Home

APF 2K8 the victim of Biased Media?!?!? Not even surprised!

This is a discussion on APF 2K8 the victim of Biased Media?!?!? Not even surprised! within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 30
Re: APF 2K8 the victim of Biased Media?!?!? Not even surprised!

I haven't played Madden yet, but if it's anything like NCAA, it'll be almost worthy of the ratings it's getting.

IMO, if NCAA didn't have the interception issue, it would be a better game of football than APF. But it does have the problem and it is a serious game killer to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 05:57 PM   #26
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Madden NFL 06 first outing on 360 and missing just about every feature......even challenges......and gets a 9.0 for presentation, no replays or commentary....come on.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/666/666658p3.html

All Pro Football 2k8 first outing on 360 and only missing Franchise mode, and a few feature....
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/807/807182p3.html

something isn't right..
Old 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM   #27
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Madden NFL 06 first outing on 360 and missing just about every feature......

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/666/666658p3.html

All Pro Football 2k8 first outing on 360 and only missing Franchise mode, and a few feature....
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/807/807182p3.html

something isn't right..
Madden 06 was a launch title, and I'd say Franchise is a pretty big thing to be missing, wouldn't you? 7.6 to 8.0 hardly something to point to as conspiracy.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Yes, that's it. The media is to blame for VC's near total failure to market this game.
I have to agree, VC is responsible for the games and promotion of those games. They could have released a demo earlier, worked out an agreement to release CDs with gaming mag subscriptions, heck even partnered with a website like this one and provided early and often vids.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #29
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Madden 06 was a launch title, and I'd say Franchise is a pretty big thing to be missing, wouldn't you? 7.6 to 8.0 hardly something to point to as conspiracy.
To the point where there's a near-2pt review differential? Personally I wouldn't factor franchise as being THAT important - especially if there are issues. If what I've seen is true of Madden 360/PS3 - that it's relatively easy to build a powerhouse/fool the franchise AI because it's not as fully developed as it is in LG Madden - why is it treated like it's a non-issue? I'm not trying to say Madden 08 is a bad game. I'm just wondering does simply being competent warrant a 9+ score? When people are asked "what does Madden do great/better than [other games]", there's always some delusional response (because APF/NCAA are horrible at everything) or careful wording of the answer. DBs that don't headtrack/psychic defenders? The OL doesn't need to build a cohesive pocket? Turnover issues? These are all widely reported issues that are glossed over in most Madden reviews. Presentation completely lacking - although EA's promised to address it next year. Guess 2K should've promised to add franchise next year - although I think it would get a different reception than is being given Madden for the things it's missing.

Those scores Madden 06 scores you noted are also better than what APF has been rated at to my knowledge. Could anyone even begin to make the argument that Madden 06 was anywhere near the quality of APF? I understand what you're saying, but given how Madden's been received critically the past two years it's too much of a stretch to assume reviewers/outlets realize they need Madden/EA's money more than vice versa

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
To the point where there's a near-2pt review differential? Personally I wouldn't factor franchise as being THAT important - especially if there are issues. If what I've seen is true of Madden 360/PS3 - that it's relatively easy to build a powerhouse/fool the franchise AI because it's not as fully developed as it is in LG Madden - why is it treated like it's a non-issue? I'm not trying to say Madden 08 is a bad game. I'm just wondering does simply being competent warrant a 9+ score? When people are asked "what does Madden do great/better than [other games]", there's always some delusional response (because APF/NCAA are horrible at everything) or careful wording of the answer. DBs that don't headtrack/psychic defenders? The OL doesn't need to build a cohesive pocket? Turnover issues? These are all widely reported issues that are glossed over in most Madden reviews. Presentation completely lacking - although EA's promised to address it next year. Guess 2K should've promised to add franchise next year - although I think it would get a different reception than is being given Madden for the things it's missing.

Those scores Madden 06 scores you noted are also better than what APF has been rated at to my knowledge. Could anyone even begin to make the argument that Madden 06 was anywhere near the quality of APF? I understand what you're saying, but given how Madden's been received critically the past two years it's too much of a stretch to assume reviewers/outlets realize they need Madden/EA's money more than vice versa
I am no reviewer, but scores are dependent on many factors, one of which is timing. I mean Super Tecmo Bowl on the NES when compared to Madden 06 would get a low score. At the time that game was released it had to be reviewed based on the standards, features in the industry at the time.

Side Not - The Shield is comparable to The Wire and some feel its better.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 5

It's time for some serious reality checks, lol. C'mon. The reviews are lower because the game is not great. Fun, yes, but not incredibly so due in large part to poor conceptual design. It fails on too many levels. The game took a lots of steps backwards in a number of areas. The fact that this game isn't getting lower scores from review sites is really what surprises me more. Quite frankly, I think reviewers have been merciful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2007, 06:39 PM   #32
Sean Payton: Retribution

jmood88's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB16
It's time for some serious reality checks, lol. C'mon. The reviews are lower because the game is not great. Fun, yes, but not incredibly so due in large part to poor conceptual design. It fails on too many levels. The game took a lots of steps backwards in a number of areas. The fact that this game isn't getting lower scores from review sites is really what surprises me more. Quite frankly, I think reviewers have been merciful.
What levels does it fail on?

If I went any bigger, it would not have properly fit with my equipment, so I had to optimize. I'm okay with it, but I also know what I'm missing with those five inches. :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »