Home

I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

This is a discussion on I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:42 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
You can throw on the run in APF, it's just that not every quarterback can do it.
Okay thanks. I need to check that out then, because my QB plants his feet so often that I'm thinking he should have been a gardener, not a football player.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #18
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Oh, okay - I must be using someone who can't run and throw, because when I try, he always has to stop and plant his feet.

How realistic? It's realistic to be able to run and throw at the same time. What I was saying is that when it happens in Madden, the QB does in fact throw the ball into the turf at times, unlike in years past.
Out of curiosity, are you using Jim Harbaugh? Because he has to throw the prettiest interceptions I've seen in this game - and I only say that half jokingly. They really are some pretty interceptions; I've felt like saving a few as replays. I haven't played w/all QBs in APF, but I know Dan Marino can throw w/accuracy while moving (edit - just saw Nova making the same point). I've also seen Montana do it (CPU against me). Just saying I don't think all QBs are inaccurate when moving; I think they did a pretty good job capturing that in the game.

If you look at the posts in the Madden impressions, it's interesting to see how desperately people are trying to get the game to work. If APF had the turnover issue that Madden apparently does, it'd be dead on arrival. Or the QB issues. Or the psychic DB issue. Or the LBs leaping 10ft issue. Etc., etc., etc. Someone else made the point that you don't see many slider threads on APF, but they popped up like weeds on Madden's 1st day. It's really more about the NFL license than about Madden the game - I think that's obvious. It's unfortunate things aren't on a more level playing field

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #19
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Imo, both games have their strengths and weaknesses, just as it's always been.

I prefer the play of APF, but I can see where Madden has improved significantly. I played 3 games last night, and saw a combined 3 turnovers. 2 of which were interceptions by me. One I threw an out route too late, and the other I got pressure and threw a ball up for grabs in coverage.

As far as QB throwing on the run, much more difficult in Madden this year.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #20

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22

If you look at the posts in the Madden impressions, it's interesting to see how desperately people are trying to get the game to work. If APF had the turnover issue that Madden apparently does, it'd be dead on arrival. Or the QB issues. Or the psychic DB issue. Or the LBs leaping 10ft issue. Etc., etc., etc. Someone else made the point that you don't see many slider threads on APF, but they popped up like weeds on Madden's 1st day. It's really more about the NFL license than about Madden the game - I think that's obvious. It's unfortunate things aren't on a more level playing field
I agree that people are trying to campaign for Madden, but it happens everywhere. APF is not immune. When people realised there was no franchise and a barebones offline mode in APF, in came the, "Well all I care aboout is gameplay" comments. It's in every game that people have an allegiance to. People take things personal and suddenly, a negative about their game of choice turns into someone cutting on their mom.

All around graphics go to both. APF's fields haver zero depth, the player's facemasks have jaggies and the player models come nowhere close to Madden's. At the same time APF's crowd is excellent, Madden's is ok, but nothing like APF's. Madden's sidelines are a sin. APF's are dynamic and just look better.

We could go on and on about the games. To me, both are fun, but my choice goes to Madden, simply because the game has depth and longevity.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:06 AM   #21
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Out of curiosity, are you using Jim Harbaugh? Because he has to throw the prettiest interceptions I've seen in this game - and I only say that half jokingly. They really are some pretty interceptions; I've felt like saving a few as replays. I haven't played w/all QBs in APF, but I know Dan Marino can throw w/accuracy while moving (edit - just saw Nova making the same point). I've also seen Montana do it (CPU against me). Just saying I don't think all QBs are inaccurate when moving; I think they did a pretty good job capturing that in the game.

To your point Spank. In the days leading up to madden's release, I saw just about all sports networks and pre-season game carriers pumping up the game. On espn's around the horn they had the madden holiday thing, in the game on nbc (I forget the teams) they talked about the release. And on various other espn and sports outlets madden is pushed.

It does not matter how good or bad the game is anymore, they have partnered with the nfl and that is all that matters. It is the only nfl game in town. Like you have been saying from day one, the risk that 2k took was great, it was an uphill climb. Others were saying that APF would sell 500,00-700,000 etc...I knew that the hold the nfl has on the consuming public is great. Not to mention the fact that people actually, whether consciuosly or subconsciously go out of their to not like 2k or not even try it. What a shame.

I told BK that there was no way madden 08's gameplay was better than APF, I still stand by that. This game is very good, but it looks like it will suffer the fate of 2k5, will only be appreciated after it's death. I just hope 2k goes all out next year and makes APF09 fully customizable etc...I hope they don't give up the fight. They make excellent football games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #22
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:

HAve you actually played Madden 08 yet?

And please slider threads? The Holy Grail of football games 2k5, needed massive slider adjustments to get the game play the way people wanted it. That's a poor argument.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #23
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Boy is that a weird post, given a couple of us here are happily discussing the ins and outs of the game, and all without having to resort to insults. I'm guessing you're a teenager, right?
What insult? LOL!

I insulted nobody.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #24
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
I agree that people are trying to campaign for Madden, but it happens everywhere. APF is not immune. When people realised there was no franchise and a barebones offline mode in APF, in came the, "Well all I care aboout is gameplay" comments. It's in every game that people have an allegiance to. People take things personal and suddenly, a negative about their game of choice turns into someone cutting on their mom.

All around graphics go to both. APF's fields haver zero depth, the player's facemasks have jaggies and the player models come nowhere close to Madden's. At the same time APF's crowd is excellent, Madden's is ok, but nothing like APF's. Madden's sidelines are a sin. APF's are dynamic and just look better.

We could go on and on about the games. To me, both are fun, but my choice goes to Madden, simply because the game has depth and longevity.
Am I the only one that prefers APF's player models?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »