Home

I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

This is a discussion on I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2007, 03:07 PM   #257
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: I didnt realize how good APF 2K8 was until I played Madden

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
2K4 & 2K5 again?

*sigh* just to make myself clear... all the games have issues. How sever either game's issues are is a matter of preference. Just as there were multiple threads about APF's lack of franchise, so are there multiple threads about Madden's issues. Imo if APF is going to get docked points for [whatever reason], so should Madden and NCAA. Whether they have been or not is debateable
You indicated Madden's flaws somehow get overlooked or are allowed to "fly" and other games don't have the luxury. I simply pointed out, that's no where near being true.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:29 PM   #258
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You indicated Madden's flaws somehow get overlooked or are allowed to "fly" and other games don't have the luxury. I simply pointed out, that's no where near being true.
based off review scores. guess everything needs to be spelled out lol

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM   #259
MVP

plasticbeast's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
That is debatable but what can't be is that, just having the nfl and its players is a money maker. Myself included in this: we are more willing to overlook things for the "real" teams and players. (this is especially true the more casual gamer you are)

I kinda relate it to this: the more money I make for a job, the more crap I am willing to put up with in said job.

OSFL
: Lake County Extreme- 2010 OSFL Champs
NCFA: WVU Mountaineers- As long as we beat Pitt...
BLB: Morgantown Mowhawks- Expansion Team
Old 08-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #260
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticbeast
That is debatable but what can't be is that, just having the nfl and its players is a money maker. Myself included in this: we are more willing to overlook things for the "real" teams and players. (this is especially true the more casual gamer you are)

I kinda relate it to this: the more money I make for a job, the more crap I am willing to put up with in said job.
I think you are correct about the casual gamer. License is a money maker no doubt. Which is why it's price was so high., But I read stuff like things in Madden are forgiven and aren't in 2k, and that's simply not true.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:34 PM   #261
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
based off review scores. guess everything needs to be spelled out lol
I sure hope you've got something better than that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #262
MVP

plasticbeast's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
I think you are correct about the casual gamer. License is a money maker no doubt. Which is why it's price was so high., But I read stuff like things in Madden are forgiven and aren't in 2k, and that's simply not true.
Yeah and everyones take on a game is so different too. It all depends on what you are looking for in the game, and how you play it.

OSFL
: Lake County Extreme- 2010 OSFL Champs
NCFA: WVU Mountaineers- As long as we beat Pitt...
BLB: Morgantown Mowhawks- Expansion Team
Old 08-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #263
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
It is true... but you're right too. That's why it's a bit annoying whenever anyone says "you criticize this in [insert favorite game here] but if this was the [insert other game here] forum it'd be getting blasted." I think the group that is hypocritical in its analysis is MUCH smaller than people act like it is. There is a BUNCH of crap from the blatantly obvious to the subtle that's ignored or forgiven in Madden. There are many reasons but the main one is how well the game does what people are looking for. It's just like a relationship... small things don't become big things until the big things you like are no longer there.

Of course this is true for APF too. If you need a franchise then anything else that's wrong with APF just piles on. It's like people naturally look for the bad things, but in games that do what they really want, and do it well, they look for ways to get around the bad things.

In a sense, I do agree with spank but not for the same reason. Madden IS videogame football just like Xerox IS copying and Blockbuster IS video stores. In Madden, EA has defined how we view what a football video game should be. At this point it's really only compared to itself. People didn't complain about the lack of gang tackling as much as they complained about things that were included in the xbox/ps2 version and not in the NG versions... even though gang tackling should be more important. Innovations aren't worth much until they're added to Madden. It's the nature of the beast at this point.

We can evaluate the games based on our personal opinions, but they'll never be on even ground globally and it's not just b/c of marketing. Madden has to kill itself before any other game can take it down. NBA2kx has been good for a while but it wasn't really a competitor in sales to Live until Live became absolute garbage. Same with Triple Play. They came back with a new engine before the license sticky situation but people were still buying triple play long after it was worth a dime.

The faults of madden are forgiven more than the faults of apf... but that's b/c it's madden we're talking about. The license helps and all that jazz but the name, familiarity, history, etc. means a lot. It's consistent. That's why I'd say to most that haven't liked it don't even bother. It's not going to be much better or worse than it ever was. While VC games can potentially be MUCH better in some areas and MUCH worse in others. They have to take those risks and see how it works out. Other comparisons have been made before but that's the deal. The core of the game doesn't change in madden, for better or worse. If you were ok with it before, you'll be ok with it now. Even 2k fans think "if you're gonna take madden down..." so they don't have the same luxury of JUST building on the core. They have to try new creative things... especially when they don't have the NFL or NFLPA licenses.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »