manually control him, I can get in everytime, but if the cpu plays him, he takes half the plays off.
Now, Jerry rice + James lofton would KILL any generic DBs 1on1 EVERY PLAY.

Lastly, balance in generics vs legends + route running. legends should be great,yes, but generics shouldn't be AWFUL either.
As for route running, someone tell me what route should be ran faster, a fade or a slant? Well in this game, the fade is actually faster than a slant or a streak. This, of course, is an animation balancing issue VC can easily fix. Speed up certain route running animations, slow some down.
Quote:
This leads certain run plays to be way more effective than it should be. ie. stretch, sweeps,toss. Look at the leaderboards, every single one of them run outside sweeps/toss/stretch plays .
These plays work because of gap mismatch. If the Defense can not clog up the hole then the RB wins. You have to choose the right D play.

Quote:
That would be Cheese, It would be like the Dline glitch from 2k5 and i dont think its a good idea to bring that back into the game.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrams

My God baa....
this is actually a (apparently) positive post from you.... in regards to 2K sports games.....
The most recent 2K games in my game collection are both 2K5. Other than the fact I don't play basketball, the reason for that doesn't have to do with me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2007, 06:22 AM   #32
MVP

OVR: 24

APF offers an alternative, but it is no more sim than any other football game I have played. If the running game is tamed down among other things this could be a really great game.

When I think SIM, I think that the game is developed in such a manner that I HAVE to play sim to compete. I can run and gun on this game with ease and rack up sacks and big yards on the ground at will.

Sim to me would have to be on the field and off the field play, preparation during the week, gameplay where every on field decision is at my disposal etc.

Righ now that is NOT All Pro Football.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »