Home

The New "Little Things" Thread

This is a discussion on The New "Little Things" Thread within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-28-2007, 11:06 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 28
Re: The New "Little Things" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I think that's the cool thing though. Dan is not a rollout QB. He's a pure pocket passer so he does not run the fake well. Now Stabler can run a fake and so can Dawson.
Yeah I thought it was a great addition also. I know he wasn't much into anything but slinging that ball it's just I had no idea a videogame would get it down like that. And it's just something else that makes Marino human in the game instead of a god. There's a difference between being hard to stop and unstoppable. They could have messed up and made Marino unstoppable but they didn't , they just made him hard to stop. I played a guy last night who also used Marino but i was able to get 3 picks off him and a ton of deflections because I knew Marino's weaknesses so I made sure I had everything in place defense wise with the play calling (and I gambled a bit here and there )
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM   #42
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotShot232
I am to BUT you gotta to agree, there is no way in hell we are going to get the NFL license back. Did u see the madden coverage on TV this year, they were at training camps interviewing players about their ratings in madden and it was this HUGE to do. The NFL and madden is a lock down.

What I want is the expanded version of this game with better edit options, PLUS negative abilities. There should be both postives and negatives.

Example
Rex Grossman
Cannon arm
Shaken easily (cause bad passes under pressure )

All in all I am extremely happy with this years game, will last me for years to come.
That's not a bad idea. I'm glad it wasn't added this year , the negatives, because if you ask me it adds more to the game to find out for yourself what negatives the players do have. But being the game came out like this next years can have the negatives as by then we should all know them anyway. So it's like this year we're scouting the game from the beginning. Next year we'll be more knowledgeable about the game and it's players. Get it? lol. Yeah i know.

As far as the NFL license. Thats a mixed bag. I don't want to lose the little stuff in this game that makes it so much fun. HOWEVER , I have a feeling that the NFL is soon going to let EA do the things it wouldn't let any company do before negating the advantage 2K has with some animations and gameplay features.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 AM   #43
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
I am to BUT you gotta to agree, there is no way in hell we are going to get the NFL license back. Did u see the madden coverage on TV this year, they were at training camps interviewing players about their ratings in madden and it was this HUGE to do. The NFL and madden is a lock down.

What I want is the expanded version of this game with better edit options, PLUS negative abilities. There should be both postives and negatives.

Example
Rex Grossman
Cannon arm

All in all I am extremely happy with this years game, will last me for years to come.
Yeah, it will be an uphill battle to get the NFL license back, to say the least. But if I am 2k, and I see that the nfl won't move on the license, then I make a fully customizable game. After playing this baby, they could definitely pull it off.

I like the negative abilities thing.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #44
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:

Example
Rex Grossman
Cannon arm

Great point, and definitely something that they could expand upon in next year's game, though it really is in this year's game to some extent. For example, take the "tough as nails ability." I've just started exploring this one, and guys with it throw cleaner balls more consistently when under duress; guys without it have a higher tendency to throw wobblers or just miss targets altogether when pressured. And of course, some guys just can't roll out, some can't catch with a corner draped on them, and some can't run clean multi-cut routes (Cliff Branch on the corner-post is killing me--he slips all the **** time). I think with this game there are definitely things guys can't do, you just have to find out by playing. It would certainly be easier to know via a stipulated attribute system, but I actually kindof like the way they did it this year, making you get to know your guys and underdoing the ratings thing compared to other games. The exploration element is fun for me, and I am certain that there are built in can't-do's. Another example from my Radiers team is Lester Hayes: he'll manhandle dudes, but with no quick feet or coverage bonus, he's pretty vulnerable when the route has time to develop; you've got to have decent pressure and some safety help in case he winds up having to run around for three to four seconds for him to be successful.

Anyway, this isn't really to disagree with your post, just to put a slightly different spin on it. This game has so much potential, though, that I'm sure they could expand to the type of negative system you're talking about and do it really well.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #45
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:

Example
Rex Grossman
Cannon arm

This would make a good thread topic. The only way I see VC making an NFL title is if the license is made available to everyone and not one single dev. It doesn't seem to make sense for most publishers to pony up the money to make it exclusive. Granted the NFL license is a HUGE advantage.

Either way, to chime in on the signature styles... I agree. While not perfect, I think they knocked one out of the park w/what they did in the 1st year. RBs are easily distinguished by their various styles; even WRs have their own distinctive feel. For example, Cliff Branch, Yancy Thigpen, and Herman Moore are all bronzes, yet they all feel distinctly different. QBs are the same. On defense the differences aren't as pronounced, but they're still there. I immediately know Joey Browner or Jack Lambert for example. I love seeing how some players seem more confrontational than others, getting into shoving matches or whatnot. Think they did a very underrated job w/the player personalities

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

I thought I would never say this: But I dont care if they get the NFL license back.

I prefer this - I love the legends and frankly outside of a few select players, even to a football geek like myself - most NFL players are simply "generics" anyways. I mean, really, whats the difference between Shaun MacDonald & Emmanuel Husek? Not much, IMO....Nothing that excites me anyways....So I can certainly live with the generics....

All they have to do is keep adding legends, keep making them diverse, open up some of the options - such as having a dedicated special teams slot - and then just make it mega customizeable....

Me, a self-proclaimed franchise geek - wont buy a title without confirmation of franchise mode and I love 2k8. I suddenly dont care about signing FA deals. Let me pick players and just play. Let me add/release players as I want without salary implications. The way I play - 2k8 DOES have a franchise mode. I change the teams constantly.....

I am not a 2k8 fanboy - Madden is perfectly ok with me, I have NO gripes about it. I just am in love with the legends, the concept and the gameplay is special to me.....I tried to play 2k5 with updated rosters and quit within the first hour - it was just not the same....
Old 08-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
This would make a good thread topic. The only way I see VC making an NFL title is if the license is made available to everyone and not one single dev. It doesn't seem to make sense for most publishers to pony up the money to make it exclusive. Granted the NFL license is a HUGE advantage.

Either way, to chime in on the signature styles... I agree. While not perfect, I think they knocked one out of the park w/what they did in the 1st year. RBs are easily distinguished by their various styles; even WRs have their own distinctive feel. For example, Cliff Branch, Yancy Thigpen, and Herman Moore are all bronzes, yet they all feel distinctly different. QBs are the same. On defense the differences aren't as pronounced, but they're still there. I immediately know Joey Browner or Jack Lambert for example. I love seeing how some players seem more confrontational than others, getting into shoving matches or whatnot. Think they did a very underrated job w/the player personalities
Nice illustration with the bronze WRs. I've had all three, and the are so different. Branch is on my Raiders team, and he is about as contact-shy as they come and prone to make the highlight-reel catch but drop a catchable ball from time to time. Thigpen has a size advantage and is more sure-handed, but he's not the over-the-middle guy that Moore is, whom I can take on drag routes with abandon knowing that safeties and linebackers aren't going to intimidate him into drops. And then there's Rocket Ismail, who will drop balls, but who who has more tackle breaking ability than the other bronze's I've played with, runs a good reverse, and has a propensity for game-changing plays, even if he's not the most consisntent or the guy you want to go to on curl routes.

Not that this makes the concept of the negatve attribute moot, but it defines a player's personality sufficiently for me and is extrememly well done, though I understand the perspective of those who wish that all players' abilities were more transparent (some guys play really fast but aren't labelled "speed burners," for example).

And you're also right about the defensive guys, especially the hitters. Guys who arrive with authority are so noticeable on this game; I'm half surprised I don't fumble every time I get rocked by Browner or Lott. I wonder if this has an effect on stamina or confidence--does anyone have a word on this or any evidence beyond the "big hit/ alligator arms thing"?

I kindof don't care about the license as well, Lorax, so you're not alone. Most guys are average with a little better ability at skill X tha their peers, and there are definitely guys with that little bit of X who can make or break a game if utilized correctly or put out of position. I just want this game to keep being made by the folks that are making it. I love the legends, but I'd take an all-generic team, and I'll be happy with a tuned and expanded version of this concept if the licence isn't really going to be up for grabs (and given the Madden commercials during games, the saturation on ESPN, etc., I don't see this partnership ending soon either).
Old 08-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Nice illustration with the bronze WRs. I've had all three, and the are so different. Branch is on my Raiders team, and he is about as contact-shy as they come and prone to make the highlight-reel catch but drop a catchable ball from time to time. Thigpen has a size advantage and is more sure-handed, but he's not the over-the-middle guy that Moore is, whom I can take on drag routes with abandon knowing that safeties and linebackers aren't going to intimidate him into drops. And then there's Rocket Ismail, who will drop balls, but who who has more tackle breaking ability than the other bronze's I've played with, runs a good reverse, and has a propensity for game-changing plays, even if he's not the most consisntent or the guy you want to go to on curl routes.

Not that this makes the concept of the negatve attribute moot, but it defines a player's personality sufficiently for me and is extrememly well done, though I understand the perspective of those who wish that all players' abilities were more transparent (some guys play really fast but aren't labelled "speed burners," for example).

And you're also right about the defensive guys, especially the hitters. Guys who arrive with authority are so noticeable on this game; I'm half surprised I don't fumble every time I get rocked by Browner or Lott. I wonder if this has an effect on stamina or confidence--does anyone have a word on this or any evidence beyond the "big hit/ alligator arms thing"?

I kindof don't care about the license as well, Lorax, so you're not alone. Most guys are average with a little better ability at skill X tha their peers, and there are definitely guys with that little bit of X who can make or break a game if utilized correctly or put out of position. I just want this game to keep being made by the folks that are making it. I love the legends, but I'd take an all-generic team, and I'll be happy with a tuned and expanded version of this concept if the licence isn't really going to be up for grabs (and given the Madden commercials during games, the saturation on ESPN, etc., I don't see this partnership ending soon either).
I notice every thing you say about Branch being true. He's very contact shy and if a DB is around him he's probably going to drop it. That's why I also have John Taylor He's a different story. I might trade Branch out for Rob Moore but then lose that deep threat down the field. Moore is more consistent.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »