Home

Positions that Golds should and should not be used on

This is a discussion on Positions that Golds should and should not be used on within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #25
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: Positions that Golds should and should not be used on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I think if you only use one legend line men, it kinda kills his effectiveness. But with 3 of them, the line cant focus on one dude and someone is gonna get pressure.
Yeah, it's a good idea to pair up a Gold DE at least with a legend DT (I personally have Dave Butz as my UT). And don't be predictable when calling d-line actions with the stud DE. Have him stunting or looping, pinching/crashing in or fanning out, etc. on a regular basis. Even move him around to the other side at times. I don't hesitate to put Deac on the left DE side facing the right tackle using the depth chart so he's on the blind side of lefty quarterbacks like Ken Stabler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
Offense is easier to adjust. Defense, most people just call 2 man lol. This game will always favor the offense cause people dont know how to play D

Heh, that's how I tend to calling my defense early in games as well, with additional minor tweaks. But I do have a bunch of tricks up my sleeve. I don't like showing my cards unless I have to.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 08-17-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #26
Rookie

sleepychicken's Arena

OVR: 4
Re: Positions that Golds should and should not be used on

I think the reason people have problems with this game, and especially wonder why their Gold defenders suck, is because we've been brainwashed by EA football games. In an EA football game, you could call the same defense the whole game and it worked for any offense. I know in NCAA, you could run straight up Dime 2deep Man against any formation, run or pass and shut it down if you had a good defense.

This game isn't like that. There is no one magic defense that covers all plays and routes. If you don't call the right play on D, their people will be open.

If you play off in man coverage, slants and outs will be open. If you play your corneres in short zones, streaks will be open. If you play 2 deep, deep middle routes will be open. If people are throwing quick passes, you're not going to get sacks.

As far as the origional question. No Gold pics are worthless.

People say O line is worthless, but I played a guy with a gold and silver Tackle and Otis Anderson, and there was nothing I could do to stop it with my average defense.

Saying a gold CB is worthless is silly. If you call proper coverage, they can pull off insane plays.

The only real problem I've seen is how easily quality LB's, especially middle, get caught up in the muck. They should be able to filter through that more quickly. They also react too slowly to flare routes by the RB's. Pretty easy fix though. If your LB is man on man with the RB, take control of him and follow the play yourself.

Gold D lines are awesome too. You can't just pick on and throw him on your line and expect him to get to the QB though. They just get double or triple teamed every play. Try a gold DE, and a silver DT. Blitz a generic LB on every play. The scrub will rarely get to the QB, but he will occupy a blocker, which will free up one of your legend D linemen. I used to hate D-linemen too, and would never pick them, but that's because I needed to learn how to play, and forget the stuff I've learned playing NCAA and Madden for the last four years.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:39 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
He's the only QB I use in the game. I might use Stabler here or there but Marino has become my favorite weapon of choice.
I'll vouch for Stabler. He's got mobility, enough arm strength to air it out, and the the Clutch rating is the real deal with him: he makes the throws that count. I've never used Marino though, so it may be that I don't know what I'm missing.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 2

Well,I tried the combo of White and a silver NT. White got 1 sack, 1 tackle, and the silver DT got 0 tackles, 0 sacks. My gold/silver front once again got dominated by an all-generic line. He passed all over me because he had all the time in the world to throw. Im to the point where Im just going to get 2 gold CBs (WIllie Brown and Night Train), Leroy Butler/Silver at SS, and Tatum at FS. Lloyd at OLB, Studwell at MLB and use an all-bronze offense. Forget picking any d-lineman.. its just not worth it.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 4

I preface this by saying that his is purely my experience from playing on all-pro offline. But I play with an all legend secondary with 2 gold (Night Train, Lott) and 2 bronze DT's (Saleamua, Perry) and generic ends and linebackers. So far, I have had no problems with sacking the QB. In 11 games into my season, my generic defensive ends; Willie Gordon, Curtis Little, and Jarious Gatlin, each have 8, 7.5 and 5.5 sacks respectively. Perry himself has 17 so far.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:31 AM   #30
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue58
Well,I tried the combo of White and a silver NT. White got 1 sack, 1 tackle, and the silver DT got 0 tackles, 0 sacks. My gold/silver front once again got dominated by an all-generic line. He passed all over me because he had all the time in the world to throw. Im to the point where Im just going to get 2 gold CBs (WIllie Brown and Night Train), Leroy Butler/Silver at SS, and Tatum at FS. Lloyd at OLB, Studwell at MLB and use an all-bronze offense. Forget picking any d-lineman.. its just not worth it.
If you want to use White, try this combo....

Gold:
R. White (DE)
Willie Brown or D. Lane (CB)

Silver:
L. Barney (CB)
Silver DE or DT [I like J. Youngblood (DE) or J. Brown (DT)]

Bronze:
Bronze DE or DT [I like Saleamua (DT) or Simmons (DE)]

I always make sure I swap Reggie to the wide side of the field (since most players run to the wide side of the field). You still will rarely see Reggie run over OLinemen, and if your opponent knows what they are doing they can still get passes off if they stay with short or intermediate routes, but in the right zones, your CBs basically will shut down those short routes down and make the sidelines not a friendly place to throw. You need to make sure the safeties cover the deep middle if you opponent looks that way, and if you can play the middle with a LB or Safety that is your best bet. I also use press coverage with the zones to slow down the WR release off the line.

Often times this will make your opponent hold the ball too long on those 2nd and 3rd and long plays where they are trying to get the first down through the air, and that is where the sacks come in to play (at least for me). Even if you don't get sacks, you will probably force them to throw before they are ready.

My last 2 league games (this team just has 2 DTs, Brown and Saleamua, generic DEs, with Willie Brown and D. Lane at CB)....first game J. Brown had 5 sacks and Saleamua had another because my opponent kept holding on to the ball (I play LB in coverage BTW). Second game I had no sacks, but I held Marino to 2-11 and a 3.8 passer rating. Even though I got no sacks, my opponent was constantly throwing too early, and into coverage.

The Legend D-Line works....but you can't expect to see nano-blitz performances where the qb is sacked within 2 seconds...the game just isn't made that way....to get guys running free you either have to glitch the AI or blitz the house...I don't recommend either.

BTW, My favorite set up is with 2 Gold CBs, Youngblood, J. Brown and Saleamua with Run Coverage LBs and Coverage Safties....I use all other spots on Offense. As soon as people see the 2 Gold CBs, it just about guarantees they will try to run the ball to start the game, which makes it easy to call run stopping zones early. Then when you shut that down, you can call deeper coverage zones or go Man to man on the outside with your 2 gold corners and completely befuddle your opponent. Good luck.

Last edited by jdros13; 08-19-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:39 AM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 1

I think Gold CBs are solid at shutting down silver and bronze WRs. Some guy used Night Train Lane and Willie Brown on me and completely shutdown my passing game. And they were great in run support. And every time I tried to run some type of streak with my WR he would use willie brown to bump him off the line and I think he is a bump and run master and it completely throws off your timing. So if used properly Gold CBs are good as well, especially if your oponent has one silver and 1 bronze WR

Last edited by itsamemario; 08-19-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

I rarely use anything but two golds on defense. 1 Corner, 1 LB. Sometimes two corners.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »