Home

Did APF ruin the game with how generic players are?

This is a discussion on Did APF ruin the game with how generic players are? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:20 AM   #25
fishstick

OVR:
Re: Did APF ruin the game with how generic players are?

Without the NFL license the games biggest hurdle was obviously going to be team recognition. 2K did a great job at letting gamers really letting gamers feel close to their custom team but then pulls the rug out from everything wit the generics.

Not that there is anything wrong with generics - they are quite fine with most. Problem is they give you no scoutning report or any type of rating or even generic skill set to help you identify with the players. So you have to play a whlie to really get the feel of what each guy is capable of.

Fine, I can deal with that but I cannot deal with my team being replaced with an entirely new team of generics just because I want to change the color of my socks. Now all the time I spent identifying with my team is washed away as quick as you can say "Saving Roster".

And why can't they work out a number system that doens't repeat stuff? I can understand if you have two legends with the same number but generics should never have duplicating numbers with themselves or the legends...how hard would that code be to write? Not very Im guessing. I have seven number 66s on my team and it is all the more stupid that I cannot renumber or edit them in any way - superficial items like name/number that would have no bearing on gameplay.

Please patch this number issue 2k and please make it so I can keep my generic team even if I edit my uniform. Why can't I keep the same generics until I go in and edit those generic options?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2007, 12:47 AM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Yea, screw 2K for tightenin up the gameplay...what we really want is more hair options for CAP.

I am glad the tight game play has blinded you of it's short commings

even though you know everything I said is true,it is ok to think you know you are right,even when you are wrong.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3
Talking Re: Did APF ruin the game with how generic players are?

The Bringer makes excellent points. I still think that if APF2K8 hadn't been developed for release on PS3, that would have solved a lot.

The User Interface for the game is simply horrendous. I understand trying to make things different. Cool. But why abandon things that work for something that doesn't...?

The Team Management functions should have been much more robust - especially for a game of this nature. I want to make the team MY OWN.

Limit the number of total created players, I can live with that. But please allow me to choose ALL the spots on my team, even if it is based upon the generics.

It's cool that I start off with a Draft of LEGENDS... There are plenty of ways to do that and we adore the opportunity. But please allow me to run a training camp at the very least so that I can learn which guys are starters, who is riding pine, who is on the practice team and who are simply SCRUBS.

I've learned it isn't absolutely necessary to go with the best of the best... I have done surprisingly well, despite my defeats, using a Bronze Quarterback, John Brodie, at the helm of my offense. He's no Steve Young or Joe Montana, that's for sure, but he's still a serviceable QB and gets the job done. Now howzabout allowing me to forge the proper sort of Offensive line to accommodate this QB's skillset? Hmmm...?

Elsewhere someone mentioned the idea that the next version of this series (assuming there is one) should concentrate on making the entire football experience more of a role playing game. I really like that idea a whole bunch. The notion encapsulates what I always felt was missing in Franchise modes. I want the ability as Owner/General Manager/Coach to craft a team that plays the way I think the game of football should be played to the fullest - even if it isn't successful. I want the Los Angeles Wings to be as much Red Ronin's team as the Oakland Raiders are Al Davis's team.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #28
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by renojedi
Ok, I realize this may seem like a topic we have read before and that 2K answered as saying they didn't want people making the NFL-lite, pissing off the NFL, and eventually costing them a chance at the licence in the future.
Unfortunately, in their desire to not upset the NFL they've upset buyers and potential buyers by over-restricting what can be done and that's had a significant impact on sales, which will in turn probably defeat the possibility of them ever getting a shot at the license again, or there being another APF. Having said that, people have made uniforms that look pretty damn close, close enough that it would piss off the NFL. So, if people are able to do that then they should've just gone ahead and given us the full wagon. 2K made a huge mistake with their concept.

In reality, they should've just given us the full wagon because they really have no chance of getting the license again anyway. As long as EA can put up the money, the NFL will continue to renew. It wouldn't make smart business sense for the NFL to do otherwise.

As for what they did with the generics... well, they f'ed up. You've got too many players with the same number, and too many of the same guys popping up on multiple teams. It's one of the stupidest things I've ever seen in a football video game. It ranks right up there with the Vision Cone and Create-A-Fan.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »