Home

Blitzing is impossible

This is a discussion on Blitzing is impossible within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:58 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Blitzing is impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenR
They made it way too much work, to get a decent amount of pressure.
i like it. It makes you choose to play a DB or DL guy. Really makes you decide what to do as most like to use DBs.
Old 08-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Icon2 Re: Blitzing is impossible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenR
They made it way too much work, to get a decent amount of pressure.

Agreed. Like I mentioned in the past, the take off speed of gap blitzers and defensive linemen rushing the passer is way too slow and it takes way too much time for them to gather speed. To get a grasp of what I mean, go to a full scrimmage in practice mode. Call a blitz play for the defense and any random play for the offense. Peep how fast offensive players move at the snap of the ball, then rewind and check out how slow all the blitzers and d-line rushers come off the ball. Offensive players are moving at just about full speed at the snap, while that's not the case for defensive players. There is a huge disparity here.

Has anyone watched Steelers vs. Redskins game the past weekend? If you had, you would've seen how blitzes and pressure defense really is. When the gap blitzers are coming, they're coming. No slow movement at the snap of the ball unless on a delayed blitz by design -- and on a delayed blitz the guy is supposed to remain still briefly (no movement) before attacking the line of scrimmage anyway. The gap blitzer(s) may be picked up, but someone else may be slithering through the hole breaking free and once he's free he'll immediately close on the quarterback. Safeties or cornerbacks on the blitz are running at the QB quickly. No waiting for a couple seconds for him to get to full speed coming around the edge or charging through a gap like in APF 2K8.

The take off speed for blitzers and rushers has to be adjusted, and simply changing the gameplay option to Fast isn't going to help it. It's a gameplay problem.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 08-20-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
Agreed. Like I mentioned in the past, the take off speed of gap blitzers and defensive linemen rushing the passer is way too slow and it takes way too much time for them to gather speed. To get a grasp of what I mean, go to a full scrimmage in practice mode. Call a blitz play for the defense and any random play for the offense. Peep how fast offensive players move at the snap of the ball, then rewind and check out how slow all the blitzers and d-line rushers come off the ball. Offensive players are moving at just about full speed at the snap, while that's not the case for defensive players. There is a huge disparity here.

Has anyone watched Steelers vs. Redskins game the past weekend? If you had, you would've seen how blitzes and pressure defense really is. When the gap blitzers are coming, they're coming. No slow movement at the snap of the ball unless on a delayed blitz by design -- and on a delayed blitz the guy is supposed to remain still briefly (no movement) before attacking the line of scrimmage anyway. The gap blitzer(s) may be picked up, but someone else may be slithering through the hole breaking free and once he's free he'll immediately close on the quarterback. Safeties or cornerbacks on the blitz are running at the QB quickly. No waiting for a couple seconds for him to get to full speed coming around the edge or charging through a gap like in APF 2K8.

The take off speed for blitzers and rushers has to be adjusted, and simply changing the gameplay option to Fast isn't going to help it. It's a gameplay problem.

Kruza

Agreed. Hell watch any pre-season game and you will see the blitzers flying. They may not get there all the time, but they are still flying. I have watched every pre-season game up to this point and I see guys flying like crazy. Lots of blitzing this pre season. So to me it is a thing VC needs to fix. They need to fix the take off speed of pass rushers. And fix the angles. Even when a guy does get free he still takes the longest road toward the QB. An outside guy for instance. Stop making the loop, just crash down inside.

You can manually blitz, but who wants to do that? When you do that you cannot disguise anything. You can control Dline, but my team isn't built for Dlinemen to get the sacks, it's built for linebackers to bring the heat. See the game is built for Dline play and Dlinemen to get sacks. So running a cover 2 scheme seems to be the best thing. Which while some people may like that, I do not. I don't feel like sitting here running no damn cover 2. I want to run an attack style defense, but in the game that's basically impossible because you can't trust your other players.

The speed of the D in general is just too slow. I watch Shannon Sharpe, Mike Ditka, Anthony Munoz all move in pratice mode and these guys are flying. Munoz is crazy ya'll. Nobody on D moves this fast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruza
Agreed. Like I mentioned in the past, the take off speed of gap blitzers and defensive linemen rushing the passer is way too slow and it takes way too much time for them to gather speed.
Kruza
I completely agree with that statement. That being said I would rather have to work to get pressure than have nano pressure with some blitzes everytime they are run.

I do think your personell does make some difference as well. I have had some success blitzing with Greg Lloyd and Derrick Thomas. Also I have found that blitzing your LBs is the only reliable way to stop some of the overpowered gold tiered RBs.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by denoginizer
I completely agree with that statement. That being said I would rather have to work to get pressure than have nano pressure with some blitzes everytime they are run.

I do think your personell does make some difference as well. I have had some success blitzing with Greg Lloyd and Derrick Thomas. Also I have found that blitzing your LBs is the only reliable way to stop some of the overpowered gold tiered RBs.
Yeah I do not want it every time, but if I have numbers then they gotta get there even if it is nano style pressure. If the numbers are there it's gotta get there. I have seen guys pull up. I have seen guys run around the QB. I have seen guys run all the way to the sideline and try to loop back around. I have seen guys do everything possible to NOT sack the QB
Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #14
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Good point, Kruza; it's just a thing that has to be dealt with in this iteration of the game. As far as making a bad situation better, I think it helps to manually control your blitzing backers, as well as the defensive lineman on occasion. The reason, as LBZrule (who has lots of really helpful stuff to say about defense in this game) has pointed out before, is that the gap assignments are neither consistent nor correct, so your blitzer might not take the best route to the QB. What I do sometimes is take my blitzing linebacker and adjust my route to the QB according to how the line assignments shape up--gaps will develop, you just have to hit them yourself.

Also, I'll second the blitzing DBs. I was wary of this at first, but they close on the QB like mofos, so the C/S blitz is worth using every now and again. God knows Lebeau does it, and it seems to work just fine for him
Old 08-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
Banned

OVR: 17

Has anyone tried the setting all Sliders to 0's to get better gameplay without global modifiers on?....then perhaps increase the CPU and HUMAN Pursuit slightly? ( doesnt pursuit account for defensive speed?)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #16
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

I think blitzing is done well. I agree you have to mix it up and bring a safety or corner once inawhile and not just vanilla blitzes.

However, if you play someone that is good at sitting in the pocket and has good presence, its hard to get a rush on him. But i also thinks thats good.

I have three legends on my Dline and average at least 3 sacks a game. I think the most ive had was like 13.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »