Home

Making APF2K9 NeXT GeN...

This is a discussion on Making APF2K9 NeXT GeN... within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2007, 04:31 PM   #17
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Making APF2K9 NeXT GeN...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Yes ur right but that still does not give VC an excuse to bring out a game on that graphic level like APF. Graphically the game is weak. I dont care what anyone says. Out of all my games APF is the weakest in graphics period. Gameplay is a different story.
Why APF doesn't look good during gameplay is because the grass, lighting & self shadowing isn't there, but if you go into replay mode it's a different story. APF when in Replay Mode looks beautiful & the detail is stunning.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
agreed

its the same engine for the last 5 years, madden does this same BS and gets criticized for it, so should 2k. It's supposed to be a tweaked 2k5, and yet a majorities of 2k5's problems still existed. I dont even care about franchise since I never touch any offline stuff. But the fact that you can't even do simple things like have your own separate online setup is annoying. 5 years and you still have to watch the other guy spend 5 minutes on subs. Just shows how VC doesn't polish their games at all. The AI problems have been posted in numerous threads already.

LOL, madden was criticized because its engine was not capable of things other games had been doing , and doing well for years. TOTALY diffrent scenarios.
Video game football had evolved way beyond : two charators meet, animation triggered, play over.

but EA's engine was behind in technology......huge diffrence in that and whats is going on in this thread

Last edited by TeeDogg; 09-15-2007 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon5 Re: Making APF2K9 NeXT GeN...

metallicatz intimated, "And 'next gen' doesn't simply refer to visuals."

True enough. That is why my second post in this thread focused upon Collision Detection. I will likely cover other areas such as Physics and AI in greater detail later. Further, if you'll read the initial post you may realize with a bit of concentration that I am responding to other folks' complaints regarding the graphics of this game more so than actually complaining about them myself.

metallicatz continued, "It's funny, the 2K fanboys are starting to sound like the Wii-tards trying to say that next gen simply means better visuals. Not true by any stretch of the imagination."

That's strange... It's been my experience that fans of the Nintendo Wii champion gameplay over graphics. It seems we have that point of view in common, yes.

metallicatz ventured, "If you guys want to keep paying $60 for something you paid $20 3 years ago......go for it."

Seeing as most of us already own All Pro Football 2K8, hence the reason we discuss the game in all its glory and foibles here to begin with, there is no need for us to keep on paying anything at all for it. Besides, if you'd like to buy the game for a friend or relative, I suggest you check your local sales circulars in the newspaper. APF2K8 has been sold NEW for $39.99 at retail for most of the past two weeks. Plus, rumor has it one can aquire a used copy for under twenty bucks on eBay.

Now, if you'll pardon the adults here who are actually able to read, you may excuse yourself now. Enjoy your 800 yard passing games in Madden 08. Goodbye.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Old 09-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeDogg
LOL, madden was criticized because its engine was not capapbel of things other games had been doing , and doing well for years. TOTALY diffrent scenarios.
Video game football had evolved way beyond : two charators meet, animation triggered, play over.

but EA's engine was behind in technology......huge diffrence in that and whats is going on in this thread
And what's the difference from 2k's engine? 2 characters meet, triggers an animation. THe only difference is 3 can trigger animations in 2k games and the amount of animations in 2k's games.
Animations are nicer and more fluid in 2k I agree, but it's still the same model that all sports game has used for the last 10 years.
Characters meet, canned animations, it's all the same.

Next gen = physics engines, period. The technology is obviously there, the problem is only 2k and EA makes football games. EA is lazy, 2k has no man power.

to RED RONIN: why are you telling him to go play madden? God forbids he critiques the game.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #21
MVP

Quote:
And what's the difference from 2k's engine? 2 characters meet, triggers an animation. THe only difference is 3 can trigger animations in 2k games and the amount of animations in 2k's games.
Animations are nicer and more fluid in 2k I agree, but it's still the same model that all sports game has used for the last 10 years.
Characters meet, canned animations, it's all the same.

Next gen = physics engines, period. The technology is obviously there, the problem is only 2k and EA makes football games. EA is lazy, 2k has no man power.
you were still in control after players met, grappling matches, breaking out of tackles at multiple points during a tackle animation, defenders grabing your upper body, falling to the waist, then finaly ending up trying to make a shoe string tackle, all based on user input and unfolding diffrently each time. with what seemed like endless variations and outcomes based on the playeres input and other players on the field. i could go into great detail but it would take alot of typing LOL

i do admit apf lost a little of this element but its still there, and was insane in 2k5
EDIT: you could run into defenders who were not in position to tackle you and get varied realistic results, not get tackled by the sphere around them, the had to grab you. next gen to me means more of this and if physics engines are on the horizon fine, im all for it, but other than a few ggames idont think its beeing used that widely , its new technology, no one garaunteed true physics on these titles at this stage . its just wishing by us

Last edited by TeeDogg; 09-15-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2007, 05:08 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 6

Right, but it doesn't use anything other than scripted ratings made by 2k. There's no weight or speed calculated into the equation. You can create a 500 pound defensive tackle and try to tackle a gold 100 pound runningback. If that runningback has 99 power rating, he'll break the tackle.

This game is still based on ratings and animations. That's why people use so much time tweaking sliders. If they use a physics engine, you shouldn't need much tweaking. You can't tweak the laws of physics much . Physics truely has endless "animations" while 2k can only motion film so many per year.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:11 PM   #23
MVP

Quote:
Right, but it doesn't use anything other than scripted ratings made by 2k. There's no weight or speed calculated into the equation. You can create a 500 pound defensive tackle and try to tackle a gold 100 pound runningback. If that runningback has 99 power rating, he'll break the tackle.

This game is still based on ratings and animations. That's why people use so much time tweaking sliders. If they use a physics engine, you shouldn't need much tweaking. You can't tweak the laws of physics much

I agree, but i was talking about the difrence in what 2ks engine was capable of during the times when whe were saying EA's engine was dated. people seem to want to play the same card one 2K now, aand the situations are totaly diffrent is all im saying
Old 09-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 3

dunnelly: He irked me slightly with the 2K Fanboys & Wii-Tards comment. Usually that means someone is firmly in the Madden camp. I've not seen his posts in that forum as I don't believe I'm welcome there.

"EA is lazy, 2k has no man power."

Precisely.

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »