Home

MLB reaction time

This is a discussion on MLB reaction time within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2007, 02:15 AM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: MLB reaction time

And dont tell him to assign the MLB to the RB.
What if its a pass? No MLB in the NFL is that stupid sitting in zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #26
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganone
Here's a video that might show what I'm trying to say. The white splotch at the top of the screen is Jessie Tuggle, instead of filling the hole he just stands there and gets blocked.

See, now that is a F grade right there. That's one of the things I've been saying all along. In the NFL they have a name for a player that is clueless like that and it is roster cut. In real life, Jessie had the nickname Hammer for how fast he tracked down RB's and the lethal hits he delivered to them. Well too bad that doesn't happen here
Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganone
Here's a video that might show what I'm trying to say. The white splotch at the top of the screen is Jessie Tuggle, instead of filling the hole he just stands there and gets blocked.

this is a very good example of why i agree with the OP. if the off. is running a stretch play, you'll see the whole offense line move out to make their blocks. now in real life, the d line and the linebackers follow the flow of the o-line, which is how the cutback lanes open up. in this game it just doesnt happen. on stretch running plays (and ones similar) the o-line moves to the side the rb is going basically making a new line from where the play originally started. i hope you guys know what i mean by that. the d is supposed to read it, and adjust, with backside defenders staying hoome to watch for cutbacks. in apf the o lines do indeed move, but the defense doesnt "flow" to the ball the way they should. watch a colts,broncos,or falcon game. when they do that stretch play, or one of denver's PA rollouts, watch the D. thats part of the reason reverses and fake reverses are not as effective in this game as they should be. last sunday i spent over an hour in practice mode observing the mlb and the d's flow to the ball. the mlb hesitates waay too long. even on tosses and sweeps, with is stupid if he's manned up with the ball carrier. then he follow the rb much sooner than he does. its funny i fired the 'ol BOX to expriment with this in practice mode but i decided to check the forums first. and the o lineman ARE psychic. it you have 7 guys right the line, the linemen will know exactly who to block. even if its a zone dog. in 2k5 the linemen would wait and see if the guy right in front of him was rushing, THEN he would help out others. not slide to the left immediately when the lb is standing right over him. and another problem i noticed: if you blitz your outside linebacker, the o=line will adjust, sliding the protection over, like your supposed to. BUT, when the center slides over to block the d tackle, its way to easy for him to get a good block. with the o line having to slide over like that, the dt should already have a step on the center right off the bat. sometimes the center gets beat, but man, does he do an excellent job getting over there, in fact too good of a job. i hope i made some sense and sorry for the long post fellow OS'ers, lol. go to practice mode and try it out.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:34 AM   #28
Mainstream Outlaw

Kruza's Arena

OVR: 39
Thumbs down Re: MLB reaction time

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
See, now that is a F grade right there. That's one of the things I've been saying all along. In the NFL they have a name for a player that is clueless like that and it is roster cut. In real life, Jessie had the nickname Hammer for how fast he tracked down RB's and the lethal hits he delivered to them. Well too bad that doesn't happen here

Yeah. Linebackers should be able to read and diagnose a run play from the moment they recognize the footwork and actions of the guards on the o-line right after the ball is snapped. This is especially the case for great run-stopping, play-making LBs. But on APF 2K8 they all "read & react" way too late.

Kruza
Old 08-29-2007, 12:56 PM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdunks4eva

this is a very good example of why i agree with the OP. if the off. is running a stretch play, you'll see the whole offense line move out to make their blocks. now in real life, the d line and the linebackers follow the flow of the o-line, which is how the cutback lanes open up. in this game it just doesnt happen. on stretch running plays (and ones similar) the o-line moves to the side the rb is going basically making a new line from where the play originally started. i hope you guys know what i mean by that. the d is supposed to read it, and adjust, with backside defenders staying hoome to watch for cutbacks. in apf the o lines do indeed move, but the defense doesnt "flow" to the ball the way they should. watch a colts,broncos,or falcon game. when they do that stretch play, or one of denver's PA rollouts, watch the D. thats part of the reason reverses and fake reverses are not as effective in this game as they should be. last sunday i spent over an hour in practice mode observing the mlb and the d's flow to the ball. the mlb hesitates waay too long. even on tosses and sweeps, with is stupid if he's manned up with the ball carrier. then he follow the rb much sooner than he does. its funny i fired the 'ol BOX to expriment with this in practice mode but i decided to check the forums first. and the o lineman ARE psychic. it you have 7 guys right the line, the linemen will know exactly who to block. even if its a zone dog. in 2k5 the linemen would wait and see if the guy right in front of him was rushing, THEN he would help out others. not slide to the left immediately when the lb is standing right over him. and another problem i noticed: if you blitz your outside linebacker, the o=line will adjust, sliding the protection over, like your supposed to. BUT, when the center slides over to block the d tackle, its way to easy for him to get a good block. with the o line having to slide over like that, the dt should already have a step on the center right off the bat. sometimes the center gets beat, but man, does he do an excellent job getting over there, in fact too good of a job. i hope i made some sense and sorry for the long post fellow OS'ers, lol. go to practice mode and try it out.
Perfect sense to me
I don't know how anyone can argue with that. Oline psychic, and superfast. I've seen animations where the center blocks 1 guy, then switches to block another guy. Very stupid soft defense.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I had this problem with my OLB last night. It was a toss to Roger Craig, he caught the ball, started running wide, and my OLB hadn't moved an inch. In fact, he stood there until the tackle, who was easily three to five yards away from him, had gotten between him and Craig, and got sucked up by the block.

And I agree that your shouldn't always have to hot route LBs to RBs in this game to get to them in a reasonable amount of time, which is what ends up happening. Real players can read a play and react, as those above me have said. In this game, however, if you hot route a defensive player to an offensive player, that puts him totally out of position to make a play if you don't get what you're looking for, so in essence you're forced to gamble at a little higher stakes and a little more frequently than you should otherwise be.

Of course I'm not saying that you should be able to call any defense and have a reasonable chance at stopping any play, but I don't think you should have to sell out as completely as it seems you do to stop the running game or at least keep it reasonably in check.

Great video of Tuggle, by the way. I remember watching him in his All Pro years, and that definitely didn't do him justice. I feel like I do better taking a generic MLB, reading the guards, and blowing up blocking schemes than letting a high pick go wasted like that. He basically sat on his heels until the center came out to block him. IRL, he'd have been at a hard angle to the hole almost off the snap.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #31
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

In a past thread i read the legend LB's are useless. So I made a defense w/

Ronnie Lott, Jack Tatum, Terry McDaniel, another bronze CB, Too Tall Jones, William Perry, and Clyde Simmons.

The defense I have now is a hell of a lot better than the defense I had before which consisted of:

Tatum, McDaniel, Chris Speilman(who i still think is a beast in coverage), LT(obviously created), Perry, and Too Tall Jones.

As far as run support, I don't think the Legend LB's are as much of a factor(not to say their not a factor period) as they should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2007, 05:14 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

Shizno--I've ultimately gone that route myself, preferring safeties who can make plays in the passing game and penetrate and deliver blows in the run game. The LBs to me are more for eating up blocks and getting the initial hit on the runner. The two that I've had who have definitely been worth it, though, are Lloyd and Bednarik. Those two have a way of sifting through trash that most other guys I've seen don't. On the whole, though, I'll take a generic LB core and the run support I get from Tatum, Albert Lewis, and Willie Brown on my Raiders team over an all-legend LB squad.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »