Home

Scarecrow Coverage Zones

This is a discussion on Scarecrow Coverage Zones within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
Scarecrow Coverage Zones

Does anyone else feel like the zone coverage in this game is broken? The DBs literally turn into scarecrows. They dont engage anyone coming across their zone, they just stand there and only react if the player happens to run nearly into them. Another problem is that the safties run with their back to the play to get to their assigned zone spot, then they stop for a full second, then turn around (real slow) and then get caught in an awkward animation and take themselves out of the play. Doesn't always happen but enough to discourage me from using a lot of zones...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Scarecrow Coverage Zones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue58
Does anyone else feel like the zone coverage in this game is broken? The DBs literally turn into scarecrows. They dont engage anyone coming across their zone, they just stand there and only react if the player happens to run nearly into them. Another problem is that the safties run with their back to the play to get to their assigned zone spot, then they stop for a full second, then turn around (real slow) and then get caught in an awkward animation and take themselves out of the play. Doesn't always happen but enough to discourage me from using a lot of zones...
I always use Zones, it happens rarely sometimes for me, i always have to set their position correctly base on the down and if i think they will pass or run.

So far i have shutout teams as well as cause tons of INTS With Lott using Zone D.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21

I having a hard time defending in this game when using a zone. The cpu always eats up my zones, but yet I'm having a hard time returning the favor. It seems to me that the generics for the cpu play at a far higher level than the human generics. It's very frustrating.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

The problem is how much micromanagement you need for zones. You think cover 2 hard would stop the flats? Nope. Unless you shift them a certain way, the default corner always play inside. You can't just call certain coverages vs certain routes. You actually have to call the right SHIFTS too.

It's stupid I know. Not like offense isn't already easy enough.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
The problem is how much micromanagement you need for zones. You think cover 2 hard would stop the flats? Nope. Unless you shift them a certain way, the default corner always play inside. You can't just call certain coverages vs certain routes. You actually have to call the right SHIFTS too.

It's stupid I know. Not like offense isn't already easy enough.
Yea , thats it Micromanagement, you cant just chose a Zone play and automatically think it will defend everything, You have to do a lot of adjustments with the zone first base on what the opponents position and formation is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Kenny
Yea , thats it Micromanagement, you cant just chose a Zone play and automatically think it will defend everything, You have to do a lot of adjustments with the zone first base on what the opponents position and formation is.
He wasnt saying he was expecting it to defend everything. The problem is, when you call the right zone for the right situation, you'll have 2 or 3 guys just camping there and you lick your chops thinking "Its not a question of will I intercept this, but which of the 3 guys will do it?" Only to have them just stand there, never move, and just watch as the receiver pulls yet another one in between triple coverage. The zone coverage AI in this game is very, very bad.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Well, the micromanagement should not be so definite when playing defense.

Cover 2 hard should stop the flats, No MATTER WHAT. I shouldn't have to do any shifting or personnel change or anything.

Blue's right, sometimes you'll see the defender do absolutely nothing. He'll just stand there like a wall. On the opposite side of that, sometimes you'll see a defender do a superjump swat to the ball from a complete standstill.
I think it relates back to 2k5, and how it was all about consistency.

On top of that, some of the zones are just plain broken in how the AI plays them.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Thumbs down Re: Scarecrow Coverage Zones

You all make good points about needing to pamper these defensive backs in order to maintain leverage in situation where it shouldn't be needed. But I do find that less adjustments are needed for great cover guys like Willie Wood, Rod Woodson and Lem Barney.

At any rate, aside from the defensive backs turning their backs when they shouldn’t, my pet peeve is the safeties behavior against the deep post route while in Cover 1/3 and the streak up the seam while in Cover 2/4/8. If he’s in range, that safety in the middle of the field should immediately make a decisive move to either make a play on the ball while it's in flight or get ready to crack that intended wide receiver and attempt to dislodge the ball from him. But instead, the safety waits too long to make a move and allows the receiver to catch the ball and then not punish him for catching it. Dammit… either go for the pick/swat or crush that receiver! If the safety draws a penalty for hitting the receiver early, fine. If he tries to make a play on the ball and misses, that's fine too. Actions like these are what separate the good ones from the mediocre/bad ones, not the delayed “scarecrow” response that Blue58 mentions. I at least want the guy to be proactive, and it shouldn’t require a Ronnie Lott, Jack Tatum, Leroy Butler, Eugene Robinson-type legend safety to witness this.

Kruza

Last edited by Kruza; 08-23-2007 at 02:56 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »