Home

NFL2K4 All Over Again.

This is a discussion on NFL2K4 All Over Again. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:55 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 32
Re: NFL2K4 All Over Again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I believe in great backs but this is F ing ridiculous. I have Legends on the field on defense too. And when Campbell runs through Lambert, Carson and then Robinson back to back to back then that's just unrealistic. That's unrealistic no matter how you square it. All of this happened within 5 yards. But I guess when the linebackers are sitting back and and letting the ball carrier attack them rather than attacking the **** ball carrier that's what the hell happens.

I use the defensive hot routes for my linebackers on the elite rbs. I notice lbs respond better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 6

whats the point? They can rush to get ran over faster by earl campbell?
Old 08-27-2007, 11:32 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 1

use the right stick to tackle LOW. Take their legs out...if you go high they will go through you.

You can also try:
Making sure your LBs and FS/SS had Run Coverage abilities

It works now strong RB's arent that much of a problem anymore. Especially if I get a 2 TD or more lead. That pretty much will stop any running attack as it would take to much time off the clock and they turn into a predictable pass oriented team.

I also laugh when people say this and that are cheese. Their is always a way to stop something you just have to know how to do it.

Last edited by Brisal73; 08-27-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-27-2007, 11:58 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 3

True enough. The problem though is that sometimes it seems the only way to stop cheesy gameplay is to apply more... cheese. It is situations of that sort that end up being especially frustrating to someone who just wants to play a head up game. When you know that your opponent just wants to keep running the same play over and over and over and over again until something in the AI breaks, its just a real pain. Nobody wants to have to keep calling the exact same defense for an hour because someone on the other side of the ball is too afraid to actually explore the depths of his playbook and come up with a gameplan that isn't laden in cheesiness.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Old 08-28-2007, 12:26 AM   #45
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ronin
True enough. The problem though is that sometimes it seems the only way to stop cheesy gameplay is to apply more... cheese. It is situations of that sort that end up being especially frustrating to someone who just wants to play a head up game. When you know that your opponent just wants to keep running the same play over and over and over and over again until something in the AI breaks, its just a real pain. Nobody wants to have to keep calling the exact same defense for an hour because someone on the other side of the ball is too afraid to actually explore the depths of his playbook and come up with a gameplan that isn't laden in cheesiness.

Red Ronin

see I don't mind if he calls the same thing over and over. I just mind that BS starts to happen. Why do my defenders fatigue but the RB's and WR's on offense do not. Also in general the defenders are slower than the offensive players on this game. Also I want weight, velocity of players, angle to matter in tackling. I've seen some BS where Earl just breaks stuff that he should not break. The thing is I have him bottled up for 3 quarters. Then in the 4th he Hulks up Hulkamania style, waves his finger and says, Noooooo BRUUUUTHERRRRRRR!!!!! Runs over 3 linebackers and a strong safety all within 5 yards of each other. Not only that, I also mind when there are things in the game that put the offense well ahead of the defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2007, 12:36 AM   #46
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ronin

Red Ronin
Well said, Ronin, and I agree with the earlier posts by spank and lbz; I was just being cautious in my response because there are plenty of guys on these boards who know more about football than I do. The problem with Earl is often that he's still going near full speed after contact and that issues with pursuit and blocking frequently prevent you from getting more than one body on him at a time, which is what you really need to do to bring him down. I've had much more success against Earl lately than I did when I first played the game, but I, like Ronin, get bored when guys run jokers weak toss or whatever and just wait for that one play where the blocking will be perfect, Earl will break five tackles, and run for an 80 yard score. When all of that doesn't happen, usually some of it does, and it's usually against a defense that has some pretty talented folks on it to boot.

The one guy who really amazed me against Earl was Cliff Harris--I played two games against Earl with him, and he was flawless. This could have been luck, but he's a really great one to have back there. The rest is getting lucky with guessing gap assignments, hoping your hot-routed linebacker gets there to slow him down so someone can clean up the trash, or the once in a blue moon straight up luck tackle by a generic comes your way.

He seems to be unnaturally good in the passing game as well. Look at his stats: he didn't catch many balls, but he's got pretty consistent hands, and when your opponent is mixing screens with runs and even one other option occasionally, it's a pretty long day.

Ronin's response is the right one, and the one I hope more people start taking with this game to give it some shelf life. Why not explore some different player combination and plays? Everyone wants to win, but it gets old to see the same ten players on your opponent's team and the same ten plays in their playbook, especially when the game is as rich as it is and loaded with plays that didn't work on other video games but will work in the right situation on this one. The weak zone stretch out of the pro set is a great example: when I first saw that play, I was like, "hell no, I'm never running that, the DE will swallow me." But I ran it, let the blocking develop, and low and behold, it worked! Not every time, but no play does. Enough work in the right situation to vary things up, though.

I started the All-Underused Team thread as a way to try to engage the community in expansive roster thinking, and it would be fun to do something similar with the playbooks--talking about the various ways we've all used different formations and plays to take advantage of specific matchup issues, etc. It might just be an encouraging way to help bring out the robustness of the game.

Last edited by RogueHominid; 08-28-2007 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #47
Farewell and 'ado

DocHolliday's Arena

OVR: 19

Im only playing online so im not sure if offline is the prob. Honestly, I used to have trouble stopping backs, now, I hold most backs to 50 yards or less almost all the time.

When i think a run is coming I use the 4:3 with the strong linebacker blitzing. This grings a safety up closer to the line because he usually becomes the TE man to man guy. The I take lloyd and hout route to the RB. I control MLB and just make sure I contain.

Wala, Stopped. I dont know I actually think the run game is done real good, at least online.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 AM   #48
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Not a bad strategy, Doc. I've used that one as well, sometimes with success, sometimes without. If that blitzing guy takes a bad angle (and this has happened to me, even with a legend), and if the blocking is good, you could be up for a big run. A guy broke a huge run with Billy Simms out of the Pro Set against precisely this defensive strategy--I think it was a sweep. In any case, Van Pelt went too deep, lost a shot at Simms, my SS got blocked, and as soon as he was past the LOS, I knew he was gone. A whole different set of issues from Earl, but you've still got to get some luck in there to have shot at stopping some of these guys.

Not saying that's right or wrong necessarily, but it sho is tuff

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »